« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 7 posts | 
by PV Hiker on Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:17 pm
PV Hiker
Forum Contributor
I'm looking to buy a new Dell XPS 15 inch laptop and I just don't know about adding the extra Support & Service or Accidental Damage service plans.  Are they a good deal with a laptop that is going to see a lot of travel?  If so, what do you suggest for the number of years to purchase.  I guess it is like buying insurance for anything, you take a gamble one way or the other.  Opinions???

Below is the one I'm looking at,  Thanks

The new 2017 Dell XPS 15 inch laptop
[font=Calibri] [/font]

[font=Calibri] [/font]
Patrick

by delong1301 on Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:54 pm
delong1301
Forum Contributor
In all my years of buying goods I have never ever purchased an extended, or extra protection package. Sooner or later it may bite me but I figure the money I've saved over the years not buying them will more than cover anything I may have an issue with. I do however make sure my regular insurance covers my camera equipment including laptop when I travel.

Just my 2 cents worth
D

by PV Hiker on Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:19 pm
PV Hiker
Forum Contributor
Me too! I skip the extra cost. But it is a gamble with a laptop that is expensive and could get damaged at any moment.
Camera gear is insured with a personal article policy and will check if laptops could be added.

Thanks for your comments.
Patrick

by PV Hiker on Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:18 pm
PV Hiker
Forum Contributor
Doing some more research I have discovered that my credit card will double the 1 year warranty that Dell provides for free.

My Personal Articles insurance policy I can add the laptop and cover it for purchase cost and it will come with a deductible I can pick the value. Yearly cost is about $70 and I can drop it after a few years. And that covers it being broken, lost or stolen for the cost of the value minus the deductible.

So I'm thinking of just getting the service 1 year repair that Dell provides for free and for the damage service adding it to my personal articles for a couple of years.
Patrick

by Andrew Mc on Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:07 am
Andrew Mc
Regional Moderator
Member #:00043
Looking at one of these myself, but in Australia. I usually get the 3 year ProSupport option (looks like the premium one there) which gives me next business day onsite support/replacement of parts. The only issue with third party insurance is that you might be without the laptop for some time. It's worth the ~USD100 a year for me to get this type of service. I don't bother with the accidental damage cover. To be honest, in the last 10 years or so (over 3-4 laptops), I've used it only a couple of times, but I know it's there if I need it.

Will be interested in what you think of the laptop when you get it :).
Andrew McFadyen | NSN0043
http://www.mcfadyen.org

by photoman4343 on Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:49 pm
photoman4343
Forum Contributor
If a third party company is acceptable to you, check out Square Deal for their version of the dell packages and the costs.
Joe Smith

by PV Hiker on Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:38 pm
PV Hiker
Forum Contributor
I did purchase it through Dell on Wednesday. Thanks for all the comments. Will see how it all works out in a week or two.
Patrick

7 posts |