Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 9 posts | 
by absu on Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:59 am
absu
Forum Contributor
I am new in Mac. My usual editing is covered under windows desktop & several images are backed up in external HD. Now when I try to save any file from my new Mac book pro to ex HD it is not allowing any saving of file after editing. Though it is allowing reading & editing via CS6, but simply not allow any writing in EX HD.

Please help.
Anirban Basu

"Beauty is simply reality seen with the eyes of love" 
— Rabindranath Tagore

Email: anirbanbasu0606@gmail.com

by Doug Brown on Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:50 am
Doug Brown
Forum Contributor
Member #:01836
It may be that you need to reformat your external drive. Macs cannot write to NTFS-formatted drives. If you are NTFS-formatted, try reformatting to Mac OS Extended (Journaled) using the Mac's Disk Utility.

by E.J. Peiker on Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:37 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
You likely formatted the drive using Windows and the NTFS format. Mac can read that but not natively write to it. For a shared drive that you can use on either platform do the following:
Backup all of the data on the external drive somewhere on a drive that was formatted on your Mac to either DOS (FAT 32) or MAC OS Journaled.
Format the drive that you copied the data from using DOS as the file format. Copy all of the data back onto the drive. Or just use the drive that you copied all of the data to in the first place.

If you don't need the drive to be Windows compatible anymore, just use MAC OS Journaled as the format.

To format a drive under Mac OS go into Utilities and then Drive Utility and use the Erase function.

by E.J. Peiker on Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:38 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Doug Brown wrote:It may be that you need to reformat your external drive. Macs cannot write to NTFS-formatted drives. If you are NTFS-formatted, try reformatting to Mac OS Extended (Journaled) using the Mac's Disk Utility.
Or DOS which then allows you to use the drive interchangeably on both platforms.

by absu on Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:26 am
absu
Forum Contributor
Thanks EJ & Doug for help. The External HD has one drive which is NTFS. All the data is within it.To do it both Mac & windows compatible (i Need both) I am to copy all the data in my desktop or Mac HD itself for once & then reformat the HD as prescribed by EJ in Mac, then copy them back for once.

Hope it will work.
Anirban Basu

— Rabindranath Tagore

by E.J. Peiker on Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:09 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Yes that should work.  You will want to use the following format option for it to be usable on both platforms interchangeably:

by absu on Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:12 pm
absu
Forum Contributor
Thanks Ej.
Anirban Basu

— Rabindranath Tagore

by Primus on Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:11 am
Primus
Lifetime Member
Member #:02003
The only thing to be aware of formatting the drive in MSDOS or Fat32 is that there is a file size limitation of 4GB, i.e. no single file can be more than 4GB. It is not an issue with photography in general but if you plan to copy an MP4 video file it may not copy.

Pradeep

by absu on Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:11 am
absu
Forum Contributor
Oh that is great Pradeep, though my concern is my images only, but still I may meet this issue anytime. Thanks for caution.
Anirban Basu

— Rabindranath Tagore

9 posts |