Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 8 posts | 
by neverspook on Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:44 pm
neverspook
Forum Contributor
I just downloaded the trial version of Topaz Sharpen AI and tried it on an image of swift foxes.

For the most part, I think it did a pretty good job of selectively sharpening the foxes and de-noising the background.

BUT, it seemed to significantly desaturate/alter the colour of the image! I did not expect that.

I dragged the Topaz image into the same file as the original as a layer on top of the original background layer in Photoshop and then set the blending mode for the sharpened layer to Luminosity. This brought the colour back, even a bit more saturated than the original. But the sharpened layer is a bit darker than the original.

Am I doing something wrong in Topaz?

I generally do all my adjustments and colour correcting on an image and don't actually sharpen it until I know the final output size for specific uses it will be put to. So having Topaz alter my final look for the image when in sharpens is definitely undesirable.

Is there a way to resolve this issue?

Roberta Olenick
www.neverspook.com

by E.J. Peiker on Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:29 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
I have never seen that, it sounds like there is some sort of color space issue in your workflow, possibly that the image is not coming into Adobe with a color space attached or one that Topaz recognizes - is your working color space anything other than sRGB, Adobe RGB, or Prophoto RGB? This definitely seems like a color management issue specific to your computer, application set-up, or workflow.

by Phil Shaw on Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:45 pm
Phil Shaw
Forum Contributor
Member #:00106
I don't see what you are describing either. I use Topaz AI Sharpen as a filter in Photoshop. I am usually sharpening 1600px jpgs for use in lectures and posting to websites. I perform the sharpening on a separate layer. Often Topaz generates artifacts which need to be brushed out using a layer mask. When I'm happy with the sharpening I flatten and export the file. What type of file is it where you are seeing the color/tonal shift - psd, psb, tif. jpg?
Phil Shaw
Essex, UK
[color=#008000][url]http://www.naturephotopro.com[/url][/color]

by neverspook on Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:38 pm
neverspook
Forum Contributor
It was a tiff file in Adobe RGB. When I went to save it in Topaz, the default colour space on the Topaz save window was sRGB which I change to Adobe RGB.

Roberta

by E.J. Peiker on Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:56 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
You will likely need to open a Topaz support ticket - they have probably seen this before and may have a resolution.

by neverspook on Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:39 pm
neverspook
Forum Contributor
Will they open a support ticket for someone just trying the trial version??

Roberta

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:46 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
neverspook wrote:Will they open a support ticket for someone just trying the trial version??

Roberta
They'd be stupid not to unless they don't want sales ;)

by neverspook on Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:35 pm
neverspook
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:
neverspook wrote:Will they open a support ticket for someone just trying the trial version??

Roberta
They'd be stupid not to unless they don't want sales ;)

:)

8 posts |