Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 5 posts | 
by Craig Lipski on Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:55 pm
Craig Lipski
Forum Contributor
Location: The bustling metropolis of Fowlerville, Michigan, and the Texas Lower Rio Grande Valley
Member #:00495
Hi all,
Computer illiterati here.
Windows 8, PS CS6.
I've (repeatedly) tried to download the Nik Collection of PS plug-ins.  Each time, I end up with "cancelled" in the little progress box in the lower left hand corner.  I'm in an RV park, and the only wifi is in the clubhouse, so I've not been monitoring the progress for the 2-3 hr process - I've just been leaving the (Lenovo) laptop.  I can tell you, though, that one time it made it to "10 minutes remaining," at which point I had 5 min of battery left - I hot-footed it back to the rig for the a.c. cord, but by the time I made it back the laptop was dead.  I plugged it in and fired it up, and got that same "download cancelled" message.  Each time I've checked the "filters" tab in PS - no joy.  
Any ideas / tips / hints / suggestion?  The "Download Problems" link on the web page is of no help.
Thanks in advance.

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:14 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
It sounds like it is timeouting. If it is taking 2-3 hours I would suggest you go to someplace with a faster WiFi network. I would think even a Starbucks or McDonalds would be significantly faster. On a decent cable modem powered internet connection the whole download only takes a minute or two.

Also make sure there is enough free disk space on the computer to accept the whole download and install.

To increase battery life during the download, turn the screen off or at least turn the backlight to it's minimum or of course just make sure it's plugged in the whole time. Note that in default WiFi settings virtually all laptops reduce the power to the WiFi receiver thereby slowing it down significantly. When plugged into the wall it runs at full speed. You can over-ride this in the advanced power settings but it's a bit obscure to find and probably not worth going through here since a faster WiFi network and the computer hooked to AC power should get the job done in minutes not hours.

by Craig Lipski on Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:26 pm
Craig Lipski
Forum Contributor
Location: The bustling metropolis of Fowlerville, Michigan, and the Texas Lower Rio Grande Valley
I guessed that it was "time outing."  I'll give another wifi a shot. Thank you!

Last edited by Craig Lipski on Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Don Grall on Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:28 pm
Don Grall
Forum Contributor
One other possible issue:   Make sure Adobe Bridge is not set to auto-load with CS6.  First, set your preferences, so after CS6 is up and running, the Bridge icon needs to be clicked on in order to make Bridge active and usable.  Then download Nik without opening Bridge. Once Nik has successfully downloaded, you can reset your preferences so Bridge loads at the same time as CS6.  I don't know why this has to be done in this way, I just know that's what I had to do with my system.  I run WIN 7Pro 64bit.  Hope that helps!

by Craig Lipski on Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:23 pm
Craig Lipski
Forum Contributor
Well, I finally got to a good connection, and it took all of 4 min's. So glad I didn't have to jump through the hoops you suggested, Don. I could probably do it, your explanation seemed clear, but I have a way of screwing things up. . . .

5 posts |