All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 4 posts | 
by pdschu on Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:41 pm
pdschu
Forum Contributor
EJ et al,

I have a 3TB Seagate backup drive that is probably failing but not sure. I have a replacement HGST 4TB drive and I am in the process of transferring the files to the new drive.  The thing that does not make sense is that the drive will work for about 30 min and then disappears from windows. If I reboot it is instantly there again for another 30 or so minutes. I have changed the SATA cable just to be sure, but no change. Fortunately I am gradually getting the drive copied.

Any thoughts as to why this behavior?
Paul Schumacher
Schumacher Photography

by E.J. Peiker on Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:50 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Probably a thermal issue and a thermal cut-out kicks in after 30 minutes above a certain temperature.

If it were me, I would refrigerate it in a bag with a desiccant pouch in the bag.  After a couple of hours, immediately attach it to the computer and complete the backup.  Since you live in ORL I presume you have AC.  Make sure it is running and drying the air in your home for when you take the drive out to reduce the chance for internal condensation.

If this is an internal drive you might be able to keep it going by taking off the case covers on your system and blowing a fan onto the drive.  If it is an external drive, blow a fan on the drive and in either case, if possible, reduce the temperature in your home as much as possible until the backup is complete and keep the AC running.  If you can move the drive close to an A/C vent, do that too.

by pdschu on Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:56 pm
pdschu
Forum Contributor
Thanks EJ.
Now that you mention it it does seem to last longer since I removed the cover. It is internal. I just now added a fan to the mix,so will see if it lasts even longer.
Paul Schumacher
Schumacher Photography

by E.J. Peiker on Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:04 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
pdschu wrote:Thanks EJ.
Now that you mention it it does seem to last longer since I removed the cover. It is internal. I just now added a fan to the mix,so will see if it lasts even longer.
Crank the AC and see if you can funnels some AC air, via the fans in there.

If you can relocate the graphics card as far away as possible form the HD, that could help too since those are a huge heat-load contributor.

4 posts |