Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 15 posts | 
by jnadler on Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:53 am
jnadler
Forum Contributor
I was planning on obtaining a new desktop - custom built without bloatware but an employer gift, Amazon gift cards, have me buying a dell or HP. (only from Amazon, not third party)

I have read that Microsoft Windows 10 does allow a re-install without the garbage software, popups, apps, trials, etc.

Has anyone been successful in purchasing a computer and cleaning it via a re-install of 10? Do you need a physical CD of Windows 10?

by DChan on Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:52 am
DChan
Forum Contributor
How do you know that re-installing will give you a slimmer, cleaner Windows 10??

There's a lot of info on how to remove or disable apps from Windows 10 on the net. You may even find some instructional videos on youtub. If there's any app I don't want I google and remove or disable them. I'm not sure what bloatware you're referring to but I don't find many if any of them interfering my use of other software. Nor have they seemed to be using up a lot if any of the resources of my system.

Or you can consider switching to Apple ??

by Mike in O on Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:45 pm
Mike in O
Forum Contributor
April 11th will bring more apps to win10 including 3d paint and other creative (and for me useless) endeavors.

by DChan on Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:23 pm
DChan
Forum Contributor
You never know. Maybe one day it would even have raw convertor and photo processing app kind of rival that of Photoshop included. I know one thing for sure: I can view D500 files simply using its file explorer, something my outdated Camera Raw is no longer able to :-(

by signgrap on Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:54 pm
signgrap
Lifetime Member
Member #:00424
Jeff, it is fairly easy to eliminate bloatware compared to re-installing Win10. Certainly it is a lot quicker to delete than re-install. You just go into Control Panel > Programs and Features and uninstall the bloatware. You want to make certain that when you first boot your new computer that you don't activate an Anti-Virus program if you don't intend to use it. Once the computer finishes booting and you've activated Windows and you have downloaded ALL the latest Windows patches. Download CCleaner as this is very useful in getting rid of any remaining vestiges of the bloatware that remains in the Registry. Now delete all the bloatware and then clean up everything with CCleaner, make sure to run both Cleaner and Registry. You want to make sure you leave all programs installed by the computer manufacturer (Dell or HP) as these may be necessary to get tech support and/or the latest updates for your computer hardware. Once the bloat software has been removed check to make certain that the folders that originally contained the software have also been removed as frequently some sub-folders/files for the software are left behind. I've bought a number of Dell laptops, for my wife and I, over the last 10 years and found deleting bloatware fairly easy to do, taking about a half hour or less.
Dick Ludwig

by jnadler on Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:28 pm
jnadler
Forum Contributor
Downloading CCleaner itself concerns me. Malware concerns?

by signgrap on Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:42 pm
signgrap
Lifetime Member
Member #:00424
jnadler wrote:Downloading CCleaner itself concerns me.  Malware concerns?
This is a program E.J. has highly recommended for years. I've been using it since the early days of Win7 and have never had a problem from malware and I regularly scan for malware. I use CCleaner at least once a month to clean the Registry right after Windows does its latest updates/patches. After a big update Windows leaves a bunch of files/no longer used links behind that it uses to install the update. Over time these left behind files clog the Registry which in turn slows down the computer. Regular Registry cleaning keeps the computer running like it was just installed.
Dick Ludwig

Last edited by signgrap on Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by E.J. Peiker on Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:52 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
You have nothing to worry about with ccleaner.  
https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

by photoman4343 on Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:41 pm
photoman4343
Forum Contributor
When I had a SSD drive installed in my Sony Vaio laptop in 2016, as a replacement for the traditional HD, I had win 10 Pro installed without any bloatware. I had to purchase it and the repair vendor installed it for me. I then downloaded CCleaner, the free version. I have used it for many years on my laptop and desktops without any problems whatsoever.
Joe Smith

by DChan on Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:20 pm
DChan
Forum Contributor
photoman4343 wrote:When I had a  SSD drive installed in my Sony Vaio laptop in 2016, as a replacement for the traditional HD, I had win 10 Pro installed without any bloatware.
As far as you know, what bloatware does Windows 10 comes with that you don't have now??

by E.J. Peiker on Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:33 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
It's not Win 10 that installs bloatware, it's Dell and HP! Just uninstall all the crap you don't want when you get the computer.

by jnadler on Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:36 pm
jnadler
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:It's not Win 10 that installs bloatware, it's Dell and HP!  Just uninstall all the crap you don't want when you get the computer.

Since the Uninstall process doesn't truly remove everything, then use CCleaner to get rid of the registry crap?

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:11 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
jnadler wrote:
E.J. Peiker wrote:It's not Win 10 that installs bloatware, it's Dell and HP!  Just uninstall all the crap you don't want when you get the computer.

Since the Uninstall process doesn't truly remove everything, then use CCleaner to get rid of the registry crap?
The answer is yes but I also don't use the Windows uninstaller, I use the Revo Uninstaller which does a much deeper scrub when getting rid of software.  In most cases it takes out everything.

by ronzie on Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:35 pm
ronzie
Forum Contributor
Can CCleaner run on a boot rescue disk?

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:47 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
ronzie wrote:Can CCleaner run on a boot rescue disk?
If it's a clone yes, if it's proprietary like most rescue disks are then no because the files are compressed and or encrypted.

15 posts |