« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 25 posts | 
by Greg Downing on Fri Nov 27, 2015 5:35 pm
Greg Downing
Publisher
Member #:00001
Every time a media card is attached the Photos app launches. According to this article you can only disable it on a per device basis. Each media card is considered a new device. http://www.redmondpie.com/disable-photo ... ts-to-mac/

Anyone have a work-around? It's slightly annoying to have to close that app every time I insert a card....

TIA
Greg Downing
Publisher, NatureScapes.Net
[url=http://www.gdphotography.com/]Visit my website for images, workshops and newsletters![/url]

by E.J. Peiker on Fri Nov 27, 2015 5:49 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Hmm, mine does not do that at all on any of my Macs so there has to be a way to turn it off, I'm investigating.

by E.J. Peiker on Fri Nov 27, 2015 6:04 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
OK, figured it out.  Photos is linked internally to the Image Capture App, so here's how to turn it off.  
Go to Utilities and launch the Terminal app and type this:
defaults write com.apple.ImageCapture disableHotPlug -bool YES

It may not work in El Capitan though because they have some weird new system integrity protection scheme that prevents you from altering the way the OS works but it does in Yosemite and earlier.

In general, I find that with every release of OS X and any Apple programs, it becomes more and more intrusive and forces you into Apple apps, iCloud, etc.  It is to the point where I may not buy another Apple computer.  Of course Win 10 is awful too.  Linux may be the only option in the not too distant future if you actually want to control what your computer does :(

by Greg Downing on Fri Nov 27, 2015 7:45 pm
Greg Downing
Publisher
Yeah I am using El Capitan (they must have been smoking something when they names the OS...)

On another note I'm testing the Samsung T1 1TB external (tiny) SSD and you have to/download install drivers to access it - not exactly comforting either..
Greg Downing
[url=http://www.gdphotography.com/]Visit my website for images, workshops and newsletters![/url]

by E.J. Peiker on Fri Nov 27, 2015 8:26 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Apple's software team has run amok.  Like I said, unless something changes, I'm not likely to buy another Apple computer.  Fortunately I'm all set on computers for at least a couple of years.  Why are you on El Capitan?  So many compatibility issues with photo related software products.  I'm thinking of taking an old machine and installing Linux to get comfortable with it and to see if it can ever become my primary OS.

by Mike Veltri on Sat Nov 28, 2015 6:02 am
Mike Veltri
Forum Contributor
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/73 ... 0&tstart=0

by E.J. Peiker on Sat Nov 28, 2015 7:07 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
While it is a solution it isn't a good one because you have to go through that procedure for every device that you attach which means going through every memory card that you have and turning it off.  As Greg wrote in the initial post, every card is considered a new device.

by jrhoffman75 on Sat Nov 28, 2015 7:13 am
jrhoffman75
Forum Contributor
"As Greg wrote in the initial post, every card is considered a new device." Not only that, but if you re-format a card you have been using it is also seen as a new device.

by E.J. Peiker on Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:21 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
jrhoffman75 wrote:"As Greg wrote in the initial post, every card is considered a new device." Not only that, but if you re-format a card you have been using it is also seen as a new device.
Ugh!  Another epic fail with Apple software.  It is really sad to see what this side of the company has become since Steve Jobs' death :(
The software side has just been allowed to run completely amok it seems.

by Greg Downing on Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:08 pm
Greg Downing
Publisher
Correct - every time you format your cards its a "new device" - that and I don't want/need the iwatch app on my phone are my two latest gripes with Apple :( Still better than windows...
Greg Downing

by E.J. Peiker on Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:07 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Try this:
Launch a command prompt and enter this...
defaults -currentHost write com.apple.ImageCapture disableHotPlug -bool YES

by Greg Downing on Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:12 pm
Greg Downing
Publisher
Thanks! For some reason I haven't had the photos app launch itself in as long as I can remember so maybe it recognizes my flashcards
Greg Downing

by Woodswalker on Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:37 am
Woodswalker
Forum Contributor
When I insert a card into the reader, I have Photo Mechanic launch automatically and while PM has a fix, it doesn't stop Photos from launching. So I insert a card into the reader and I'm ready to start working then Photos pops on the screen on top of Photo Mechanic. Very annoying. The "fix" seems to work only for awhile or not at all.

EJ, you suggested a fix earlier but does it work with El Capitan?

by E.J. Peiker on Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:23 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
It should work but I don't use that OS due to numerous compatibility issues.

by Woodswalker on Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:09 pm
Woodswalker
Forum Contributor
I tried the fix (EJ's) but it doesn't work for me on El Capitan. So I guess I'm stuck with Photos popping up on the screen every time a disk is inserted into my card reader or every time I charge my iPhone using the computer. If I was convinced that Windows didn't feature an equally irritating feature, I would not buy another Apple machine.

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:00 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Bummer. Apple software sucks so bad and is getting worse every year. It's everything from iTunes to Final Cut

by Woodswalker on Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:27 am
Woodswalker
Forum Contributor
Tried the fix again and it seems to be working this time. Not sure what I did wrong the first time on the copy and paste but for whatever reason it seems to be working now. Thanks, Mike

by Woodswalker on Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:32 pm
Woodswalker
Forum Contributor
I give up; the fix is not working again. I have two machines and used the fix on both. It seemed to work for awhile but I have many cards which are formatted from various cameras so it's erratic as to when the Photos App will appear but it still appears. Oh well, we tried!

by E.J. Peiker on Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:46 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Sounds like it's the same as it ever was, as soon as you format the card it thinks it's a new device and it launches again.

by Charlie Woodrich on Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:51 pm
Charlie Woodrich
Forum Contributor
Yep - same thing happens to me. Very annoying.

25 posts |