Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 49 posts | 
by Gary Gulash on Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:15 pm
Gary Gulash
Forum Contributor
Up until now I have used Nikon View NX2 for browsing my photos. When I recently purchased the Nikon D500 I discovered that NX2 was not working on the files - lots of weirdness not reading metadata, can't zoom in, error messages, etc.. I decided that the problem was that this viewer was outdated, so I replaced it with View NXi but it won't work either. I reinstalled it, no success. I see that the software is incompatible with MacOS Sierra later versions...presumably this is my problem (I have macOS Sierra 10.12.2). I am an Adobe CC subscriber but find that Lightroom is too slow to work for me as a browser. Any suggestions for a good viewer for a Nikon user? What's up with Nikon Software not being able to display images from a Nikon camera that has been out for a year? 

Thanks,
Gary.

by Tim Zurowski on Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:06 pm
Tim Zurowski
Forum Contributor
Not that I really like using it, but have you tried using Bridge? Most people seem to like Breeze Browser Pro.

by ronzie on Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:37 pm
ronzie
Forum Contributor
http://breezesys.com/downloads.htm

Breeze Browser Pro:

File Name: bbpro1988.exe (60,375,424 bytes)
Released: 25 July 2016 Version 1.9.8.8
Platforms Supported: Windows 10, Windows 8, Windows 7, Windows Vista
Please note: You will need to purchase an upgrade to use the latest version if your original purchase was more than 18 months before the release date above. Please see the upgrade page for more information about upgrades and to download previous releases of BreezeBrowser Pro

****Trial version works for 15 days only*****

Nikon camera list (conversion capable):

Nikon D1, D1X, D2X, D2Xs, D1H, D2H, D2Hs, D3, D3s, D3X, D40, D40X, D50, D60, D70, D70s, D80, D90, D100, D200, D300, D300s, D700, D3000, D5000, e5700

Is the D500 RAW format similar to any of these?

I'm a Canon user and it saves me lots of time. I do not use the conversion part usually. I also use Downloader Pro to cull the images during the download process by thumbnail preview of images right off the camera.

by DChan on Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:43 pm
DChan
Forum Contributor
I think Gary uses a Mac, and Breeze Browser Pro is for Windows only, right?

As already suggested, Bridge could be an option.

by flip2350 on Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:03 pm
flip2350
Forum Contributor
Gary GulashUp until now I have used Nikon View NX2 for browsing my photos. When I recently purchased the Nikon D500 I discovered that NX2 was not working on the files - lots of weirdness not reading metadata, can't zoom in, error messages, etc.. I decided that the problem was that this viewer was outdated, so I replaced it with View NXi but it won't work either. I reinstalled it, no success. I see that the software is incompatible with MacOS Sierra later versions...presumably this is my problem (I have macOS Sierra 10.12.2). I am an Adobe CC subscriber but find that Lightroom is too slow to work for me as a browser. Any suggestions for a good viewer for a Nikon user? What's up with Nikon Software not being able to display images from a Nikon camera that has been out for a year? 

Thanks,
Gary.

How about Nikon software, free online.

by Gary Gulash on Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:10 pm
Gary Gulash
Forum Contributor
Thanks for your suggestions all. Flip2350, Nikon View is the free Nikon Software...I can't get it to function with the D500. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but that's partly why I posted my enquiry. I would prefer to use something Nikon to continue to view the output from Nikon cameras. I haven't used bridge but I will open Photoshop and try Bridge, that may be satisfactory - thanks for that Tim!

by E.J. Peiker on Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:05 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Gary Gulash wrote: What's up with Nikon Software not being able to display images from a Nikon camera that has been out for a year? 

Thanks,
Gary.
View NXD was obsoleted a few years back now.  View NXI and pretty much all Nikon software is not Sierra compatible.  Nikon is probably the worst software company on the planet.  You are best off not using any of their S/W.  On a Mac, the best option for doing what you want to do is PhotoMechanic.

by E.J. Peiker on Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:08 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
ronzie wrote:http://breezesys.com/downloads.htm

Breeze Browser Pro:
BreezeBrowser is PC only, his whole problem is that the Nikon S/W isn't compatible with the current version of the Mac OS.

by richard bledsoe on Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:27 am
richard bledsoe
Forum Contributor
Plus 1 for Photo Mechanic, love that software!

by Mark Picard on Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:47 am
Mark Picard
Forum Contributor
I'm old school, have the D500, and still like Bridge for my viewing pleasure. I also have LR CC but I still prefer Bridge. Been using it for many many years.
Mark Picard
Maine Photography Workshops

by Woodswalker on Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:49 am
Woodswalker
Forum Contributor
+1 for Photo Mechanic and it does so much more than browse.

by flygirl on Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:25 pm
flygirl
Lifetime Member
Member #:00824
I use the Nikon NXi just fine with my D500.  Maybe try uninstalling and reinstalling.  I like it because it shows all my camera settings plus focus points.

by DChan on Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:26 pm
DChan
Forum Contributor
I'm wondering, why does one need to pay for another software to browse photos?? Bridge is there if you use Adobe. If one uses Windows 10, one can even browse the images in Windows Explorer alone (and the Windows App "Photo" that comes with Windows if one wants a full-screen view). If I want something that does more than just letting me to browse the photos, well, Lightroom, DxO Optics Pro, Capture One, and I'm guessing pretty much other similar software provide that, too. What are the advantages of using/paying for a stand-alone browsing software??

by flygirl on Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:27 pm
flygirl
Lifetime Member
Member #:00824
DChan wrote:I'm wondering, why does one need to pay for another software to browse photos?? Bridge is there if you use Adobe. If one uses Windows 10, one can even browse the images in Windows Explorer alone (and the Windows App "Photo" that comes with Windows if one wants a full-screen view). If I want something that does more than just letting me to browse the photos, well, Lightroom, DxO Optics Pro, Capture One, and I'm guessing pretty much other similar software provide that, too. What are the advantages of using/paying for a stand-alone browsing software??

I like the Nikon software and it works fine on my Windows 10 machines, because it shows all my in camera settings and focus points. But it is free.

by signgrap on Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:48 pm
signgrap
Lifetime Member
Member #:00424
flygirl wrote:
DChan wrote:I'm wondering, why does one need to pay for another software to browse photos?? Bridge is there if you use Adobe. If one uses Windows 10, one can even browse the images in Windows Explorer alone (and the Windows App "Photo" that comes with Windows if one wants a full-screen view). If I want something that does more than just letting me to browse the photos, well, Lightroom, DxO Optics Pro, Capture One, and I'm guessing pretty much other similar software provide that, too. What are the advantages of using/paying for a stand-alone browsing software??

I like the Nikon software and it works fine on my Windows 10 machines, because it shows all my in camera settings and focus points. But it is free.
That's all fine but he has the latest Mac OS and the Nikon software won't work on the latest OS.
Dick Ludwig

by photoman4343 on Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:48 pm
photoman4343
Forum Contributor
Hi Gary, I use Nikon View NX-i to browse and cull my D 500 images, on both win 10 and win 7 pcs. I have never had any problem viewing any D500 RAW or other file formats with the program.

My installed version in ver  1.2.4 for 64 bit windows.  You can install it by going to NikonUSA software downloads. This is the latest version. 

https://www.nikonusa.com/en/nikon-produ ... wnx-i.html

I would uninstall the version you now have installed. Then reinstall it making sure you select either 32 bit or 64 bit if you are offered any options.  If a version is offered, you need to know which version of win you have. 

If your win version is 32 bit, that might be your problem. I am pretty sure View NX-i ver 1.2.4 is only offered in 64 bit. 

Like Nancy says there are certain features I  like about it. 

If you rely on side card files as part of your workflow, View NX-i places side car files it creates in a sub  file folder called NKSC_PARAM. Nikon's RAW processor, Nikon Capture NX-D, will read the adjustments to the metadata found in this sub folder. I do not know if non Nikon programs will read any adjustment data found in these files.  

I still use Downloaded Pro from Breeze Systems to ingest and rename my Nikon RAW files. I do not think Nikon View NX-i reads any of the  sidecar files created at the time of download. 

One word of caution. From time to time, if you delete a file, you may delete the whole file folder !! The program shows you what you are deleting so you have an option to delete it or not. 

Hope this helps. 

Joe
Joe Smith

by Anthony Medici on Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:09 pm
Anthony Medici
Lifetime Member
Member #:00012
I always recommend Photo Mechanic for browsing work on Mac OS. It is fast and its tags can be read by Lightroom or Photoshop through sidecar files.
Tony

by Garry Gibson on Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:46 pm
Garry Gibson
Forum Contributor
http://www.fastrawviewer.com/

It views your raw files and not the jpegs. Works really fast and only cost $19.99

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:28 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Folks the whole point of his question was that the current version of the Nikon viewing software does not work with the current version of Mac OS and even Nikon confirms this.  He was asking for an alternative so recommending PC solutions, saying that it works fine on a Windows PC,  or saying that you don't understand why he would want third party software isn't really helpful...

by signgrap on Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:41 pm
signgrap
Lifetime Member
Member #:00424
Garry Gibson wrote:http://www.fastrawviewer.com/

It views your raw files and not the jpegs. Works really fast and only cost $19.99
This looks interesting and at $19.95 seems like a good deal. 
If I needed a fast RAW browser that works on a Mac 10.6+, I'd look into it.
It has a 30 day free trial so the only thing at risk is a little time.
Dick Ludwig

49 posts |