Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 32 posts | 
by bikinchris on Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:16 pm
bikinchris
Forum Contributor
I may buy a laptop in the next 8 months. Can you guys suggest a NON dell source with a decent laptop? I have used Toshiba in the past, but their now laptops don't have an Express Card port. I would like it to have an Express Card port for my card reader, a 15 inch screen and a decent hard drive, with an SSD.
Chris
http://www.eaglewheel.us

by E.J. Peiker on Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:17 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Does anybody make computers with Express slots anymore?  I thought those died 5 or 6 years ago.  Many laptops have an SD card reader built in.  If you need CF, a USB3 CF card reader like the Pixelflash No broken pins reader is cheap, faster than a card slot reader, small and reliable.

As for laptops, it's impossible to make a suggestion without a budget or performance level or screen technology.  You can get laptops from $299 to $4000.  Not many offer both an SSD and a HD although some can be user modified to work like this, it often means replacing an optical drive with an HD or SSD.

by Mike in O on Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:25 pm
Mike in O
Forum Contributor
Not that big of a deal, make sure the battery can be replaced without having to go internally (just replaced my Toshiba battery), the vendors kept sending wrong batteries which are more expensive than external ones.

by Blck-shouldered Kite on Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:04 am
Blck-shouldered Kite
Forum Contributor
Thank you so much Apple; this one's for you:  

I bought a Macbook Pro March 2011.  

JUNK:  In the same week I bought my MBP, I bought a PC  that is now dead and will stay dead.  I got fed up with resurrecting it.  Acer was the brand.  But my friend told me that it did not matter what brand PC I bought because they were all made in the same sweatshops in a certain country that America has a huge trade deficit with.  I do not know this be true or not.  

My Macbook is still running strong though.  I have since upgraded RAM (16 GB) and HD.  I am told by my one and only repairperson (non-Apple store but still Apple parts) that I can keep this going if I want, being able to replace anything except the motherboard, which I guess would then be too expensive.    The MB has been my only computer since the junk PC died.  

MALWARE!!!!:  The PC would occasionally be downed by malware.  When I think the Mac is getting malware or a virus, I soon find out that everything is ok and I guess I never had it.  

I get almost no viruses or malware with an Apple....if any at all.  Oh, they say it is happening now.  And I am not going to debate otherwise.  But I guess I have been lucky huh?  I have never had a persistent issue; i.e. when I thought I did....it did not amount to much at all.  Throughout my PC's life, malware was an occasional nightmare.  I remember one called Spy Axe.  This thing was hell to get rid of.  After a few years I learned I had to buy/install Norton each year.  And once I had to take the PC to my repair man.  No more!  That is a big thing to me.  Thank you Apple  :)

APPLE CARE.....is a phone support service provided by Apple.  With Apple Care, you bought it when you bought your Mac.  Not sure if you still have to.  Anyway, it lasted only 3 years from purchase date.  But for quite some time now, Apple has extended Apple Care to me and I see no end to this.  In fact, when I do have to call, I make it a point to thank them for continuing to provide Apple Care.   This is huge!  And when I call Apple Care, I ALWAYS talk to a polite person who's dialect is not difficult for me to understand.  

DIALECT:  It is my opinion that Bill Gates did me a disservice by farming out PC support to foreign countries where I sometimes had great difficulty communicating.  I have been chided and laughed at (although this is rare) by some of the people i have talked to when desperately, frustratingly..... trying to just get basic support for that PC.  More often than not, the PC support I finally got was a battle or it was expensive.....and that is just for help.   This is never going to happen to me again Bill Gates....never!!

MAC CONs:  There are a couple of things I do not like about Mac.  I am a nature documentarian.  I like writing about nature.  No, I love it!  Because Word stinks for Mac, I downloaded OpenOffice (open source) and it is perfectly fine for most of my purposes.  I would like to buy Dragon Dictate, but I understand that the Mac version still stinks.  So I am tempted to buy a Windows laptop for this.  But I doubt I will do it.  Refuse to again subject myself to what I just described.   Oh, also....I remember that I do favor the Windows OS over Mac OS.  But that is something I make myself adapt to.

The next machine I buy is not far away.  And it will be a 15 inch MBP.  They are expensive.  I can buy a refurb from Mac or I can buy a used machine from Other World Computing.  Thanks Tony Medici and maybe E.J. for pointing me to OWC.

But I will never buy another piece of throwaway computer junk.  And I will never knowingly subject myself to being battered by rude people who I have trouble understanding and who should be making every sustained effort to help me when I need help.

Thanks again for Apple Care.  

by Mike in O on Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:14 am
Mike in O
Forum Contributor
Never had any problems with my Toshiba PC running an intel i7, 16 gigs of ram for $699 (except battery died).

by Blck-shouldered Kite on Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:58 am
Blck-shouldered Kite
Forum Contributor
Everything requires maintenance.  You say you never had any problems.  I say, you have not owned it long.

Ok, if I should decide to buy a windows laptop one day, it would most likely be a Lenovo or Toshiba.  In fact, because I want Dragon Dictate, I may make that decision.  But I know that if I do, I will eventually be faced again with malware and dialect issues.  So for me, it comes back to service.  

You do make a good argument when you bring in price.  But so sorry, I question anyone who says they "never had any problems" with any computer they bought, because IMO, if they did not, then they have not owned the machine long enough to use the word "never".   

by Blck-shouldered Kite on Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:06 am
Blck-shouldered Kite
Forum Contributor
Blck-shouldered Kite wrote:Everything requires maintenance.  You say you never had any problems.  I say, you have not owned it long.

Ok, if I should decide to buy a windows laptop one day, it would most likely be a Lenovo or Toshiba.  In fact, because I want Dragon Dictate, I may make that decision.  But I know that if I do, I will eventually be faced again with malware and dialect issues.  So for me, it comes back to service.  

You do make a good argument when you bring in price.  But so sorry, I question anyone who says they "never had any problems" with any computer they bought, because IMO, if they did not, then they have not owned the machine long enough to use the word "never".   

But yes, I do believe that Toshiba is one of the very few good PC laptops and I have always liked Lenovo.  But not having owned either, I cannot speak first hand and you can.  I just wanted to speak up for Apple, since the original poster did not specify.   You do have me thinking about Toshiba though, simply because of my desire to dictate words and see them instantly posted on my computer.  I like that :)  I want that tool and I understand that they have not perfected it for Mac to the extent they have for Windows.   

by amullis on Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:11 am
amullis
Forum Contributor
Whatever you get, make sure it has enough memory! I just bought an HP Envy 17 with 16GB of memory. Much better than the 8GB laptop I replaced. However, I wish it had 32GB.

by Blck-shouldered Kite on Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:18 am
Blck-shouldered Kite
Forum Contributor
amullis wrote:Whatever you get, make sure it has enough memory! I just bought an HP Envy 17 with 16GB of memory. Much better than the 8GB laptop I replaced. However, I wish it had 32GB.
100% agree!  I also wish I had 32 GB.  16 is just ok..for now.      

by E.J. Peiker on Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:54 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
If you want a PC with the same build quality and material as a MacBook Pro (all metal chassis) but with modern components rather than 2 generation old components, then Razer is probably the best choice.  But expect to pay MacBook Pro like prices:
http://www.razerzone.com/

The RazerBladePro even includes both an SSD and an HD as the OP asked for.

My on the go imaging system is the Razer Blade.  I spent a lot of time evaluating systems when I got out of Mac laptops due to their increasingly buggy software and always being 3 or 4 years behind on the component front and it ultimately led me to Razer but like I said, expect to pay for it.  By comparison, Toshiba, Dell, HP, Lenovo, etc are all consumer grade "junk", even their premium lines.  Kind of like a Rebel compared to a 1Dx - they both work but the build quality and performance level is in a completely different league.

by Mike in O on Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:03 am
Mike in O
Forum Contributor
If you want a SSD, put it in yourself
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_XQRC_1j2Q

by Andrew Mc on Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:16 am
Andrew Mc
Regional Moderator
Member #:00043
E.J. Peiker wrote: My on the go imaging system is the Razer Blade.  I spent a lot of time evaluating systems when I got out of Mac laptops due to their increasingly buggy software and always being 3 or 4 years behind on the component front and it ultimately led me to Razer but like I said, expect to pay for it.  By comparison, Toshiba, Dell, HP, Lenovo, etc are all consumer grade "junk", even their premium lines.  Kind of like a Rebel compared to a 1Dx - they both work but the build quality and performance level is in a completely different league.
That the new one EJ? They still aren't released here in AU as yet (although I do have a mate that works for them, I might have to give him a call).

Personally I'm still using Dell - my Latitude takes everything I throw at it, both on a build level and performance wise. And support is all local and fast (onsite, next day). Might be different in the US though. To be fair, I've never had to use it with my current one (4 years on), and the ones at work, the main issue is with older HDD's - and anything with a HDD, Apple, consumer, business whatever, will have the same issues - mechanical stuff dies. The newer ones with SSD seem to just keep going. They did have a period a year or 2 ago with some build quality issues, but that seems to have been sorted out recently.
Andrew McFadyen | NSN0043
http://www.mcfadyen.org

by Mike in O on Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:30 pm
Mike in O
Forum Contributor
Robert, have you ever used windows voice recognition? I have used Dragon and was never impressed.

by Blck-shouldered Kite on Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:51 pm
Blck-shouldered Kite
Forum Contributor
Mike in O wrote:Robert, have you ever used windows voice recognition?  I have used Dragon and was never impressed.
No, I have not used it.  

But I know that everyone says it takes time for the program to interpret your voice and that happens by using it, making adjustments and using it again, over and over.  

I wonder if they offer a trial.  

by Blck-shouldered Kite on Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:55 pm
Blck-shouldered Kite
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:If you want a PC with the same build quality and material as a MacBook Pro (all metal chassis) but with modern components rather than 2 generation old components, then Razer is probably the best choice.  But expect to pay MacBook Pro like prices:
http://www.razerzone.com/

The RazerBladePro even includes both an SSD and an HD as the OP asked for.

My on the go imaging system is the Razer Blade.  I spent a lot of time evaluating systems when I got out of Mac laptops due to their increasingly buggy software and always being 3 or 4 years behind on the component front and it ultimately led me to Razer but like I said, expect to pay for it.  By comparison, Toshiba, Dell, HP, Lenovo, etc are all consumer grade "junk", even their premium lines.  Kind of like a Rebel compared to a 1Dx - they both work but the build quality and performance level is in a completely different league.
looked at the link.  Does not look like they offer a 15 inch laptop.  They have the 17 inch pro and then down to small ones.  What one do you have, the Pro?  My quick look showed that it is the only one with 16 GB of memory.

Looks like you can connect the Core to a laptop to gain more speed.

by Mike in O on Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:51 pm
Mike in O
Forum Contributor
Blck-shouldered Kite wrote:
Mike in O wrote:Robert, have you ever used windows voice recognition?  I have used Dragon and was never impressed.
No, I have not used it.  

But I know that everyone says it takes time for the program to interpret your voice and that happens by using it, making adjustments and using it again, over and over.  

I wonder if they offer a trial.  
It is free, look in control panel under accessibility.

by E.J. Peiker on Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:29 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Andrew Mc wrote:
E.J. Peiker wrote: My on the go imaging system is the Razer Blade.  I spent a lot of time evaluating systems when I got out of Mac laptops due to their increasingly buggy software and always being 3 or 4 years behind on the component front and it ultimately led me to Razer but like I said, expect to pay for it.  By comparison, Toshiba, Dell, HP, Lenovo, etc are all consumer grade "junk", even their premium lines.  Kind of like a Rebel compared to a 1Dx - they both work but the build quality and performance level is in a completely different league.
That the new one EJ? They still aren't released here in AU as yet (although I do have a mate that works for them, I might have to give him a call).

Personally I'm still using Dell - my Latitude takes everything I throw at it, both on a build level and performance wise. And support is all local and fast (onsite, next day). Might be different in the US though. To be fair, I've never had to use it with my current one (4 years on), and the ones at work, the main issue is with older HDD's - and anything with a HDD, Apple, consumer, business whatever, will have the same issues - mechanical stuff dies. The newer ones with SSD seem to just keep going. They did have a period a year or 2 ago with some build quality issues, but that seems to have been sorted out recently.
I have the 2015 which, hardware wise, is about 3 years ahead of the very best MacBook Pro you can configure.

by DChan on Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:22 pm
DChan
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:
Andrew Mc wrote:

I have the 2015 which, hardware wise, is about 3 years ahead of the very best MacBook Pro you can configure.

Is that a gaming laptop??

by E.J. Peiker on Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:53 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Yes and as such has awesome components including an excellent 4K screen, super fast graphics and a much faster processor than what is available from Apple. BTW, it is easy to modify PS CS6 or PS versions prior to the most recent CC versions to get normal sized menus and dialog fonts. It's a very simple registry edit.

by DChan on Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:01 pm
DChan
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:Yes and as such has awesome components including an excellent 4K screen, super fast graphics and a much faster processor than what is available from Apple.  BTW, it is easy to modify PS CS6 or PS versions prior to the most recent CC versions to get normal sized menus and dialog fonts.  It's a very simple registry edit.
I'm leaning towards getting a gaming laptop, too, (well, my desktop is a gaming PC anyhow :) ) as I believe if it can run games, it can run anything. I knew about Razer from its gaming mouses.

32 posts |