All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 4 posts | 
by joseph motto on Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:59 pm
joseph motto
Lifetime Member
Member #:00091
When I process images I generally create a large Tiff file and a mid-sized (~400 kb) jpeg. Recently I have returned to my jpeg images from 2005 to present and have been upsizing them to be included in a website that I hope to complete before too long. But as I bring up these jpeg images most seem to be a bit darker than what I consider to be optimum; I find myself lightening many up in the process of upsizing. Could it be that these images are actually becoming darker with age (even those from 2012 and later) or is it in my own eye? Certainly not all look darker but it does seem that most do.
joseph motto
NSN 0091

by Royce Howland on Sun Aug 28, 2016 1:47 pm
Royce Howland
Forum Contributor
Member #:00460
No, your images are not changing. Digital image files are just numbers. The numbers don't change in some kind of qualitative way like getting darker or brighter, or more or less saturated, or whatever... not unless you edit the files to make those changes. If the digital numbers change on their own, it's by getting corrupted on your storage devices, in which case you would have no doubt as to the impact. The files wouldn't load, or would be very obviously corrupted in some way.

What is changing is any or all of the following:
  • Your monitor -- new monitor set up differently, or the same monitor getting older (monitors drift with age).
  • How you've calibrated the monitor -- different calibration package, and/or different settings.
  • The ambient light within which you're viewing the monitor -- brighter or dimmer surroundings have a big influence on how you perceive images on the display.
  • Your style and taste for what constitutes a "right-looking" image.
  • Your eyesight -- age is creeping up on us all.
  • Perhaps even your memory of how the images used to look.
Royce Howland

by E.J. Peiker on Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:40 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Royce covered the major points well, as he always does! I find that my taste changes with time. A certain way that I may have preferred images to be processed years ago doesn't appeal to me now so I redo them when I want to use an older image for something :)

by prairiewing on Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:20 am
prairiewing
Lifetime Member
Member #:00208
To elaborate on one of Royce's excellent points. I've spoken with a number of photographers through the years who tend to print lighter than they did earlier in their careers. Never thought too much about the "why," just figured it was personal taste.
Pat Gerlach

4 posts |