Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 7 posts | 
by Kerry on Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:07 am
Kerry
Forum Contributor
Is anyone aware of a high capacity--I'm talking at least 10 TB--small form external hard drive?  I'm looking for something that I can place in my laptop bag, so a desktop-style model is too large.  I've done some poking around and haven't turned up anything, but I know that there are folks who frequent this forum who are much better plugged into what's out there than I am.

Thanks!

Last edited by Kerry on Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Mark L on Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:49 am
Mark L
Forum Contributor
There are a bunch of choices available if you just search.  It is going to be hard to get something with the capacity that you want in a small form factor.  By definition you are restricting yourself to either 2.5" drives or SSDs.  The largest portable SSD that I am aware of is 8TB and it costs thousands of dollars (last time I looked).  
[font=BebasNeueRegular, arial, Georgia, serif]Sabrent Rocket XTRM-Q Thunderbolt 3 NVMe 8TB External SSD Review – Speechless[/font]

Sabrent Rocket XTRM-Q Thunderbolt 3 NVMe 8TB External SSD Review – Speechless
Les Tokar 13 Comments

Oh my.  Having been involved in the flash industry since 2007, I can honestly say I never thought I would have in my hands what I have today….an 8TB external SSD that is powered by only its Thunderbolt 3 data cable  and is 4″ long by 1.75″ wide by 1/2 thick.  It can move data at speeds up to 2.7GB/s.  We have been there with this description once already in our Sabrent Rocket Q 8TB review but…  the 8TB Rocket  XTRM-Q will hold 136,000 hours of music, 320 days of video, 1,480,000 photos or 4000 hours of movies…and you can slip it in your front pocket and simply plug it into any PC.

All the credit to Sabrent.  They have seen the success in flash and there is nothing stopping them now.  We are not even sure if another SSD manufacturer would ever even consider making a 8TB Thunderbold 3 portable SSD…ever.  Any takers?  Samsung?  SanDisk?  Plugable?  ADATA?  Actually as funny as it seems having Plugable included in this list, they are probably the only that might try to better such a feat.  They are another large company that has only recently, like Sabrent, spread its wings in the flash industry.

https://www.thessdreview.com/hardware/p ... peechless/ 

by PullmanPhotographer on Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:48 pm
PullmanPhotographer
Lifetime Member
Member #:02166
Did you really mean to say 10 GB? That is really quite small! The XQD memory cards that I use in my cameras are 32 GB and the Samsung External Portable SSD 2TB drives that I carry for backup are currently selling for $276.58.
Dave Ostrom

by DChan on Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:39 pm
DChan
Forum Contributor
From my memory I believe originally Kerry was asking about 10TB portable drive - hence Mark L's mention of 8TB SSD and the difficulty of finding something 10TB in a small form factor in his response - but changed it to 10GB afterwards. I googled briefly for it a bit and found nothing of 10TB size. Yeah, if it's 10GB, many memory cards will do

by Kerry on Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:22 pm
Kerry
Forum Contributor
Yes, I meant to refer to TERAbytes, not GIGAbytes (and could have sworn I'd done so; -I've edited the original post to reflect this).

My apologies for the confusion.

by E.J. Peiker on Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:58 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
I don't believe there are small form factor storage devices available in the capacity that you are asking about.

by ChrisRoss on Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:04 pm
ChrisRoss
Forum Contributor
High capacity SSD in portable form factor seem to be coming:
https://www.techradar.com/au/news/samsu ... technology
https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker ... e-ces-2020

I also found a vectro-tech 8TB SSD as slightly lower price than the Sabrent linked above as well. I suspect you would be looking at a SSD as all the very high capacity portable conventional HDD seem to be the next size up in form factor and require a power supply.
Chris Ross
Sydney
Australia
http://www.aus-natural.com   Instagram: @ausnaturalimages  Now offering Fine Art printing Services

7 posts |