Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 5 posts | 
by baldsparrow on Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:54 pm
baldsparrow
Forum Contributor
My iMac is in the process of dying one me and I am preparing for the Apple genius guy to pronounce the last rights. I use Capture One Pro 10 for image processing. If, as seems probable, I need a new computer what would be my best bet? I have just been looking at today's prices and had a heart attack.

I know what the requirements of the software are, so that's not an issue. I think what I am really asking for advice on is should I get a new iMac or is it possible to do good-enough photo processing on a MacBook ... I would like to use a laptop for convenience, but is the screen big enough? This computer will almost exclusively be used for image work ... I have an iPad and MacBook Air for everyday stuff like email and word-processing.

Please don't suggest shifting to Windows unless the price difference is huge - I left them years ago and all my other computers, phones etc are Apple. I just want something off the shelf.

Thanks for suggestions. 

by E.J. Peiker on Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:20 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
C1 definitely works better with a really good graphics card.  Memory and GPU are essential for a good C1 experience, especially if youa re going to shoot images over to Photoshop.  Certainly a MBP with max memory and the fastest processor is adequate but a high spec iMac i7 with 32GB is better.  If it were me in your shoes and a Windows computer is not an option, I would do a build on the Apple website and max everything out - you can not buy this in an Apple store but they will have it to your doorstep in a week.  Here is the page.  Certainly an 8 core can do the job with the other specs on this system but more cores would be better although not fantastically better:
https://www.apple.com/imac-pro/specs/

Above is the answer to your question on the "best"  but certainly the computer on the right side of this screen configured with the fastest processor and 32GB of memory will be a very good performer.
https://www.apple.com/imac/specs/

by baldsparrow on Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:01 pm
baldsparrow
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:C1 definitely works better with a really good graphics card.  Memory and GPU are essential for a good C1 experience, especially if youa re going to shoot images over to Photoshop.  Certainly a MBP with max memory and the fastest processor is adequate but a high spec iMac i7 with 32GB is better.  If it were me in your shoes and a Windows computer is not an option, I would do a build on the Apple website and max everything out - you can not buy this in an Apple store but they will have it to your doorstep in a week.  Here is the page.  Certainly an 8 core can do the job with the other specs on this system but more cores would be better although not fantastically better:
https://www.apple.com/imac-pro/specs/

Above is the answer to your question on the "best"  but certainly the computer on the right side of this screen configured with the fastest processor and 32GB of memory will be a very good performer.
https://www.apple.com/imac/specs/
Thanks for that ... I suspected that was going to be the case. I'd better grit my teeth and open the piggy bank :) 

by E.J. Peiker on Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:23 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
By the way, it may be cheaper to order it with minimum memory and then just buy the 32GB from a third party like crucial. it is very easy to change memory modules on the iMac.

by Mark Boranyak on Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:30 pm
Mark Boranyak
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:By the way, it may be cheaper to order it with minimum memory and then just buy the 32GB from a third party like crucial.  it is very easy to change memory modules on the iMac.
E.J. (as usual) is right. I did it on my IMac in about 10 minutes and I am a total dud when it comes to computers. Saved hundreds of dollars.

5 posts |