« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 7 posts | 
by James Vellozzi on Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:26 am
James Vellozzi
Forum Contributor
Hello
I recently purchased Topaz De-noise 6 v6.0.1.  The  image below show what happens after the slightest noise reduction was applied. Note the  image had no other post processing  except for crop / size reduction. The image had noise reduction applied at an extremely low parameter (strength of .06). If you look, or zoom, especially in the lower left corner of the image you should see strange banding patterns. I am hoping someone here can help to explain this. How this be resolved? 
thank you. James
James Vellozzi
www.jamesvellozzi.com

by Anthony Medici on Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:20 am
Anthony Medici
Lifetime Member
Member #:00012
I don't think noise reduction has anything to do with this. It looks more like you brought the image into photoshop as an 8 bit object and adjusted it causing the banding you are seeing. (Which is really all over the image, not just in the lower left corner.)

Was this a jpg to start with or was this a RAW file you were working with?
Tony

by James Vellozzi on Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:50 am
James Vellozzi
Forum Contributor
Anthony Medici wrote:I don't think noise reduction has anything to do with this. It looks more like you brought the image into photoshop as an 8 bit object and adjusted it causing the banding you are seeing. (Which is really all over the image, not just in the lower left corner.)

Was this a jpg to start with or was this a RAW file you were working with?

Anthony
I started in Photoshop with a TIFF image file. I shoot raw but convert them to TIFF files.
Thanks for further help
James Vellozzi
www.jamesvellozzi.com

by E.J. Peiker on Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:07 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Make sure when you do the RAW conversion to TIF, it is being converted in 16 bit mode not 8 bit mode. What are you using to do the RAW conversions and have you told it to do the conversions in 16 bit mode, default for many (like ACR) is 8 bit until you change it?

by James Vellozzi on Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:19 am
James Vellozzi
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:Make sure when you do the RAW conversion to TIF, it is being converted in 16 bit mode not 8 bit mode.  What are you using to do the RAW conversions and have you told it to do the conversions in 16 bit mode, default for many (like ACR) is 8 bit until you change it?
E.J.
I use ACR, and I just looked. Its been doing conversions in the 8 bit mode.. I just changed it to 16 bit.
Oddly I thought I had always set it to 16 bit, is there any reason it would default back to 8 bit? Do I have to change it to 16 every time I say, turn the computer on/off or close / open Adobe camera raw?

If you would not mind, in jist, what is the difference between 8 vs 16 bit that I can understand?

thanks so much

JAmes
James Vellozzi
www.jamesvellozzi.com

by E.J. Peiker on Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:21 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
No it's a sticky setting but a reinstall or an update by Adobe could have reverted it back to default.

by Anthony Medici on Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:53 am
Anthony Medici
Lifetime Member
Member #:00012
8 bits can represent 256 shades each of red, green and blue. 16 bits can represent 65536 shades each of red, green and blue.
Tony

7 posts |