Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 49 posts | 
by DChan on Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:51 pm
DChan
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:Folks the whole point of his question was that the current version of the Nikon viewing software does not work with the current version of Mac OS and even Nikon confirms this.  He was asking for an alternative so recommending PC solutions, saying that it works fine on a Windows PC,  or saying that you don't understand why he would want third party software isn't really helpful...

He also subscribes to Adobe CC. Hence our suggestion of Bridge, which should be sitting on his computer waiting to be taken advantage of.

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:21 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
While Bridge is an option, the lack of a presharpening option to give you an idea of what the sharpness of a photo is makes it problematic for me for that use.  You really need to go out of Bridge and into ACR before your an be assured of exactly how sharp a photo is but yes that's an option.  I was responding primarily to those that were offering PC solutions or saying that the Nikon software works fine or to reinstall it but they were speaking from a Windows PC perspective.

by Gary Gulash on Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:27 am
Gary Gulash
Forum Contributor
Thanks to everyone for your help. E.J. is correct, as stated  my issues began when I discovered that Nikon View NXi would not work with my up to date Mac operating system. I was using the old NX2 for my D4 files but the D500 is too new and isn't supported in that old software. I may try to live with Lightroom as a viewer, but I will look at Photo Mechanic to see if this might fit in with my workflow (and if I want to drop a few more bucks!). With all the D500's flying off the shelves I would assume a lot of folks would have been confronted with this same situation? But then, maybe most photographers gave up on Nikon software a long time ago???

by Woodswalker on Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:51 am
Woodswalker
Forum Contributor
While I like the results of Nikon software, it's clunky to use when compared to LR or Photoshop which are very user friendly in my opinion. Batches processed with it often fail midway through. It strips the IPTC data when converted from NEF to JPEG. So I simply stopped using it for all but an individual image if I want the very best out of that image that I can't achieve with my go-to software. I've never used it as a browser.

But I always work out of Photo Mechanic by ingesting images with a batch caption, selecting one image or a batch of images and pointing them to my processing software (Photoshop or LR) then cataloging software (LR). For renaming, moving images and many other time-saving features etc., not to mention its powerful FTP and code replacement features that program has been the best bang for my software buck ever. I've been using it since 1998 and I still feel like I owe them money.

by GlatzNaturePhoto on Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:12 pm
GlatzNaturePhoto
Forum Contributor
Gary, you may want to check out Mylio (www.mylio.com) - just getting set up with it recently, but the application is gorgeous and it seems pretty powerful and flexible.  Good luck.

by flygirl on Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:21 am
flygirl
Lifetime Member
Member #:00824
Gary Gulash wrote:Thanks to everyone for your help. E.J. is correct, as stated  my issues began when I discovered that Nikon View NXi would not work with my up to date Mac operating system. I was using the old NX2 for my D4 files but the D500 is too new and isn't supported in that old software. I may try to live with Lightroom as a viewer, but I will look at Photo Mechanic to see if this might fit in with my workflow (and if I want to drop a few more bucks!). With all the D500's flying off the shelves I would assume a lot of folks would have been confronted with this same situation? But then, maybe most photographers gave up on Nikon software a long time ago???

I have not given up on Nikon Software at all.  Process with NX-D all the time my D500 files and much prefer it to LR, but I have a Windows 10 machine and love it.  Have you tried downloading the NX-D software, different than the NX-I.  I am pretty sure it works on a MAC, because I have had a number of MAC clients download it and use it at my workshops.

by Kerry on Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:16 pm
Kerry
Forum Contributor
flygirl wrote:
I have not given up on Nikon Software at all.  Process with NX-D all the time my D500 files and much prefer it to LR, but I have a Windows 10 machine and love it.  Have you tried downloading the NX-D software, different than the NX-I.  I am pretty sure it works on a MAC, because I have had a number of MAC clients download it and use it at my workshops.
I could certainly be wrong, but I think you're conflating Capture (NX-D), a RAW processing program, with View (NX-I), a browsing program.  The problem with current Mac OS compatibility appears to be with View, and Capture isn't a substitute for someone who wants a file browser.  My apologies if I've misconstrued what you're saying.

by flygirl on Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:22 pm
flygirl
Lifetime Member
Member #:00824
Kerry wrote:
flygirl wrote:
I could certainly be wrong, but I think you're conflating Capture (NX-D), a RAW processing program, with View (NX-I), a browsing program.  The problem with current Mac OS compatibility appears to be with View, and Capture isn't a substitute for someone who wants a file browser.  My apologies if I've misconstrued what you're saying.

Kerry, you can use NX-D as browser also.  I do it all the time on trips.  It shows ALL my camera settings and focus points as well.

by Kerry on Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:32 pm
Kerry
Forum Contributor
You're absolutely right; I stand corrected. Using one of the thumbnail display options the program can function as a browser.

by stevenmajor on Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:25 am
stevenmajor
Forum Contributor
Per Garry Gibson's suggestion...
I downloaded and am Very pleased with Fastrawviewer...the forever problem, View NX2 will soon be history on my MBP.
TY GARRY

by signgrap on Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:25 am
signgrap
Lifetime Member
Member #:00424
stevenmajor wrote:Per Garry Gibson's suggestion...
I downloaded and am Very pleased with Fastrawviewer...the forever problem, View NX2 will soon be history on my MBP.
TY GARRY
Steve/Ty, Keep us posted on how you like FastRawViewer. What the learning curve is like and particularly how fast it actually is?
It looks intriguing and maybe a much better solution then BreezeBrowser, that works on both a Mac and PC. The price is very reasonable.
Dick Ludwig

by bmstsm on Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:29 am
bmstsm
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:Folks the whole point of his question was that the current version of the Nikon viewing software does not work with the current version of Mac OS and even Nikon confirms this.  He was asking for an alternative so recommending PC solutions, saying that it works fine on a Windows PC,  or saying that you don't understand why he would want third party software isn't really helpful...
Hey EJ current nikon software (view NXi and capture NXD) works fine on my current imac with current version of Mac OS, so worth a try perhaps before spending money. 
As an aside, perhaps we all do this? I star my images in view NXi, put them into a selected folder open in capture NXD, just check the thumbs for exposure shift it if needs be, do a batch conversion to Tiffs which I then use bridge for viewing using full screen preview, if I still like I open (cmd O) in photoshop cc for finishing starting with the handy raw filter.
"If at first you don't succeed don't be a sky diver"

by Gary Gulash on Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:15 am
Gary Gulash
Forum Contributor
bmstsm wrote:
Hey EJ current nikon software (view NXi and capture NXD) works fine on my current imac with current version of Mac OS, so worth a try perhaps before spending money. 
As an aside, perhaps we all do this? I star my images in view NXi, put them into a selected folder open in capture NXD, just check the thumbs for exposure shift it if needs be, do a batch conversion to Tiffs which I then use bridge for viewing using full screen preview, if I still like I open (cmd O) in photoshop cc for finishing starting with the handy raw filter.

Hey bmstsm, this is what Nikon says regarding NXi and Sierra Mac OS:

[font=Verdana, Roboto, 'Droid Sans', sans-serif]This software is not compatible with macOS Sierra version 10.12.1 or later. Using Nikon Transfer 2 with macOS Sierra version 10.12.2 may corrupt the image data.
When transferring images, do not use Nikon Transfer 2.
[/font]

by bmstsm on Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:23 am
bmstsm
Forum Contributor
Gary Gulash wrote:
bmstsm wrote:
Ahh I don't use Nikon transfer, quite happy to use drag and drop. 

Hey bmstsm, this is what Nikon says regarding NXi and Sierra Mac OS:

[font=Verdana, Roboto, 'Droid Sans', sans-serif]This software is not compatible with macOS Sierra version 10.12.1 or later. Using Nikon Transfer 2 with macOS Sierra version 10.12.2 may corrupt the image data.
When transferring images, do not use Nikon Transfer 2.
[/font]
"If at first you don't succeed don't be a sky diver"

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:48 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
bmstsm wrote:
Not knowing the exact nature of the compatibility problem I would never ever allow my images anywhere near a piece of software that the company that publishes the software claims is incompatible.  What if that incompatibility is file corruption....

by Kerry on Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:22 pm
Kerry
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:Not knowing the exact nature of the compatibility problem I would never ever allow my images anywhere near a piece of software that the company that publishes the software claims is incompatible.  What if that incompatibility is file corruption....
It's impossible for me to second this line of thinking emphatically enough.  Here's a link to a near death experience I had a few years ago regarding (undocumented Nikon) software induced file corruption:
https://lightscapesphotography.wordpress.com/2013/10/13/that-sinking-feeling/

Trust me, you don't want to experience anything remotely like that.

by Anthony Medici on Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:54 pm
Anthony Medici
Lifetime Member
Member #:00012
E.J. Peiker wrote:Not knowing the exact nature of the compatibility problem I would never ever allow my images anywhere near a piece of software that the company that publishes the software claims is incompatible.  What if that incompatibility is file corruption....
And that is what backups are for. After all, a piece of software could fry your files even if they claim to be compatible!
Tony

by stevenmajor on Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:29 am
stevenmajor
Forum Contributor
Great Buy Fast Raw Viewer - Goodbye ViewNX2

(on MBP 2.6ghz i5 . 16gb . intel iris 1536mb. Yosemite 10.10.5)

I have been tolerating NX2 for months while looking for a replacement, and think I found one. The slowness and crashing of NX2 was very frustrating and degrades the creative process.
The special madness of NX2 is the way it enables anyone to open a file folder with non Nikon raw files (in my case CR2s) and not only not display them, but informs the user that  “There are no files…”. Empty folders get deleted. I assume millions of files have been lost world wide. I am relieved to put my version of that shared nightmare to bed (even tho my workflow excludes original files from ever residing on my computer).

Day 3
Fast Raw Viewer has been great. No real learning curve, instantaneous responses to my clicks. I am using it to critically view and edit images before working on them in PS Elements or whatever.
For $ 20 I find nothing not to like…the 30 day trial is free.
SM

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:55 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Anthony Medici wrote:
And that is what backups are for. After all, a piece of software could fry your files even if they claim to be compatible!
Sure but why even take that risk when you don't need to.  The time value it takes to restore everything could easily swamp the cost of something that actually works like Photo Mechanic or the others specified above.  Sure there is a time value associated with learning the new software too but so is there with the new Nikon software.

by Tim Zurowski on Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:57 pm
Tim Zurowski
Forum Contributor
I can only assume that all these View NX issues are primarily on Macs? I have been using View NX1 and then NX2 for over 10 years now and have never experienced any of these issues. In fact, I have never had any issues at all with the software on a Windows machine. The only issues I now have are that it is no longer being updated so my D7200 files are not fully supported, and Nikon's dumb idea to limit the number of characters that can be used in file naming. All that being said, I have downloaded Fast RAW Viewer and will be demoing it ASAP. Sounds like a great program for a great price. Thanks for the recommendation :)

49 posts |