Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 8 posts | 
by Charlie Woodrich on Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:24 pm
Charlie Woodrich
Forum Contributor
I know this has been asked and answered before but I'm not finding the thread.  The initial part of my workflow is to copy the images from my card to a specific folder on my HD. In LR this was no problem.  But in C1P when I set a new session it duplicates the files in a new folder.  However if I set up a new catalog the duplication doesn't occur but it doesn't automatically create trash, selects, and output folders.  How do I create a new session without duplicating the files?

by E.J. Peiker on Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:27 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
I use one giant master session and that does not happen. The other thing is that you could set up the session first and then import the card into the session.

by Nikon on Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:33 pm
Nikon
Forum Contributor
Could you please outline your Capture One Session workflow if it's not too much trouble. Do you use it as a browser and reference your folder structure as session favorites or do you import them into the session? Thank-you.

by E.J. Peiker on Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:27 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Nikon wrote:Could you please outline your Capture One Session workflow if it's not too much trouble. Do you use it as a browser and reference your folder structure as session favorites or do you import them into the session? Thank-you.
I use my folder structure as a master session.  I import nothing.  I copy my photos from card to the appropriate location based folder and then simply access them through my global session in C1.  I then batch rename them to a custom time/date format.  My folder structure has been with me for 20 years and I generally can find something very fast.  This relieves me of keywording or doing any databasing that can get fouled up and then you have trouble finding your pictures.  i know it's old school in the era of catalogs but it works for me and I have well over a half million photos in my archives.

by Nikon on Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:04 pm
Nikon
Forum Contributor
Thanks, I'm kinda old school also or maybe just getting older!

by Danny Burk on Tue Dec 25, 2018 11:55 pm
Danny Burk
Forum Contributor
Hi E.J. - I happened upon this topic tonight, and your last post gives me hope at trying Capture One again. I've tried multiple times, then go back to ACR. Now that I have the GFX50S, I want to give it another shot.

I've had an older version for awhile, and I've never been able to figure out the folder/storage system from C1's tutorials for Sessions (I have no interest in Catalogue). I watched their current Sessions tutorial tonight and it was incomprehensible, with no similarity to what I want to do. It sounds like your method is what I've wanted to do all along. In short, I organize all my images through Explorer and its file structure, and don't want any changes to that. No Favorites, no separate Sessions, no importing, no backups within C1, etc...just work from my existing file structure.

Let's say that I have a master folder that contains 100 subfolders for different subjects and locations, many of those with their own subfolders. Let's also say that I add new images to 20 of those folders this year, and create 10 additional new folders, all done within Explorer. How can I simply open these in their present state to process them in C1, without making any changes to their structure?

Further, I keep all related files within the same folder so that they're organized and easy to find. For example, I might have the RAW file, a focus stacked .tif, a converted .psd, and a sized and sharpened .psd for printing, and I want them all in the same place. No separate folders for converted files, etc.

All of this is so simple to do with Bridge and ACR. How can I do this in C1?

Many thanks. And Merry Christmas!
Danny Burk
http://www.dannyburk.com
Fine print and imaging sales, drum scanning service, field and Photoshop technique workshops

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:43 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Danny, it's super easy.  Simply open C1, select sessions and proceed with an untitled session.  You can navigate to any folder in the folder tree and access any picture.  You can make changes within C1 to your folder structure, names, photo locations, or you can do it external to that - since you are not generating a catalogue, C1P isn't tasked to become a flat file database...  When running C1P in an untitled session you navigate just like you would in Bridge.

by Danny Burk on Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:40 am
Danny Burk
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:Danny, it's super easy.  Simply open C1, select sessions and proceed with an untitled session.  You can navigate to any folder in the folder tree and access any picture.  You can make changes within C1 to your folder structure, names, photo locations, or you can do it external to that - since you are not generating a catalogue, C1P isn't tasked to become a flat file database...  When running C1P in an untitled session you navigate just like you would in Bridge.
Thanks! Now why didn't anyone else say that? They've all made it sound ridiculously complicated. I'll try that today...
Danny Burk
http://www.dannyburk.com
Fine print and imaging sales, drum scanning service, field and Photoshop technique workshops

8 posts |