Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 11 posts | 
by WJaekel on Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:57 pm
WJaekel
Forum Contributor
I have been using Synctoy for many years to back up all my folders spread over several PCs in my LAN. In the Contribute mode it works great but I now realized that the Echo mode doesn't work for me - no matter on which folder pair this setting is applied: It does overwrite older files on the right but nothing is deleted there. I just can delete the whole folder pair and start a new back up in the contribute mode to circumnavigate this issue whenever I've deleted any files in the orginal folder on the left. That's certainly not what you want.
I've seen the past threads of August and April 2016. Evidentally synctoy works fine for some users (i.e. E.J.) So I wonder what's wrong here ? I don't think that all the log files are corrupt and I never made any changes in the back upped folders on the right. If you google synctoy and echo, it's evidentally a known problem. Anyway, does anybody has found a solution to solve or circumnavigate the issue  ?

I really don't want to switch to another program which would request to start from the scratch and back up countless folders and projects with some 100000+  files again that I have copied on multiple drives with synctoy over the years.

Thank you in advance

Wolfgang

by Charlie Woodrich on Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:36 pm
Charlie Woodrich
Forum Contributor
I wish I could help.  I have the same issue.  I tried everything.  I uninstalled it; then reinstalled it.  Read through various forums but came up with nothing.  Then I started looking around for something to buy, but that isn't easy either.  Many of the programs out there want to rewrite or compress the data.  If you find an answer to the echo issue or find a good replacement, let us know.

by signgrap on Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:52 pm
signgrap
Lifetime Member
Member #:00424
I not sure how you two are using Synctoy; with that said I've been using Syncback Free for a number of years without issue.
Check it out and see if it meets your needs; they also make a paid for PRO version if the free version doesn't have what you need.
https://www.2brightsparks.com/download- ... kfree.html
Dick Ludwig

by WJaekel on Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:16 pm
WJaekel
Forum Contributor
Thank you for your comments so far. In order to find out what's going wrong with the Echo mode it also would be particularily helpful if those who don't have that problem with synctoy could comment. Maybe E.J. can jump in. As said above, switching to another program would be the very last option for me because I would need to run all my back ups again that I've done over the last couple of years with all my drives and PCs. Nevertheless I will have a look at syncbackfree. There are couple of other programs available which apparently don't compress the datas either. I don't know if they are reliable though. But as said I would like to avoid a switch and stay with synctoy if a circumnavigation of the problem is possible, at least. I haven't checked yet if the issue is caused by the fact that I'm using synctoy in my LAN. But it's not very likely since the contribute mode works without problems.

Wolfgang

by john on Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:13 am
john
Lifetime Member
Member #:00404
I'm not sure if this will help you as I don't use synctoy, but I had a similar issue with Karens Replicator which I"ve been using for years.  Suddenly it stopped copying folders but would copy files that already had folders in the source.  I solved the issue by enabling NET FRAMEWORK 3.5 in Windows Features and in preliminary testing everything seems to be working fine again.  Maybe Synctoy also needs an older version of Netframework to run properly??

EDIT...Well this seems to work great on my laptop, but still the same problem on my desktop.  So it looks like I'm looking for a new sync program as well and from reserching synctoy there seems to be a lot of discepancy online as to whether it actually works properly with windows 10.

by Ed Cordes on Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:57 pm
Ed Cordes
Forum Contributor
Member #:00700
Interesting. I also have been using SyncToy for a long time and recently wondered if all was going correctly using Echo mode.  I got a new back up HD recently and took the opportunity to start from scratch - about 75,000 images.  I diligently backed up each folder with brand new folder pairs.  Right now all seems OK, but my paranoid antennae are up.  BTW - I am on Win 10.  If there were a good alternative I would consider a paid version.  However, after some research I haven't found one which really seems any better.
Remember, a little mild insanity keeps us healthy

by E.J. Peiker on Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:04 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Realize that this was a response to a thread from over a year ago...

by john on Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:08 pm
john
Lifetime Member
Ed Cordes wrote:Interesting. I also have been using SyncToy for a long time and recently wondered if all was going correctly using Echo mode.  I got a new back up HD recently and took the opportunity to start from scratch - about 75,000 images.  I diligently backed up each folder with brand new folder pairs.  Right now all seems OK, but my paranoid antennae are up.  BTW - I am on Win 10.  If there were a good alternative I would consider a paid version.  However, after some research I haven't found one which really seems any better.
Ed...I found that my program became inconsistent.  I ended up buying Goodsync which is worth the risk of 30$.  It found all kinds of files  and especially newly created folders that had been missed in backups the last few months since the major last Windows update.  Goodsync seems pretty straight forward and seems to work well and is quick.

Last edited by john on Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by john on Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:08 pm
john
Lifetime Member
E.J. Peiker wrote:Realize that this was a response to a thread from over a year ago...
I'm always about a year behind    :)

by Ed Cordes on Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:24 pm
Ed Cordes
Forum Contributor
john wrote:
Ed Cordes wrote:Interesting. I also have been using SyncToy for a long time and recently wondered if all was going correctly using Echo mode.  I got a new back up HD recently and took the opportunity to start from scratch - about 75,000 images.  I diligently backed up each folder with brand new folder pairs.  Right now all seems OK, but my paranoid antennae are up.  BTW - I am on Win 10.  If there were a good alternative I would consider a paid version.  However, after some research I haven't found one which really seems any better.
Ed...I found that my program became inconsistent.  I ended up buying Goodsync which is worth the risk of 30$.  It found all kinds of files  and especially newly created folders that had been missed in backups the last few months since the major last Windows update.  Goodsync seems pretty straight forward and seems to work well and is quick.
Thanks John.  I'll give it a whirl.

by Ed Cordes on Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:26 pm
Ed Cordes
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:Realize that this was a response to a thread from over a year ago...
OOPS! I noted John's 2018 response and responded to it.  Has the situation with SyncToy improved over the last year? 

11 posts |