« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 8 posts | 
by Vivek on Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:06 pm
Vivek
Lifetime Member
Member #:01186
Hi folks,

I am primarily a stills shooter (mostly nature), but sometimes I do shoot videos. These are good optically but the audio usually is not great because of the built in microphone.

For all of my stills processing, I use Lightroom + Photoshop, but I have no tools for video editing. I really wish LR added some rudimentary tools for video. Are there any "light" tools for video editing that folks use? I have minimal requirements
1. Turn down the audio volume / eliminate it or replace it.
2. Add fading options
3. Add annotations.
4. Cull the video frames

Thanks in advance!
-- Vivek Khanzode
http://www.birdpixel.com

by Mike in O on Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:51 pm
Mike in O
Forum Contributor
Get an external mic...Corel makes video editing software cheap, I use Sony software but I sure am not a master. My advise would be take a class at your local Community College so you know what is out there.

by baldsparrow on Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:34 pm
baldsparrow
Forum Contributor
Mike in O wrote:Get an external mic...

I am in a similar position to the OP ... any suggestions for a suitable microphone for Sony cameras? I want to keep it simple but cut out peripheral noise like chattering people behind me.

by Mike in O on Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:45 pm
Mike in O
Forum Contributor
I use a Sony one, works great...audio can get pretty expensive fast.

by Justin C on Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:58 pm
Justin C
Forum Contributor
The Rode VideoMic Pro is an excellent and very popular choice for recording audio when shooting with a DSLR. It's very affordable, lightweight and compact and the sound quality will be vastly better than using a camera's in-built mic. Be aware though that having a mic on the camera's hotshoe isn't ideal for optimal sound quality. Ideally the mic wants to be off camera and close to whatever you're recording, i.e. 12-18 inches away if possible, easier said than done though, especially when filming wildlife.

It might be worth seeing if there's a trial version of Adobe Premiere Elements for the editing side of things.
Justin

by scubastu on Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:04 pm
scubastu
Forum Contributor
Photoshop has a basic set of video editing tools. I've used it and it can natively import 4k video as well. The best part is that you can process the video in ACR and you can straighten horizons, adjust colour, even zoom in. You use layers to add text. You can add audio, trim the video, etc.

S.
Stewart L. Sy

SLS Photography, When Your Underwater Images Matter...
www.stewartsy.com

by E.J. Peiker on Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:08 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
For really basic things on the PC platform you can download the free Windows Movie Maker, on Mac you have iMovie which in the right hands can actually do a lot of stuff.

by Vivek on Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:01 pm
Vivek
Lifetime Member
Member #:01186
Thanks everyone - trying out iMovie on Mac and it seems to be good enough for me. That it is free is a bonus.
-- Vivek Khanzode
http://www.birdpixel.com

8 posts |