All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 48 posts | 
by Ed Cordes on Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:03 pm
Ed Cordes
Forum Contributor
Member #:00700
I have just installed CS5 64 bit on my desk top - Win 7 64 bit. The "Save For Web" function does not work. I get a message that the path is not found. Interestingly, on my lap top with Win 7 all is fine. I have searched the plug ins folder and the Save for Web folder is where it should be on the errant machine. I do have the cache selected as E drive rather than C but this doesn't seem to affect CS4. I still have CS4 on my desk top and it works fine.

Is there some preference I need to select to make the Save for Web function work?

Thanks.
Remember, a little mild insanity keeps us healthy

by E.J. Peiker on Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:20 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
The first thing to do with any Photoshop problem is to Reset the Photoshop preferences file - it is likely corrupt. There are many threads on how to do that and also on the Adobe site. But the basic method is to hold down Ctrl Alt Shift immediately after clicking on the icon to launch the application.

by Ed Cordes on Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:52 pm
Ed Cordes
Forum Contributor
Thanks as always E.J. I'll try it first thing in the morning - it's just about midnight here.

by LesZ on Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:03 am
LesZ
Forum Contributor
I was killing some time browsing some websites, and I came across this thread. Since I had the exact same issue, I figured that, perhaps, posting the solution that worked for me might save you the several frustrating hours that I spent getting to it.

When I installed CS5, like you, save for web worked fine on my laptop installation, but, with the installation on my Windows 7 desktop, I got the same error message when I tried using save for web. I spent lots of time on the Adobe forums, Microsoft forums, and other places, but none of the solutions suggested worked. I also tried things like resetting the Photoshop preferences, and the only thing that did was to cause me to have to spend more time setting up those preferences again, but it did not solve the save for web issue.

Finally, after experimenting for a while on my own, I figured out a solution that did work. In my desktop installation (and I hope in yours), I evidently had a corrupted save for web file. You can find the file by going to Program Files>Common Files>Adobe>Plug-ins>CS5>File Formats. You can try deleting that file and replacing it with the same file from a Photoshop installation for which save for web is working properly. I found at least 3 ways to get a replacement file.

First, if you still have CS4 installed, you can copy the file from the CS4 installation and paste it into the folder for the CS5 installation. The save for web file for CS4 is identical to the one for CS5. Or you can copy the file from your laptop installation for which save for web is working and paste it into the proper folder for the CS5 installation on your desktop. Still, another way to get the file would be to go into User Accounts. Set up a new user account there. Log into that new account and navigate to the CS5 save for web folder. If you copy the folder, log out of the new account, log back into your normal account, and paste the copied file into the proper folder there, it should get things working properly.

Good luck.
http://www.wildlifeimagesbyles.net

by Ed Cordes on Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:02 am
Ed Cordes
Forum Contributor
Tried both of the above and no help. Les the file was not in the tree you posted. Rather it was in Program Files>Adobe>CS5>Plug-ins>import export. This is the same for the machine that is working. I copied the known working file and pasted it in the location. When that didn't work I also pasted it in the file location you suggested - still no help. Adobe Forums are useless in this issue. I checked my CS4 locations and find they are the same as CS5. CS4 still Saves for Web correctly.

Any additional suggestions would be appreciated.

by E.J. Peiker on Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:16 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Have you already tried deleting the preferences file?

by E.J. Peiker on Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:20 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
BTW I had the same problem on a Mac and ended up in A Day In Adobe Hell... One of the things that wasn't working was Save For Web but I had several other problems too:
http://www.naturescapes.net/phpBB3/view ... 2&t=200685&

by Ed Cordes on Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:08 pm
Ed Cordes
Forum Contributor
Thanks again E.J. Yes I tried deleting the preference file first. I guess I'll try a reinstall!! I assume I will have to deactivate first so I will not have activation issues on the reinstall?

by E.J. Peiker on Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:22 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
When you uninstall it asks you if you want to deactivate. Do that and also download the Clean up utility from Adobes web site. The uninstall does not completely take out everything. In my case an old Cs4 file was preventing CS5 from working right so I would suggest you also deactivate and uninstall older versions. Note you do not need to reinstall the older versions for Cs5 to install, you only need the serial number from the older version and you will be asked to enter it when you install CS5.

Here is the clean up utility:
http://www.adobe.com/support/contact/cscleanertool.html

by LesZ on Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:53 pm
LesZ
Forum Contributor
Ed Cordes wrote:Tried both of the above and no help. Les the file was not in the tree you posted. Rather it was in Program Files>Adobe>CS5>Plug-ins>import export. This is the same for the machine that is working. I copied the known working file and pasted it in the location. When that didn't work I also pasted it in the file location you suggested - still no help. Adobe Forums are useless in this issue. I checked my CS4 locations and find they are the same as CS5. CS4 still Saves for Web correctly.

Any additional suggestions would be appreciated.
Sorry for my carelessness. You are correct that the save for web file should be in the import-export folder, and the correct way to get there is Program Files>Adobe>CS5>Plug-ins>import-export. In my earlier post, when trying to recreate the path, I took a wrong turn and led you to the wrong folder.

Did you try setting up a new user account (with administrator privileges)? The reason why I ask is because, when I did so as a shot in the dark and when I opened Photoshop while logged into the new account I was able to successfully use save for web. That is what gave me the idea of copying the save for web file from that new user account and then logging into my normal user account and pasting it there. When I did that, save for web then worked fine in my normal account.

What led me to believe that I had a corrupted file was when I checked the size of the file. In my CS4 installation, in my laptop CS5 installation, and in the file for the new user account I set up, the file size is 7.38 MB, and save for web works in all of those cases. For the non-working save for web file, the file size was 6.xx MB.

When you tried to replace the save for web file, did you use the file from the wrong location to which I sent you or did you get it from the correct location? Obviously, the replacement file to which I had intended to send you was the one from the import-export folder, and, again, its file size should be 7.38 MB

by Ed Cordes on Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:51 pm
Ed Cordes
Forum Contributor
OK, I finally got it to work I hope for ever. Logging in as an admin under a different name did not work. I previously copied all save for web files from my lap top to the desk top. I was careful to copy the identical files from each location in the lap top to identical locations on the desk top - no help. Then I finally copied the CS4 save for web plug in from the location in CS4 Les mentioned to the identical location in CS5 and it works!!!

Thanks so much Les and E.J. for all your help!

Now one more question - Once I am sure all is working can I remove CS4 without hurting anything? I could use the space, but I did wonder if Adobe used the older versions for anything other than validation.

Thanks again.

Ed

by LesZ on Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:38 pm
LesZ
Forum Contributor
Glad to hear that you got it working. I'm not sure why the file from your laptop didn't get it working. When I had my issues, I was able to get it to work with the file from the laptop, with the CS4 file, and with the file from logging in on a different account. From the web research I did, it seems like not having save for web working is a fairly frequent issue, but there must be multiple causes because what works for one person doesn't seem to work for others.

For me, even installing CS5 on my desktop was a headache. The installation went smoothly on my laptop, but, with the desktop, I kept getting a fatal install error at 29%. I made multiple attempts at the installation and made sure that I had uninstalled the previous partially successful attempts, and I also used the Adobe clean up tool. After several hours of trying everything that I could find on web forums, I set up a new account with administrative rights and tried installing CS5 while logged into that account, and that finally worked (with the exception of the save for web issue).

I think that you should be able to uninstall CS4 without hurting anything. I've uninstalled previous versions of PS several times after a new installation of a newer version, and I've never had an issue. You might want to wait a while though until you are sure that everything in CS5 is working and know that you aren't going to have borrow any other files from CS4 to solve some other problem. While I don't think it is likely that you will have such a need, my desire for caution would lead me to play it safe.

by Ed Cordes on Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:25 pm
Ed Cordes
Forum Contributor
Les, I have no idea why the same file that works for my lap top would not work on the desk top! Obviously drove me nuts!! I will eventually uninstall CS4, but it is not that important now so I will wait until there are no glitches for a while then do it.

Thanks again for all your help.

by E.J. Peiker on Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:27 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Yes you can uninstall it! Glad you got it working. I found, that in some unknown circumstances having Cs4 and CS5 on the system can cause some strange problems but thought that was limited to the Mac side but what you described on PC was very similar to what I experienced on One of my Macs but never on my PCs. But one thing is for certain, Adobe's installers are laden with problems and always have been. Furthermore, not being able to stop the constant corruption of the preferences file is inexcusable.

by Ed Cordes on Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:50 am
Ed Cordes
Forum Contributor
Oh Oh not done yet!! Yeterday I assumed that if the dialogue box for Save For Web opened and let me change the preferences within it it would be OK. Alas, I was fool enough to assume. Once I went to actually use it it locked up in the final stages of the save process. Back to the drawing board later today.:evil:

by E.J. Peiker on Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:17 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
OK, that is exactly what was happening to me that spawned my Adobe Day From Hell! What ended up being the problem was a stray hidden CS4 file that even the Adobe clean-up utility did not take out.

by LesZ on Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:09 am
LesZ
Forum Contributor
Ed Cordes wrote:Oh Oh not done yet!! Yeterday I assumed that if the dialogue box for Save For Web opened and let me change the preferences within it it would be OK. Alas, I was fool enough to assume. Once I went to actually use it it locked up in the final stages of the save process. Back to the drawing board later today.:evil:
Try this. I think that there is a good chance that it will get things working.

1. Uninstall CS4
2. Restart computer
3. Run the Adobe Clean Up tool and have it remove all remaining CS4 files
4. Remove the save for web file from your CS5 installation (as before, go to program files>Adobe>CS5>plugins>import-export)
5. Go back and again copy the save for web file from your laptop.
6. Paste that save for web file into the desktop import-export folder.

(before you uninstall CS4, you might want to make a copy of the save for web file from CS4 so that, if the file from your laptop doesn't work, you have one more file to try.)

Then, give it a try.

by Ed Cordes on Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:40 pm
Ed Cordes
Forum Contributor
OK here is where I stand. It still doesn't work. I have followed the advice Les gave using both the CS5 and CS4 SFW files. Prior to trying I ran the Adobe Cleaner and did a registry clean. The CS5 doesn't even open the dialogue box the CS4 opens but will not complete the save action. I then deactivated CS5 and uninstalled it. I made absolutely sure I manually removed all files I could find with CS4 or CS5 designations and reinstalled CS5.

As an aside I did tell the deactivator to not eliminate my serial number to avoid activation issues, but apparently Adobe now handles this through my account as when I give them my sign in info it loads and doesn't harass me for older serial numbers to validate the upgrade version I have. At least I hope I will not be hassled in 30 days!!!

In any case I have a work around using Light Room. I can export files making them any pixel length I want and limit the file size apply sharpening for screen and make them Jpeg. However, unless someone has anything different I will try to get decent info out of Adobe tomorrow night when I get home from work.

E.J. you mentioned a hidden CS4 file that caused your issue. Do you remember where it was?

Thanks again for all the help yoyu guys have been. I will keep this thread up to date as things develop. maybe others can avoid this issue from our experience.

by LesZ on Sun Nov 27, 2011 4:31 pm
LesZ
Forum Contributor
Am I understanding you correctly in saying that your most recent failed attempt came after uninstalling CS4 and running the Adobe clean up tool?

If that is the case, here are a few (grasping at straws) ideas. First, you might try running the clean up tool again, except try doing it in safe mode. If you do and if that doesn't solve the problem, try replacing the save for web file one more time after the safe mode clean up.

If you are down to the stage of trying the CS5 installation from scratch, before doing so, I'd try uninstalling everything Adobe, including Adobe Flash and using the clean up tool to remove everything Adobe, again, including Flash. When you are ready to try the CS5 installation again, try doing it from a newly created account with administrator rights and run the installer as an administrator.

Also, there is an Adobe installation diagnostic tool. I think it is called the Adobe Support Advisor. Perhaps, it might indicate the source of the issue.

One other thought is to reinstall CS4 and then try uninstalling it again, but, instead of using the Windows uninstaller, try using a more aggressive uninstaller like the Revo Uninstaller. Then, after using the clean up tool, try the CS5 installation again.

Reading about your progress (or lack thereof) is making me relive the 12 hours I spent with the same frustration. I hope the solution is close.

by Ed Cordes on Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:21 pm
Ed Cordes
Forum Contributor
Hi Les, I did reinstall CS5 after all the steps I indicated above. I have tried to look at all my lap top files and make them the same in the desk top. I have done all this as an admin. While I did not use safe mode, I am totally convinced that it is time for Adobe to have some skin in this game. After all we are photographers. It is not written that we have to be advanced computer problem solvers to install a packaged software that over the years we have spent a fair amount of $$ for. The fact that it runs on a lap top and will not run on a desk top indicates there is some script that is screwy. The fact that it is essentially a plug in that is not running properly is even more absurd. With the number of people on the Internet who have had this same issue Adobe should have a script ready to send to us that fixes the issue once and for all.

I am calling them tomorrow night.

Thanks again.

48 posts |