« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 15 posts | 
by Mark Picard on Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:56 pm
Mark Picard
Forum Contributor
I'm considering getting a Wacom tablet for my every day image processing, and was wondering what model you would recommend. I have never used a tablet before and would like to keep the costs reasonable ($500.-ish). It looks like once you get the hang of it it would make PP quicker and easier. Thanks
Mark Picard
Maine Photography Workshops

by signgrap on Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:09 am
signgrap
Lifetime Member
Member #:00424
Mark, not sure if it will be faster using a tablet but it is certainly more accurate (the larger the tablet the more accurate it potentially is but in some ways more difficult to use). People who are use to using a pen/pencil for drawing/illustrating adapt more quickly to a tablet. The learning curve can be frustrating if you've used a mouse for years, as the mouse would be quicker since you are so accustomed to using it. So it takes some dedication to learn to use a tablet. Most people need to stop using the mouse altogether and just use the tablet for EVERYTHING they do on the computer until they master the pen and tablet.
Dick Ludwig

by EGrav on Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:55 am
EGrav
Forum Contributor
I use Wacom Intuos Pro Small. It does take some time to get used to it, but it is worth it (for me.) I think the biggest mistake people make with tablet is getting one that is too large. I use it for single and dual display. I did have a Medium in the past and it was too large - you had to make such long strokes. (Hope I am explaining it correctly.) Anyway, I think it is a personal preference and can increase your productivity. It's also kinda' fun to use!  :D

by Buckmaster on Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:06 am
Buckmaster
Forum Contributor
Mark, I think you will find out they work really well. I bought the cheapest Wacom I could find  $80 and probably
smallest size also, just to try it. I found the first time using it, I was getting frustrated with it, but second use was so much
better. It is so easy now and gives you pinpoint accuracy. Great for wildlife editing, where selective edits are being used..With
your knowledge in editing I think you will find it a big time saver and will be easier than a mouse..I will leave the model
recommendations to other experts in editing..

by Cynthia Crawford on Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:21 am
Cynthia Crawford
Member #:00733
Hi Mark

I've used one for years-I have a medium size. It is on a shelf that pulls out from beneath my keyboard so it's not taking up desk space. If you do a lot of repetitive work, it is far easier on your hand than a mouse, and much easier to be accurate. You can click on the pen to change cursor size and shapes. I don't bother with the side buttons- just basically use it like a pen. I also don't use it for everything- for me it doesn't work as well as a mouse for simple functions like clicking on pages. But it can be done. Some people with hand fatigue find the pen much more restful to use- you don't have to hold down the mouse clicker for continuous lines, for instance.

Enjoy!
Cynthia (Cindy) Crawford-Moderator, Photo & Digital Art
web site: http://www.creaturekinships.net
"If I Keep a Green Bough in My Heart, the Singing Bird Will Come"  Chinese Proverb

by Ed Cordes on Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:16 pm
Ed Cordes
Forum Contributor
Member #:00700
I recently got a medium size and like it. It did take a bit to get used to it. Some things like moving sliders in Lightroom are still easier using a mouse, but I love the pressure sensitive option for painting in the effects of various tools like doge and burn, eraser, and several other brushes. I also find it much more accurate when doing selections. All in all a good addition.
Remember, a little mild insanity keeps us healthy

by Jeff Colburn on Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:23 pm
Jeff Colburn
Forum Contributor
Hi,

I've been using a small Wacom Bamboo tablet for years, and love it. It allows for fast and accurate retouching. It works great with art programs, signing PDF forms and much more.

I really want a Wacom Cintiq, but that's a major hit in the wallet.

Have Fun,
Jeff
Fine Art Prints and Stock Photography of Arizona www.JeffColburn.com See my ebooks in the NatureScapes Store.

by Justin C on Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:23 pm
Justin C
Forum Contributor
I use the Wacom Intuous Medium and can highly recommend it. I've owned it for several years now and couldn't be without it. I use it for everything and it's replaced a mouse completely. The medium is a good size as it allows more precision than the smaller sized tablets. You can make the tablets useable area smaller if you wish on the medium tablet, but you can't make a small tablet larger, so you have the best of both worlds with the medium size. The radial wheel and express buttons are a godsend and well worth the extra cost of the more basic units that don't have them IMO.
The Wacom takes a while to get used to if you've used a mouse for years, but stick with it and it''ll become second nature. Putting the mouse away completely and using the Wacom for everything dramatically speeds up the time it takes to become 100% comfortable with it.
Justin

by Mark Picard on Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:06 pm
Mark Picard
Forum Contributor
I just wanted to thank everyone that's replied to my post. It looks like the medium Wacom will fill the bill for me. I am a little frightened about getting used to it after YEARS of just using a mouse! It's also funny as I am left handed in real life, but learned the mouse from the right hand! Put that mouse in my left hand and it feels strange. As a child my father was a golfer and taught me to golf right handed (his clubs were right handed). Swinging a golf club left handed feels awkward. Playing baseball I hit left handed like normal. All my artwork, writing, and painting is accomplished from the left side. I hope I learn the Waycom tablet from the left side! Thanks again everyone.  8)
Mark Picard

by Eia on Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:53 pm
Eia
Forum Contributor
Mark Picard wrote:I just wanted to thank everyone that's replied to my post. It looks like the medium Wacom will fill the bill for me. I am a little frightened about getting used to it after YEARS of just using a mouse! It's also funny as I am left handed in real life, but learned the mouse from the right hand! Put that mouse in my left hand and it feels strange. As a child my father was a golfer and taught me to golf right handed (his clubs were right handed). Swinging a golf club left handed feels awkward. Playing baseball I hit left handed like normal. All my artwork, writing, and painting is accomplished from the left side. I hope I learn the Waycom tablet from the left side! Thanks again everyone.  8)
My left is dominant, I throw left handed but swing right and I write right. I know what you mean about you learning with golf club.  The tablet allows me both. My two sons are totally left handed but had to learn the mouse right handed and they cannot use a mouse left handed. anyway, having said all that… The pad really is good for detail regardless of left or right-handed. I still use the mouse for basic things. For me the pad  seem to be a natural learning transition. Let us know how it works for you . 
~AnnaMaria~

by Mark Picard on Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:08 pm
Mark Picard
Forum Contributor
Eia wrote:
Mark Picard wrote:I just wanted to thank everyone that's replied to my post. It looks like the medium Wacom will fill the bill for me. I am a little frightened about getting used to it after YEARS of just using a mouse! It's also funny as I am left handed in real life, but learned the mouse from the right hand! Put that mouse in my left hand and it feels strange. As a child my father was a golfer and taught me to golf right handed (his clubs were right handed). Swinging a golf club left handed feels awkward. Playing baseball I hit left handed like normal. All my artwork, writing, and painting is accomplished from the left side. I hope I learn the Waycom tablet from the left side! Thanks again everyone.  8)
My left is dominant, I throw left handed but swing right and I write right. I know what you mean about you learning with golf club.  The tablet allows me both. My two sons are totally left handed but had to learn the mouse right handed and they cannot use a mouse left handed. anyway, having said all that… The pad really is good for detail regardless of left or right-handed. I still use the mouse for basic things. For me the pad  seem to be a natural learning transition. Let us know how it works for you . 
Will do Anna Maria!
Mark Picard

by stephenschu3 on Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:35 pm
stephenschu3
Forum Contributor
I know this thread is over a year old but this question is for Mark, after a years time do you still use a Wacom and what are your thoughts as far as making image editing "easier"? I'm thinking about purchasing one and just wanted to get your opinion
Thanks

by Ed Cordes on Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:29 pm
Ed Cordes
Forum Contributor
Member #:00700
I am using mine since November 2016 and love it. See new post with an issue with which the Wacom people were extremely helpful. In the mean time I find the biggest advantages of the tablet are the precision in drawing lines to outline things, the ability to precisely control the opacity of what you are applying(clone, paint, erase, etc.), and the ability to have the express keys do the PS shortcuts. Hope this helps.
Remember, a little mild insanity keeps us healthy

by Ron Day on Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:41 pm
Ron Day
Lifetime Member
Member #:00819
stephenschu3 wrote:I know this thread is over a year old but this question is for Mark, after a years time do you still use a Wacom and what are your thoughts as far as making image editing "easier"? I'm thinking about purchasing one and just wanted to get your opinion
Thanks
Yes, Mark, how are you liking your Tablet after a year or so?

by stephenschu3 on Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:15 pm
stephenschu3
Forum Contributor
Ed Cordes wrote:I am using mine since November 2016 and love it.  See new post with an issue with which the Wacom people were extremely helpful.  In the mean time I find the biggest advantages of the tablet are the precision in drawing lines to outline things, the ability to precisely control the opacity of what you are applying(clone, paint, erase, etc.), and the ability to have the express keys do the PS shortcuts.  Hope this helps.

I've been on the fence about buying a programmable mouse or a refurbished Intuos Pro medium, precise control is what I'm looking for as making selections and making it easier to do layer masks, thanks for your help

15 posts |