« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 6 posts | 
by Tim Zurowski on Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:39 pm
Tim Zurowski
Forum Contributor
I am currently running a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 Ti on a i7-3820 CPU @ 3.60 GHz with 32 GB RAM system. I know this video card is getting a bit dated, so would I benefit in anyway by upgrading it? If yes, in what ways would I see improvements? I am not having any issues at all with my system, and it performs admirably for my needs. I guess I am just curious if a GPU update would improve anything.

Cheers
tz

by E.J. Peiker on Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:42 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
There isn't really enough info in your post, Tim, to give you a real good answer. Wile you would likely see some improvement, unless you now have a greater demand than you did, it probably won't be too much. You didn't say what about your use makes you think that it might improve. Things like a much higher megapixel camera, more complex work flow, video, 3D rendering, etc...

by DChan on Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:00 pm
DChan
Forum Contributor
E.J. is right. Some improvement - at least theoretically - but is that material?

by Tim Zurowski on Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:27 pm
Tim Zurowski
Forum Contributor
For use with Photoshop, HDR images, photo stacking, etc. I just wasn't sure if my card was so outdated that a new card would make some significant improvements. I do not know enough about GPU improvements to know what info you would need in my post.

by Mike in O on Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:18 pm
Mike in O
Forum Contributor
I just got a pyn? nividia 1050 (will fit in slot without going to power supply and twice the gigs and ddr5 than my nivdia 645) My machine was getting a bit slow with the 42mpix sensor 99II with 4k. Big improvement.

by ericbowles on Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:18 am
ericbowles
Forum Contributor
Normally the big advantage of a video card upgrade is for faster rendering of images. If you find speed of loading graphics and video is a problem, that's a potential solution.

The related question is whether your video card is really the weak point in your setup. For example, I recently got a new laptop - a very light 13 inch Dell 2 in 1 touchscreen laptop. But when calibrating, I found that the monitor only displays 66% of sRGB. That's a very narrow gamut compared to my NEC monitor that displays more than 100% of AdobeRGB. I can use the laptop to process images and it has plenty of power. The video card - the same as yours - is adequate. I upgraded to 15 GB of RAM which helps processing speed. But in my case, it would be of little benefit to upgrade the video card because the laptops monitor is currently operating fine and won't display a wider gamut with a new card.
Eric Bowles
BowlesImages

6 posts |