All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 8 posts | 
by DMcLarty on Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:20 pm
DMcLarty
Lifetime Member
Member #:00155
I know a lot of you won’t but as I work with computers every day and do this type of work  I did it…updated my Lenovo Laptop from Window 8.1 Pro to Windows 10 Pro last night.
The unit is iCore 7 processor, 8 GB RAM, 64 bit, two SSD Drives. Touch screen twist model. two years old. This is my main travel /leisure unit so I use it for simple image edits and evenings as a tablet Internet cruising but have some heavy apps loaded on it
Initially registered for the update through MS in auto update. (NOTE you may have the Windows 10 update already triggered and downloaded in Auto Updates and if not careful you will start this update with out knowledge. Watch your updates window to assure you don't just click click or allow auto update to start the process. This is very annoying tactics from MS for sure.)

I further looked for a complete download not through the auto update path  so I could have a full install file/s 

Found the down load and is pretty easy to obtain (Google Windows 10 down load and follow the path to the MS site.)

MS has a tool to assist the down load and then create a bootable DVD or USB stick

The tool did what it was supposed to do downloaded the files and created the bootable USB. Very easy to work just read the hints in their tool.

Backed up all hard files that I had on the laptop one more time.  I run a hard file backup every week and  I have a complete system restore setup if all went astray.

As I wanted to keep all my drivers/apps and files I choose to follow the update path rather than the rebuild from scratch process. (I’ll do a scratch rebuild on my main desktop unit when/if I decide to do the update to Windows 10)

Inserted my USB stick as created from the MS tool above. Hit the setup exe and let the process begin.

Make sure you read the hints as they come up on the initial setup to make your choice to keep all files apps and settings verses rebuild from scratch.

Away it went…into the process.

After approx. 30 minutes the rebuild had completed and the initial setup Windows 10 comes up. next step was the user profile...Make sure you choose “Customize my settings” (a small lettered choice at the bottom of the screen)  at this point so you can turn off all the default “allows” in areas like location/ send info to Microsoft/allow sharing/allow apps to use your location and other info. This is one of the biggest areas that a regular user will not look at and this is what the world is all about these days "share everything" but is not for me. Besides we have internet limited to 10 GB per month over satellite and if we allow all this to be open our internet will used up in less than 10 days at a cost that is way more than most can imagine.
After the setup and initial username ect all complete the unit restarts and completes all.
Overall no issues and pretty simple update from Windows 8.1 Pro to windows 10 Pro.

After the update rebuild all applications in tack  Adobe Light Room, CS6, DXO Optics 10, Office 2010, Adobe Premier light.  All of my desktop shortcuts to my apps remained and opened with no issues. All files in tack and open as they should as previous. From cold start to desktop approx. 30 seconds.
The new User interface is like any other new system computer and/ or camera you need to go through and setup your preferences but overall the interfaces easy to understand.  (Just read carefully the item you are at)

First thing was go to the new Settings panel area and work through the user/privacy items and turn off more default allow stuff. 

The new returned start button is nice but I really do not use this as I use shortcut to my Apps from the desktop screen.
Right click on desktop and or menu bars are the same as previous Windows versions.
I don’t use the store option so that is turned off as are all of the live tiles feeds like weather and news items. 

After and over the day now have opened all my apps/files worked them over as previous at the same time and no speed issues. CPU drag is normal. They actually seem to open a tad faster. I often will start in DXO Optics and then transfer an image to light room or to CS 6 for final adjustments. All work as they did previously and should. 
So so far not any issues and all is good. Hope your experience will be as good if you decide to make the update. :)

Doug
The McLarty's :)
Lethbridge Alberta    
Rankin Inlet Nunavut Canada
In the Heart of the Canadian Arctic
Twitter @DadRankin

by E.J. Peiker on Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:40 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Wow, I do over 10GB per day!!! The majority of what I watch on TV is streamed in HD nowadays.

by DMcLarty on Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:54 pm
DMcLarty
Lifetime Member
E.J. Peiker wrote:Wow, I do over 10GB per day!!!  The majority of what I watch on TV is streamed in HD nowadays.

LOL I wish our...10 GB a month cost us $80.00 and that is slower than molasses most days...satellites hops and all.
Our son at school in the south has more data allowance on his phone than we do for all month service :) 
No Netflix or Streaming for us up here. LOL
Lethbridge Alberta    
Twitter @DadRankin

by lelouarn on Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:00 pm
lelouarn
Forum Contributor
I am really on the fence on this Windows 10 story. Microsoft offers a "free" upgrade to my Windows 7. But I am hesitating to do the upgrade.
- My PC works fine. And I tend to "not fix it if it's not broken".
- I am a bit suspicious of "free" upgrades. I guess you can disable most of the adware "features" but still...
- I would prefer to wait for Windows 10.0.1 or 10.1, so I don't act as a beta tester

On the other hand I feel a bit antiquated with windows 7 :-)

Are you taking the plunge ?

by John Guastella on Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:04 pm
John Guastella
Forum Contributor
On the other hand I feel a bit antiquated with windows 7
Why? Windows 7 is Microsoft's best OS in their history, by far. It's fuctioned flawlessly on my computer (and on all of the computers where I work), has a pleasing and completely modern look, and will continue to be supported (for security updates and bug fixes) by Microsoft for at least five more years. What's not to like?

Of course, I'm one of those people who avoided upgrading from XP until I absolutely had no choice but to do so! Having said that, I still don't ynderstand why anyone would consider taking the risk of upgrading an operating system unless absolutely necessary.

John

by ronzie on Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:57 am
ronzie
Forum Contributor
A little "be careful" news story about Win 10 allowing you to wi-fi share your PC without passwords for your various contact lists:

http://money.cnn.com/2015/07/30/technol ... index.html

and how to regulate it.

by DMcLarty on Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:46 am
DMcLarty
Lifetime Member
Yes for sure  This new WiFi sense is really not a required feature for us as users.
...First thing was go to the new Settings panel area and work through the user/privacy items and turn off more default "allow" stuff.

If you have no or little PC experience I would not do the update until you really need too.  Heck even if your are a Computer GURU you may want not too :D You need to research how to turn off everything you can about privacy IMHO.  I updated my laptop knowing the issues and lots of reading research on the end results. (Won't be updating my main workstation any time soon.)

Microsoft and other software suppliers/on line social media websites like Face Book/Twitter/ Gmail/ Chrome/ Adobe/Cell phone apps and most others rely on users not knowing how to disable features these days. "Trust us they say - we know what is good for you"  

This is how they get all of their snooping done and can sell the reports to their advertisers and then push Popup adds and emails that fill your email box with stuff you didn't even know you were interested in. :evil:

this being said over all as a OS the new Windows 10 is doing well on my laptop with no crashes and or issues with the software on it.

Have a good Friday

D
Lethbridge Alberta    
Twitter @DadRankin

by Ed Cordes on Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:17 pm
Ed Cordes
Forum Contributor
Member #:00700
I too did the upgrade on 2 laptops. Process went smoothly. I also agree that you must be careful on what sharing settings you choose. I disabled all of them. So far the W10 interface works well and was easy to learn. I do not see why you would want to avoid this at the present time. If I find out otherwise I'll let you know.
Remember, a little mild insanity keeps us healthy

8 posts |