« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 6 posts | 
by kent downing on Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:38 pm
kent downing
Forum Contributor
[font=Calibri]Just finished an extended bird photo trip. During the trip I downloaded my Canon CR2 RAW images to my MacBook Pro with Adobe CC Light Room (latest update 2015.9). The Raw files were transferred to two Western Digital Portable Hard Drives. (Mac Formated). [/font]
[font=Calibri]Now that I have returned home I want to transfer or import those images from the Portable HD to my Dell XPS 8500 PC that has CC LR with the same latest update. Unfortunately, when the portable drive is plugged in to a USB port on the PC LR will not recognize the new files. Possibly this is a format issue ? Note, on the PC that if I go to Control Panel, Computer, Drive X, that the computer will recognize the file. But If I enter LR it does not recognize the file. I am uncertain as what to do next. This dilemma is interesting because I have used this procedure in the past and it has worked fine.  Possibly from the new LR update and the Canon 5DM4 files ?[/font]
[font=Calibri]Any and all suggestions/ help are greatly appreciated. [/font]
Thanks Kent

by E.J. Peiker on Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:05 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Hi Kent,

Your message is almost unreadable.  You can not use special fonts or copy and paste text into NSN in a special font.  Please just use the forum default font.

It may be that your external mac drive is formatted with Mac OS Journaled format where it would need to be formatted with a windows compatible format.  You can format and use drives on a Mac using the Windows format but not the other way around.  You will need to install a utility on your windows computer to read mac formatted drives.  If you Google that you will find a number of options that allow you to do that.  However, since your PC does recognize the files, just not Lightroom there may be something else going on.  In this situation, since you can see the files in the Windows OS, your fastest route is probably to just to copy the files from the drive to your computer by highlighting them on the external drive and then dropping them into the appropriate picture folder on your desktop computer and then pointing Lightroom using it's Locate feature to those files that are now already on your computer.

by kent downing on Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:48 pm
kent downing
Forum Contributor
Thanks EJ-
I wrote the message in Word and then pasted it, so I will revise the procedure for future posts. I will research the various options you have suggested and hoping for success. I really appreciate the help.
Cheers Kent

by Anthony Medici on Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:03 pm
Anthony Medici
Lifetime Member
Member #:00012
Transfer the images to an external windows formatted drive using the Macbook Pro. Then you can read them using Windows fro that drive.

Also, I would not "transfer" then using Lightroom. I would use the OS on each machine to get them where you want them and then add them using Lightroom without moving them.
Tony

by kent downing on Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:22 pm
kent downing
Forum Contributor
Thanks Tony, I'll give it a try and let you know. Thanks a bunch for the advice !
Regards-
Kent

by signgrap on Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:48 am
signgrap
Lifetime Member
Member #:00424
If you haven't already enabled sidecar files (XMP) in LR do the following:
Choose Edit > Catalog Settings (Windows) or Lightroom > Catalog Settings (Mac OS).
Click the Metadata tab, and then do either of the following: To write adjustments and settings metadata to XMP, select Automatically Write Changes Into XMP.
Once you have enabled XMP files in LR, Select all your images and click Photo > Save Metadata to File. This will write the metadata to all selected images. Thereafter the metadata will be written automatically as you work on the image. Do this on your Mac laptop prior to moving/exporting the image files. The XMP files are stored as a separate file located next to the image file. Make sure to move/export both the XMP file and image file whenever you move the image file to a new location

XMP files will apply all the adjustments you've made to your images on your Mac version of LR to the images when they're imported into the PC version of LR. Saves a lot of work if you've made many adjustments to your images on your Mac laptop. I have XMP files enabled on all my installations of LR both Desktop and Laptop computers. If your catalog ever gets corrupted all you have to do is just re-import all your images and ALL your adjustments and keywording will be re-imported along with your images. A nice safety net to have.
Dick Ludwig

6 posts |