« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 11 posts | 
by DOglesby on Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:50 pm
DOglesby
Lifetime Member
Member #:01155
Every computer is different and local issues can create problems for one person that others will never experience but thought people would be interested in knowing that my laptop was turned into a brick after updating to El Capitan. Completely useless and cannot even restore from Time Machine. 

This isn't my production computer. I don't do any upgrades on that until I get good user reports and test it on my laptop (which is generally just for leisure) so it's nothing more than an inconvenience. Needless to say, I will not be updating my iMac any time soon. 
Cheers,
Doug

by EGrav on Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:23 pm
EGrav
Forum Contributor
No problem here - 2 iMacs and 1 MBPro. Updated 2 iMac's for a friend as well. Very stable  and no problems.
Hope you will figure it out.

body{zoom:121%!important;}

by whitehead on Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:27 pm
whitehead
Forum Contributor
Its the first version of OSX that I have ever had to reinstall a second time myself. I also had to manually delete sec certificates as I had problems with Safari and Lightroom plugins (photoshelter) after the update as well.

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:56 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Like any OS, if you install it in the first few months you are really not much more than a beta tester. Long gone are the days when Apple software releases were flawless. In the last few years, they are almost always problematic for some time.

by Joerg Rockenberger on Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:28 am
Joerg Rockenberger
Forum Contributor
My philosophy these days is to upgrade when the next version is about to be released, e.g. I upgraded only recently to Yosemite and I'll wait with upgrading to El Capitan until the next one is getting introduced. Good luck with your brick. Joerg

by DOglesby on Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:36 am
DOglesby
Lifetime Member
E.J. Peiker wrote:Like any OS, if you install it in the first few months you are really not much more than a beta tester.  Long gone are the days when Apple software releases were flawless.  In the last few years, they are almost always problematic for some time.
It's unfortunate. They used to be the only company in my opinion that made things no-brainers. At least they know how to deal with problems (since every company will have issues, it's how they address them which separate the truly great from the horrible).  I called them last night to make an appointment and they told me that all their Wednesday appointments were filled but since this is such an important issue they'll call the store and get me in whenever I want - sweet. So, I'm heading in today. 

Too many company's have no clue how to make technology user friendly. And it's the simple things little things that really make a difference. I have an Xbox for my family with three online accounts. I get an email saying one is up for renewal but the credit card has expired. They don't bother to tell me which of my three accounts. So I'm forced to logged into all three accounts to verify myself.  And, they don't provide a link to email someone for help within the email. This isn't rocket science. It's basic customer service that company's are just clueless about (or worse, they don't care).
Cheers,
Doug

by DOglesby on Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:37 am
DOglesby
Lifetime Member
Joerg Rockenberger wrote:My philosophy these days is to upgrade when the next version is about to be released, e.g. I upgraded only recently to Yosemite and I'll wait with upgrading to El Capitan until the next one is getting introduced. Good luck with your brick. Joerg

Thanks! You have a good philosophy.  And a safe one. I'm far too impatient for that!
Cheers,
Doug

by rajandesai on Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:20 pm
rajandesai
Forum Contributor
Member #:01263
No issues for me as well... It went very well.
Hopefully there wasn't any issue with the download (because of the huge size) and install file wan't corrupt.

by TGF on Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:46 pm
TGF
Forum Contributor
Status of repair and upgrade ?   I , too, have had a horrible time upgrade. Downloads stop , can't continue, no disk space available etc.

Mine is going in next week for the "genius " touch. However, I was able to restore from backups.

by Jens Peermann on Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:20 pm
Jens Peermann
Forum Contributor
I installed El Capitan about a week ago on my production computer. Everything seemed to go smooth. All of the annoying little quirks that plague Yosemite, and even some irregularities in Capture One, were gone.

This morning I started processing images from yesterdays shoot and nothing went smooth anymore. None of my custom shortcuts in Photoshop work, even though they are present, as their  symbols in the pull down menus show.

But the worst is, all custom color spaces for the monitors are gone and the only one that can be assigned is an sRGB profile. El Capitan won't even let me assign the monitor manufacturer's default color space. On top of that, Spyder 4Pro doesn't run properly, so I can't create new profiles to work with.

No need to analyze any further. As I type, Yellowstone is re-installing from a clone and - at least for the time being - this OS will be spelled "El Kaputt-an" in my part of the world. :mrgreen:
A great photograph is absorbed by the eyes and stored in the heart.

by DOglesby on Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:17 pm
DOglesby
Lifetime Member
TGF wrote:Status of repair and upgrade ?   I , too, have had a horrible time upgrade. Downloads stop , can't continue, no disk space available etc.

Mine is going in next week for the "genius " touch. However, I was able to restore from backups.

I got mine fixed. I'm back to using the previous OS. I'm not upgrading for a while!
Cheers,
Doug

11 posts |