All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 8 posts | 
by Gary Briney on Fri May 27, 2016 3:01 pm
Gary Briney
Lifetime Member
Member #:00336
Microsoft has given clicking the red X to close a dialog offering upgrade to Win 10 the same effect as clicking OK, according to a Computer World article.  Unfortunately, this precedent will likely show up in other offers from other companies too.
G. Briney

by Kerry on Sat May 28, 2016 9:01 am
Kerry
Forum Contributor
MS's behavior during this whole "free upgrade" period has been reprehensible.

by Tim Zurowski on Sat May 28, 2016 10:26 am
Tim Zurowski
Forum Contributor
Just do what others have done and turn off the Auto Update feature; or alternatively, you will have to remove the annoying MS updates that triggers these. I don't see much need anymore to update Win 7x64, but you can occasionally scan through the updates and install a few if you feel they are necessary.

by E.J. Peiker on Sat May 28, 2016 6:14 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
And in Win 10 there is no way to turn off auto update so when the next version of Windows comes out we won't have a choice.

by Mike in O on Sat May 28, 2016 6:58 pm
Mike in O
Forum Contributor
Even the Pentagon is pimping for Microsoft...it really is mind control and only people who run XP are safe
https://www.yahoo.com/tech/limited-peri ... 53827.html

by E.J. Peiker on Sun May 29, 2016 1:06 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Mike in O wrote:Even the Pentagon is pimping for Microsoft...it really is mind control and only people who run XP are safe
https://www.yahoo.com/tech/limited-peri ... 53827.html
Of course because Win 10 gives them unlimited ability to spy on you.  Yes there are ways to turn off the spying but the only way to be sure that they aren't is to disconnect from the Internet.

by Kerry on Sun May 29, 2016 8:22 am
Kerry
Forum Contributor
I've found this to be an effective solution.

by Ed Okie on Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:38 am
Ed Okie
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:And in Win 10 there is no way to turn off auto update so when the next version of Windows comes out we won't have a choice.
Another "got-cha'" explained:
   "unable to turn off auto update in Win 10" and how it relates to 4K monitors (NEC's 32" Spectraview)... explains why custom settings for Text-size disappear when the next Win-10 auto-installs! Thought it was something else going wrong in my new (3-months old Puget) system.

A note of caution:  4K monitors touted primarily for 4X more pixel information . . . text-size adjustments - ARE - necessary. None work perfectly. All are a compromise. It's far worse (very limited choice) if Win7 Pro is your OS platform.
   Further complicated by the software in use - it varies program to program.
   Win 10 does provide better (and more) item-specific text-adjustments than Win7 Pro; I'm inclined to suggest Win-10 and a 4K monitor is the best combination.
   But the hype of "4K far-better" doesn't match reality; I speak from a point of three months hands-on use: 32" 4K Spectraview -vs- (older) 24" EIZO CG (1920x1200) monitor.
   Yes, images do look more eye-catching on the 4K monitor... but size-difference (32" vs 24") represents 90% of the visual gain, i.e, impression.
   In theory one can post-process a 4K image far better (because there's 4X more pixel information to work with). Frankly, I don't find a significant difference post-processing on the 24" Eizo vs the 32' 4K NEC
   Back to square one: Text size.  The marriage of Text-size and 4K monitors remains a rocky-road; most software today isn't fully suited nor developed for 4K viewing. Text size IS and remains a significant issue, you'll face it with every screen-program change. It may well outweigh 4K's alleged advantages.

8 posts |