Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 13 posts | 
by PV Hiker on Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:32 pm
PV Hiker
Forum Contributor
I received a email from Puget System that has me thinking for the future.  Windows 7 support won't last forever, while new vender products may not be written for it.  I know someday I will need to go to Windows 10 on two computers, but I like Windows 7.  I guess we can all speculate what is going to happen, but did they extend support to Win 98 and Win XP longer than they said?

So here is a link  https://www.pugetsystems.com/blog/2016/06/30/Windows-7-The-Big-Goodbye-818/

and verbiage from the email:
I’m reaching out to you because you ordered a computer from us running Windows 7. There is a lot to consider right now, so we’re emailing to help.
What’s Up with Windows 7? 

We are sad to say it, but the party is coming to an end for Windows 7. Microsoft has stopped issuing new licenses, and expects the supply to run out in the next few months. On top of this, many manufacturers of computer components, printers and peripheral devices are ceasing focus on Windows 7. All of the attention of the PC industry is on Windows 10.
Should I Upgrade to Windows 10? 
For the best experience, we do believe you should consider upgrading -- but only when your hardware and software are ready. As a rule of thumb, the older the hardware, the more problematic the upgrade becomes. Also, some of the programs you rely on might not yet be supported by Windows 10. We urge you to check with the makers of that software to inquire about Windows 10 compatibility. They may have issued updates that add Windows 10 support.

What Do You Recommend for New PCs?
Go with Windows 10. Some customers have critical programs that cannot yet run on Windows 10, and we do build computers for those folks. If that is you, let me know and I will put you in touch with a Technology Consultant. If all of your programs run on Windows 10, you should buy Windows 10 with your next PC purchase.
Questions?
If you have more questions about Windows 7, please see [url=wlmailhtml:{0931CEF1-C52B-4876-B29A-D719EE0B1ED8}mid://00000214/!x-usc:https://www.pugetsystems.com/sendy/l/89 ... DSLhGfJIEg]http://puget.systems/guides/818[/url] which addresses many questions on this topic. For questions not answered in the article, just reply to this email and I’ll get you an answer!
Thank you,
Patrick

by Mike in O on Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:57 pm
Mike in O
Forum Contributor
EJ is in trouble

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:06 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Mike in O wrote:EJ  is in trouble
Why?

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:10 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Personally I wouldn't "upgrade" a Win 7.1 system unless you have mission critical software that requires Win 10.  MS is continuing to do security updates and will for several more years.  Heck, they still issue critical security updates for Win 2000, Vista, etc....

If you are buying a brand new system then you probably should go with Win 10 and immediately on install or initial start-up turn off all the spy features which it now allows you to turn off as part of the installation procedure, something that it did not initially do.  The Windows She'll program you can download to get rid of the Win 10 tile interface has also gotten so good that it seems like you a re truly working with Win 7.  My only major remaining issue is that you are forced to do all updates and don't have a choice.  On a home system you actually sort of do as you can disable updates when connected to a specific IP but on a mobile system, the second you connect to another network, the auto updates start.

by Mike in O on Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:13 pm
Mike in O
Forum Contributor
Just like xp, you have a choice, accept your op sys knows everything about you or go to linux and not have much of your software available.

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:41 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Mike in O wrote:Just like xp, you have a choice, accept your op sys knows everything about you or go to linux and not have much of your software available.
Oh if only everything I needed to do I could do in Linux, I'd be there so fast that I would be like a Chucky Doll

by Mike in O on Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:26 pm
Mike in O
Forum Contributor
+1

by Andrew Mc on Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:30 pm
Andrew Mc
Regional Moderator
Member #:00043
MS won't drop critical patches for Win 7 any time soon, there are just way too many businesses still using it. It's in extended support until 2020 in any case. Like EJ, unless you either get a new PC, or you need to rebuild because of a dodgy hard disk, etc, I wouldn't upgrade from 7 to 10 (I'd never upgrade as such anyway, I'd always rebuild the OS from scratch).

Just an FYI for those on Win7, it will be moving to cumulative patching soon (like Windows 10) - you won't get the choice of what updates to install, you'll get them all. Of course you'll still be able to not install them as it is now, or at least delay them until the bugs have been ironed out.

I've recently moved to Win10 now and liking it so far (hated 8/8.1, it lasted less than a day).
Andrew McFadyen | NSN0043
http://www.mcfadyen.org

by PV Hiker on Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:10 am
PV Hiker
Forum Contributor
Great, thanks for all the comments. I'll just site tight with Win 7 and new cpu's go with win 10.
Patrick

by E.J. Peiker on Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:46 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
In a completely opposite message from Puget, I just got mail, paper mail, from Dell stating that as a business owner, now is the time to buy while they can still issue Windows 7 licenses.

by Jeff Colburn on Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:20 pm
Jeff Colburn
Forum Contributor
Microsoft will provide updates for Windows 7 until 2020 https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... fact-sheet I'm using Windows 7, but I'll need a new computer by then, so I'll wait.

Have Fun,
Jeff
Fine Art Prints and Stock Photography of Arizona www.JeffColburn.com See my ebooks in the NatureScapes Store.

by StephenFitzpatrick on Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:28 pm
StephenFitzpatrick
Forum Contributor
Intel/Microsoft/AMD have announced that, of the MS operating systems, only Windows 10 will be supported on future processors. (That means no Windows 7 on Kaby Lake, apparently.)

by E.J. Peiker on Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:37 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
StephenFitzpatrick wrote:Intel/Microsoft/AMD have announced that, of the MS operating systems, only Windows 10 will be supported on future processors. (That means no Windows 7 on Kaby Lake, apparently.)
That doesn't mean it won't work though, it's just that you are on your own with no support or guarantees.

13 posts |