Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 3 posts | 
by Wildflower-nut on Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:50 pm
Wildflower-nut
Forum Contributor
I've been having trouble with my xps 15 bought in the fall of 2018.  It keeps locking up.  I have to take it apart and disconnect the battery.  I plug the battery back in, close up the case and it works.  Takes 2 special jewler type tool to fix.  Sent it to Dell who said it needed a new battery which was less than 1 year old.  To me this is a software problem as disconnecting the battery give me a true cold boot which reloads the software from scratch.

I'm looking at replacing it with a HP 15 G6.  I'm thinking of HP in that I can get a 2tb m2 drive like I have with the xps 15. 

The i9 laptops have had difficulty with heat.  Has that been solved or am I better off with i7?

three Nvidia video cards to choose from T1000 4gb, T2000 4gb, or T3000 6gb.  Not sure which.  Would like to be able to run an external video display like high end BenQ 27" or Nec off of the laptop when at home.

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:19 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
- i9 heat, if it's a really new model then probably, if it's mid 2019 or earlier maybe not. Fast i7 likely will perform nearly as well everything else being equal including number of cores and turbo speed.
- Depends on your budget, all of the will drive the monitor, I'd get at least the mid-grade...

by Wildflower-nut on Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:04 pm
Wildflower-nut
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:- i9 heat, if it's a really new model then probably, if it's mid 2019 or earlier maybe not.  Fast i7 likely will perform nearly as well everything else being equal including number of cores and turbo speed.
- Depends on your budget, all of the will drive the monitor, I'd get at least the mid-grade...

chip 9th generation april 2019.  computer itself announced May 27, 2019  Based on pugetsystems tests, seems to make biggest difference with lightroom assuming the desktop results are somewhat comparable to what it would have been with laptop chips.  Having had one "turkey" i'm inclined to go with i7  

I can get 64 or 128gb of memory.  May go for 64

Thanks.

3 posts |