« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 7 posts | 
by Blck-shouldered Kite on Sun May 24, 2015 5:13 pm
Blck-shouldered Kite
Forum Contributor
Am having a blast videoing outings with my electric-motored canoe.  As you already know, my problem is that the video is chewing up the memory fast.  And I am going to continue to video.  I am hooked!

1.  Is there any disadvantage to upping the card to 128 GB (from the existing 16GB)?

2.  Should I choose something in the middle....say....64 GB?  I mean, the more that goes on there, the longer it takes to PP it and move it to computer files.

3.  There are so many designations on cards.  I want to make sure I get the right one because it is going to be in there for the duration.

4.  Wondering what the advantages of a GoPro would be.  It would be the Silver 4+ if I got one.  And if it does not have Bluetooth it is a NoGoPro for me.  :)  

Thanks ahead
Robert
http://robertkingimages.smugmug.com/

by DChan on Sun May 24, 2015 5:34 pm
DChan
Forum Contributor
Can't give you anything specific but since nobody has responded yet :-)

Generally speaking, for digital memory cards, I think most people use either Lexar or Scandisk. Shouldn't go wrong with either of them. Also, it's recommended that it's better to use multiple, smaller capacity cards rather than one large capacity one. The reason being that you lose everything if you lose that one large card or it goes back for some reason, you'd still get something left if you use multiple cards (providing that you don't lose all of them or that all of them become damaged simultaneously of course :-)  )

If in doubt, read the manual of your camera.

by Blck-shouldered Kite on Sun May 24, 2015 6:54 pm
Blck-shouldered Kite
Forum Contributor
Good points….and thanks. :)

by Anthony Medici on Mon May 25, 2015 2:52 pm
Anthony Medici
Lifetime Member
Member #:00012
Video is entirely different than stills in terms of card needs. The biggest question is "what specs your camera (GoPro?) recommends for use in terms of speed and size specs?" I've never researched that myself. If it works particularly well with certain specs, like class 10 or U3, I'd get that type. I personally don't use anything but Sandisk Pro cards at this time.

Of the Sandisk Pro cards, the bigger the cards the more you lose at one time. Yet with Video, if your file sizes are very large in general because you are simply leaving the camera running, or you are in a situation where changing the card is an issue, then I'd get the larger card to solve the problem. I'm also not sure if you are looking at standard SD sized cards or Micro-SD sized.

I tend to still buy based on price looking to eliminate a premium pricing item that is cutting edge unless that is the only thing that will solve my problem. I will also buy a lower priced, lower spec card that has older tech if I don't need the newer tech. But I do tend to get the fastest speed card that is reasonable since that impacts the time it takes to move the files to my computer. I always buy at least two cards just incase one card decides not to work in the field. (That hasn't happened to me in a very long time but it is still a valid habit just the same.) So if you can only afford so much, buy two smaller cards for that much, not one larger one.

At this time, using standard SD cards, the 512GB card is priced $100 higher than 2 256GB cards so it is obviously a premium priced item. Two 128Gb cards are only $20 cheaper than a 256GB card so that looks like where the premium pricing ends. After that, it is simply how much you have to spend and how many cards you want. Note that I was loping at 90/MBs cards on B&H to determine the premium cards. For Micro SD cards, I'd go with Sandisk Extreme Pro 90/MBs cards. If you needed micro-SD cards, I'd avoid large slow cards in favor of smaller faster cards. It looks like the 90/mbs 64 GB card is actually best both speed and price wise for the microSD cards.
Tony

by Blck-shouldered Kite on Mon May 25, 2015 4:48 pm
Blck-shouldered Kite
Forum Contributor
Thank you for the advice Tony :)

Yes, I am thinking the 64GB is a good compromise.

by Steve Cirone on Mon May 25, 2015 6:23 pm
Steve Cirone
Lifetime Member
Member #:00583
I thought the Samsung S 5 was a telephone. 

Anyway, I went with 64 GB CF Lexar recently, 800X.  The 1000X are twice as much.  I also use the Lexar reader:
So far so good.  I have never had a card failure since going digital in 2003, so I prefer huge cards over several small ones.  I tend to misplace the things once out of the camera.  Just got back from a 3 week photo trip and had 7000+ JPG 7D II images on one card, the entire trip. 

DAILY IMAGE GALLERY:  https://www.facebook.com/steve.cirone.1

IMAGE GALLERY ARCHIVES WITH EXIF: https://www.flickr.com/photos/stevecirone/

by fabiopb1970 on Tue May 26, 2015 1:07 pm
fabiopb1970
Forum Contributor
I think 128GB is too expensive now. You can get 2x 64GB for a little more than jalf the price of the 128GB.
Brands and models:
- Samsung PRO
- Samsung Evo
- Sandisk

Their read/write speed is different. I usually get the faster card when there is a good deal for it.

If you need very often more than 64GB, go with the 128GB.
If you think you may need more than 64GB, get a pendrive to empty the phone card.

Lots of options !
--
Rio de Janeiro - Brazil
www.fbernardino.com.br

7 posts |