« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 9 posts | 
by John Guastella on Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:04 pm
John Guastella
Forum Contributor
Can someone give me some feedback on whether my current graphics card will provide adequate performance when driving an NEC PA322 4K monitor?

My current graphics card is an EVGA nVidia Geforce GTX 660 SuperClocked with 2GB GDDR5 memory.

The specs of the card state that it can drive a 4K monitor, but does not state a maxiumum monitor size (although I'm not sure if monitor size matters WRT to the graphics card requirements).

I will not be gaming on this monitor -- it will be mainly for photo editing and document preparation (my day job), with perhaps some light video editing.

Additional computer specs: core i7 3770k (not overclocked); 16 GB RAM; Windows 7 Home Premium.

Thanks,

John

by Mike in O on Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:48 pm
Mike in O
Forum Contributor
I am in the same boat, but have decided to try it before I upgrade anything.

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:44 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Size doesn't matter, just resolution. But that card won't give you excellent performance driving that many pixels but it may be good enough for you. In general an nVidia GEForce 6 series is a pretty low spec by today's standards for a serious workstation with as much stuff that imaging programs can offload to the GPU these days. I'd at minimum go to a 9 series and ideally to a 1080. But you can try it first and see if you are happy with the performance. I wasn't with a 760 and went to a 1080 and am very happy. Capture One Pro runs so much smoother especially in complex masking operations...

My opinion is that if you are going to go to such an awesome high end monitor, you ought to at least have a highish end graphics card driving it :)

by DChan on Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:24 pm
DChan
Forum Contributor
For anyone who wants to know what graphic cards are the best for the money these days, this may be a good site to go to:

http://www.tomshardware.com/t/graphics/

Not just graphic cards, it also ranks other computer components.

For 4k, the best is, of course, Nvidia TitanX. I mean, it'd better be with a price tag of $1,200 :)

Personally, my next card likely would be GTX 1070 for my desktop.

by ahazeghi on Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:07 am
ahazeghi
Forum Contributor
I also have a NEC PA322UHD-K 4K 32" and I love it! I used two Nvidia GTX 1080 (SLI) with 8GB GDDR5 DRAM each when I had a PC, you can run it fine with just one GPU if you don't plan to run any 3D rendering applications. This display is 30 Bits so anything with less than 6GB of Video memory will struggle to run it, especially with multiple desktops in Windows. I would go for GTX 1080 for smooth performance. The top of the line GTX's need a 450+W power supple per card, make sure your PSU can handle it.

by John Guastella on Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:35 pm
John Guastella
Forum Contributor
Thanks to all for the information. I'll have to give this matter some more thought before making a decision

To add to the discussion, BenQ has just announced the price for their 4K 30.5" monitor (the SW320): US$1,000, including a monitor hood. I don't know much about BenQ products, particularly WRT reliability and longevity, but I may wait for  reviews of this monitor before making my purchase.

John

by E.J. Peiker on Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:18 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Here is a review of the 27" BenQ 4K monitor that may be of help:
https://luminous-landscape.com/benq-sw2 ... or-review/

by Royce Howland on Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:33 pm
Royce Howland
Forum Contributor
Member #:00460
After my experience with the BenQ SW2700PT, I would strongly recommend checking out the new SW320, if you can wait until it actually ships. I plan to get ahold of one and give it a thorough checking over. If it holds up as well as its smaller 27" sibling, the new 31.5" 4K version could be an absolute killer bang-for-buck display.
Royce Howland

by John Guastella on Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:24 pm
John Guastella
Forum Contributor
Royce Howland wrote:After my experience with the BenQ SW2700PT, I would strongly recommend checking out the new SW320, if you can wait until it actually ships. I plan to get ahold of one and give it a thorough checking over. If it holds up as well as its smaller 27" sibling, the new 31.5" 4K version could be an absolute killer bang-for-buck display.
Yes, after reading the LL review of the SW2700PT -- and another one at Tom's Hardware (BenQ SW2700PT 27-inch QHD Pro Monitor Review - Tom's Hardware), I've decided to wait for the SW320 to be released. BenQ seems to be doing enough things right that, at the price point of their products, the monitors look like a really good cost-efficient alternative to NEC.

John

9 posts |