Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 11 posts | 
by Kim on Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:43 am
Kim
Forum Contributor
I have my new computer and just installed the lightroom/photoshop package deal they are offering, the latest one. I do not use lightroom and really only wanted Photoshop but wanted to try to learn lightroom as the Nikon software is now too flaky. I am using ACR with my old system which is fine but I would like to use the Tethering features in Lightroom.

All it wants to do is import all my images into a catalogue and will not let me access my normal files. If I let it do that will my original file system still be intact? and do I get a choice on which internal harddrive it is created on?

by Greg Downing on Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:34 am
Greg Downing
Publisher
Member #:00001
You can keep all our photos where they are and simply "add" them to a new catalog instead of copying or moving them which is an option on import. The key is to use the add command at import and not copy or move. Once this is done do not move the files outside of lightroom or lightroom will loose track of them. When adding new files you can maintain your current directory structure if you import properly and pay attention to where the files are going. The lightroom catalog files themselves can be placed anywhere you like.
Greg Downing
Publisher, NatureScapes.Net
[url=http://www.gdphotography.com/]Visit my website for images, workshops and newsletters![/url]

by aolander on Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:06 am
aolander
Forum Contributor
You have to "Import" files for Lightroom to work. When you "Add" to the catalog from existing files/folders, all Lightroom does is make note of where they are. No files are moved and no image files are stored in the catalog; they stay where they are. All edit "instructions" are stored in the catalog (and sidecar file, if you so choose).

When "Importing" from a card, you would have to choose "Copy", but Lightroom copies them to the folder of your choice.
Alan Olander
Minnesota

by Kim on Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:00 pm
Kim
Forum Contributor
Thank you for the information. I will give it a go.

by Vivek on Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:54 pm
Vivek
Lifetime Member
Member #:01186
Kim,

I think that one of the most important options is to write .XMP (sidecar as noted above files) rather than use the Catalog to store the processing information for the raw file. I think this should be enabled by default. Once you process a raw file called say _334A-9445.cr2, LR will create a file called _334A-9445.xmp in the *same folder* where this file is. This file is a text file and contains all the information needed by LR to take the .cr2 file and show you the processed version on the screen.

I cannot recommend this option enough since it keeps the raw processing information out of the catalog and allows you to import the file into another catalog later.

HTH

-- V
-- Vivek Khanzode
http://www.birdpixel.com

by Kim on Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:19 pm
Kim
Forum Contributor
Thank you Vivek. Just when I thought I was up to speed with lightroom you give me another thing to worry about.

by Diane Miller on Fri May 01, 2015 12:34 pm
Diane Miller
Forum Contributor
As I understand, when you choose to write cmp data into sidecar files, it is also stored in the catalog, so you have it both places. I prefer not to have it only in the catalog.

by Diane Miller on Fri May 01, 2015 12:39 pm
Diane Miller
Forum Contributor
Using Lightroom does require understanding how it is structured. There are some tutorials on my web site that attempt to cover the basics. They are several years old but still relevant. They are at the top of the tutorials page.

It is a wonderful program designed for and by photographers and works very well with Photoshop. I couldn't live without it.

by Diane Miller on Fri May 01, 2015 12:40 pm
Diane Miller
Forum Contributor
Using Lightroom does require understanding how it is structured. There are some tutorials on my web site that attempt to cover the basics. They are several years old but still relevant. They are at the top of the tutorials page.

It is a wonderful program designed for and by photographers and works very well with Photoshop. I couldn't live without it.

by Vivek on Fri May 01, 2015 6:07 pm
Vivek
Lifetime Member
Member #:01186
Diane, I wasn't aware that if .xmp files are written then the info is saved in both catalog and .xmp. Is there a web source where this is discussed? I am just curious that is all.

Thanks in advance.

-- V
-- Vivek Khanzode
http://www.birdpixel.com

by Kim on Sat May 02, 2015 1:55 am
Kim
Forum Contributor
Ok - I think I am going fine. I have sidecar files in my original folders that correspond to the files I have added and worked on in Lightroom.

I have been using Adobe product since the early 90's so I am able to carry that knowledge with me to Lightroom. It has a more sophisticated approach than ACR in Photoshop, which is good, as it is closer to the level of options in Nikon Capture and the Upoint ability I was used to.

In particular the Brush and Radial tools do offer a real degree of control over the precision of adjustments. The tonal/curves and colour adjustments function in a similar manner to those in Photoshop proper and for the most part many of the short cut options are the same.

All in all I have adapted to the new software in the space of a few days. The one area I do not like though is the "Catalogue" thing and the consequences of altering/moving file locations on the hard drive.

11 posts |