« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 11 posts | 
by sternhagen on Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:46 pm
sternhagen
Forum Contributor
I have been using Color Eyes Display Pro calibration software on my Mac for several years. Have been trying to contact Integrated Color Corporation through its website without success and am assuming it went out of business. Perhaps someone who has been using CED could confirm is this is true.
    Regards
    sternhagen

by Royce Howland on Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:41 pm
Royce Howland
Forum Contributor
Member #:00460
I don't believe they're technically out of business, but neither are they apparently all that much in business either. From some comments around the net, nobody is having any luck getting ahold of them these days. Their website says their online store is closed, and the software hasn't been updated in some years. If you can keep running the old Color Eyes Display Pro software to good effect, fair enough. But if you need new operating system or colorimeter support, it's probably time to switch to a going concern.
Royce Howland

by sternhagen on Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:14 pm
sternhagen
Forum Contributor
To Royce:
   Thank you for confirming my suspicions. The CED software ran very well for several years on my Eizo CG222W monitor, whereas the Eizo calibration software in time turned its beautiful monitor into a green and pink disaster—a problem Eizo support could never solve. I am transitioning from Apple Snow Leopard 10.6.8 to El Capitan 10.11.6 and will have to do something to replace my old Spyder3Pro. I am uncertain what to do as I read about all the customer support complaints relative to Spyder and X-Rite products. Seems to be a case of choosing the least worse and hoping for a good outcome on the Eizo CG222W.
   Regards
   sternhagen.

by E.J. Peiker on Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:24 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
I sent them a support request to change license from an older computer to a newer computer using the same support link that I have done that with in the past. This was several months ago now and I did it four times, never got a response. Their website is up and they will take your money but they seem to have disappeared of the face of the earth as far as any after sales support.

by Royce Howland on Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:54 am
Royce Howland
Forum Contributor
There are no particular issues with the X-Rite i1Display Pro that I'm aware of. I use a broad range of X-Rite products quite heavily on many different systems, and recommend them to all clients who need something. Given that you're planning an OS upgrade, plus you've been running the Spyder3 which was not a great device even in its day, I'd say it's a good time to switch things up regardless of what's going on with Integrated Color.
Royce Howland

by E.J. Peiker on Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:47 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Royce Howland wrote:I'd say it's a good time to switch things up regardless of what's going on with Integrated Color.
And that's exactly what I did, there was a Cyber Monday sale for just $88 for the Spyder 5 Elite Pro so I snatched that up for calibrating my other displays that aren't the NEC Spectraview type (laptop and iMac).

by Tim Zurowski on Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:48 pm
Tim Zurowski
Forum Contributor
I am about due for upgrading my calibration tools (still using the old Gretag MacBeth Eye One Display 2). So looking at the Spyder 5 system B&H lists a Spyder5Elite version ($200) and a Spyder5Pro version ($140). It is not apparent to me what the main differences are? Is the "Pro" version considered to be a good choice?

by E.J. Peiker on Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:04 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Tim Zurowski wrote:I am about due for upgrading my calibration tools (still using the old Gretag MacBeth Eye One Display 2). So looking at the Spyder 5 system B&H lists a Spyder5Elite version ($200) and a Spyder5Pro version ($140). It is not apparent to me what the main differences are? Is the "Pro" version considered to be a good choice?
If you can wait for one of their sales, I got the top end tool for under $100 (US).  They have a comparison table of the different versions on their site but right now the site appears to be down.

by sternhagen on Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:58 pm
sternhagen
Forum Contributor
To E.J. and Royce and Tim:
   I agree with your suggestion that it is time to switch though the process is not an easy task for me. The beauty of CED Display Pro is that it conducts the entire calibration process without requiring user to manipulate the display buttons on front of monitor. On an Eizo CG222W with its small black buttons and confusing screen interface this is an impediment discovered when testing updated Spyder3Pro software last night on a third drive on my four drive Mac Pro with El Capitan V,10.11.6. Eizo Color Navigator calibration software also handled the calibration process on my two Snow Leopard drives without requiring button manipulation until it turned the CG222W into a pink and green disaster a few years back. I must complete my research on the X-Rite i1Display Pro to see if it handles calibration process without the display button pushing. Will try to find demo of X-Rite Display Pro on You Tube and see it it mandates button pushing.
   Though the above logic may seem strange it is because I must keep my two Snow Leopard drives running indefinitely. Certain financial and spreadsheet apps run better in their legacy versions than in their current versions and won't run on El Capitan. One big concern is that if I select a calibration package to run on the El Capitan drive that requires pushing the Eizo buttons in order to calibrate it will impact the CED Display Pro calibration on the two Snow Leopard drives and I don't want to mess that up—and current Spyder5 Pro and i1Display apps don't work on Snow Leopard.
  This is less about price than working my way through a Gordian knot of conflicting software and system needs in order to get a variety of work done on a Mac Pro with three drives and separate systems, in which I must manuver between drives.
  I hope I have explained this complex situation in an understandable way and do appreciate the advice all of you have provided, it has helped
     Regards
     sternhagen

by Royce Howland on Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:48 pm
Royce Howland
Forum Contributor
i1Profiler almost certainly will NOT drive the Eizo monitor by itself. You will have to manipulate the monitor on-screen controls to calibrate it. The same will be true of the Spyder software if you get a Spyder5. There's unfortunately no way out of that unless you can get Eizo to figure out why ColorNavigator isn't working properly. Honestly, it could possibly be because of the Spyder3; ColorNavigator with a current device might be fine.

Thanks to Apple for creating a colour management nightmare over the last several releases of Mac OS X. Because of changes in ColorSync and other OS-level functions to do with monitor communication, plus rendering forward/backward compatibility virtually impossible at certain points, you're likely not going to have a seamless colour experience with your multiple environments any more. My advice is cut your losses for colour management. If you need to keep Snow Leopard running for financial apps, then punt on the colour management in that environment. Bring everything up to date in El Capitan or whatever the current release du jour is, and forget about the past.

The debacle of Mac OS X stability, in specific with colour management but also with the increasing on-going challenge of general forward/backward compatibility, is one reason we're eliminating Mac OS X out of the production line in our high-end print shop this year. We'll keep it around to run a proprietary point-of-sale system that's Mac-only (another decision that likely will never be repeated). But we just can't keep putting up with Apple's Gordian knot as you aptly describe it...
Royce Howland

by sternhagen on Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:40 am
sternhagen
Forum Contributor
To Royce:
   A well put group of arguments that I will consider carefully. Eizo was of no help back when I was using only two drives with Snow Leopard, but those display conflicts may have indeed been due to the Spyder3 and the pink and green screen outcome was only overcome by virtue of being able to start up with the second drive. I also considered the possibility that two calibration apps with ADC on separate drives, with different systems, can't share one video card and display without conflicts. A Mac Pro with this sort of multi-drive, multi-system configuration can do many things as I have found, but sharing a calibrated display and video card using different methodologies appears to be a bridge too far as I am discovering.
   As you point out the best solution may be to use the Snow Leopard drives for financial tasks and use the El Capitan drive for my photo editing and preservation work. I have stayed with Snow Leopard for a long time for its perceived stability and emulation capabilities. For the El Capitan scenario , the X-Rite i1 Display Pro seems to have the edge over Data Color based on what I have read and observed on You Tube videos.
  Again thank you for your help.
   Regards
   sternhagen

11 posts |