Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 5 posts | 
by D. Robert Franz on Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:03 am
D. Robert Franz
Forum Contributor
I wasn't sure what forum this question best fits best so feel free to move if this is the wrong place.  I'm looking to produce a couple of e-books and market them.  I've been reading lots of information and it's much more confusing  than I realized.  I'm pretty sure that producing the book in the PDF is the right choice.. Is the Lightroom CC book module a good choices as far as software goes? Any other suggestions?  What's the best way to prep the images for eBooks especially sizing.  Seems to be a lot of differing views on this.  So I'm open to any suggestions and very much appreciate any help.
Upcoming Photo Tours: "Bald Eagles of Alaska"  "Winter in Yellowstone"

Instagram #d.robertfranz

by signgrap on Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:21 pm
signgrap
Lifetime Member
Member #:00424
I think a bit more info about what you'll be doing may help.
e.g. The eBook will be:
Mostly photos few words?
Or mainly words few photos?
Or an even mix words & photos?
Will these be "How To" PDF's?
Or narrative/travel logs?
Do you envision artistic layouts?
or simple straight forward layouts?
i.e. layouts that require a more sophisticated layout program or will a basic very simple layout program suffice?  
My wife is a graphic designer who uses Adobe InDesign to do her design work. This program is complex but gives you great versatility. If you can envision it, there's a way you can do it in InDesign all you need to know is how the software works (the PS of the graphic design world).
Dick Ludwig

by baldsparrow on Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:35 pm
baldsparrow
Forum Contributor
signgrap wrote:My wife is a graphic designer who uses Adobe InDesign to do her design work. This program is complex but gives you great versatility. If you can envision it, there's a way you can do it in InDesign all you need to know is how the software works (the PS of the graphic design world).
The trouble with InDesign is that it is complex and most of all, expensive. There is an excellent open source layout programme that I have used with considerable success that you might like to try first. It's free too.

It's called Scribus - get it here:  https://www.scribus.net 

by Rhett on Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:28 am
Rhett
Lifetime Member
Member #:01389
One idea would be to use Google Drive. Google Drive offers a "Download as PDF" option.

by Jeff Colburn on Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:34 pm
Jeff Colburn
Forum Contributor
Hi,

I sell several ebooks at http://www.CreativeCauldron.com and they are all PDF's.

Ebooks can be fast and easy to create, depending on their size and complexity. My biggest book, The Writer's Resource Book, took me just over one year to put together, but it's 293 pages long.

The fast and easy part, along with no printing costs, is the upside of ebooks. The downside is that unless you pay to have them specially encoded to prevent theft, a person can buy a copy of your ebook, then post it on a free download site for the world to download. The ebook I mentioned above was put on many of these sites, and I know of about $1,000,000 in illegal downloads. So don't be surprised if this happens to you. It's business as usual on the Internet.
 s
To create my books, I assemble them in Word, then convert them to PDF. If you have Adobe Acrobat, not Adobe Reader, you can put security in place to keep people from printing it, but they can still share it.

You can sell your ebooks directly from your website, or use a fulfillment service like E-Junkie to take care of that. If you make at least $5 profit a month, E-Junkie is a great way to go. You can also sell your ebooks on Amazon. Be sure to read all of their fine print and info before selling with them.

Also, realize that you do all of the marketing, and that takes a lot of time and effort.

Check out my article How To Sell Products From Your Website for some tips on doing this http://www.jeffcolburn.com/articles/how ... r-website/

I haven't checked lately, but as of a few years ago, an ebook was considered successful if it sold 100-200 copies during its lifetime.

Check out this article too for some good ebook info http://authorearnings.com/big-five-may- ... k-pricing/

Those are the high points. If you have any specific questions, let me know.

Have Fun,
Jeff
Fine Art Prints and Stock Photography of Arizona www.JeffColburn.com See my ebooks in the NatureScapes Store.

5 posts |