Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 14 posts | 
by MPC on Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:04 pm
MPC
Forum Contributor
I bought this mac over a year ago. And absolutely love it. My one complaint is I am getting the spinning beachball on Lightroom and Quicken. I have 4 memory slots with only 2 being filled with 8GB cards for total of 16GB. Is this the problem? Do I need to fill the other 2 or replace all 4 with bigger cards?

Thanks!
[color=#000040][b]Michael P. Centanni[/b][/color]
[url]http://www.mpcentanni.com/[/url]

by Andrew_5488 on Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:14 pm
Andrew_5488
Forum Contributor
MPC wrote:I bought this mac over a year ago. And absolutely love it. My one complaint is I am getting the spinning beachball on Lightroom and Quicken. I have 4 memory slots with only 2 being filled with 8GB cards for total of 16GB. Is this the problem? 

Thanks!
No,the problem is somewhere else. I'd check HD first.

by E.J. Peiker on Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:56 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Definitely repair the disk permissions and if that doesn't do it, try a PRAM reset.  Boot the computer while holding down the Option and P key and hold it down until you hear the boot up chime. Let go of the keys and the computer will complete a normal boot.  These two things can solve many weird Mac problems.

by Brian K. on Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:58 pm
Brian K.
Lifetime Member
Member #:00115
E.J. Peiker wrote:Definitely repair the disk permissions and if that doesn't do it, try a PRAM reset.  Boot the computer while holding down the Option and P key and hold it down until you hear the boot up chime. Let go of the keys and the computer will complete a normal boot.  These two things can solve many weird Mac problems.
E.J.,

Is this something that should be done occasionally, or only if you are having memory issues?

Brian 
[b]Brian D. Kennedy[/b]
[b]NSN 0115[/b]
http://www.bdkennedy.com

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:50 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Repairing disk permissions should be done regularly, say once a month or so. PRAM reset only if the machine is obviously doing something it shouldn't. For example on the Ecuador trip, one person had a Mac that would just spontaneously shut down every once in a while. PRAM reset resolved it - it can resolve many weird behavior issues.

by Jens Peermann on Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:00 am
Jens Peermann
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:Definitely repair the disk permissions and if that doesn't do it, try a PRAM reset.  Boot the computer while holding down the Option and P key and hold it down until you hear the boot up chime. Let go of the keys and the computer will complete a normal boot.  These two things can solve many weird Mac problems.
It's Command-Option-R-O (letter O, not number 0). Best done with left hand pressing Command and R, and right hand pressing Option and O.

Press those keys the moment you hear the boot up chime - not before - and hold them until you hear the boot up chime for a second time, which is usually louder. Then let go and the computer will start up normally with the Parameter RAM (PRAM) reset.

The Disk Permission Repair function is no longer available in later operating systems ( I think they threw it out in Yosemite or El Capitan).
A great photograph is absorbed by the eyes and stored in the heart.

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:47 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Jens Peermann wrote:
The Disk Permission Repair function is no longer available in later operating systems ( I think they threw it out in Yosemite or El Capitan).
They do, it's just called First Aid now.

by david fletcher on Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:26 pm
david fletcher
Member #:00525
"Beginning with OS X El Capitan, system file permissions are automatically protected. It's no longer necessary to verify or repair permissions with Disk Utility."

direct from Apple.... having said that, have just run First Aid on my WD and Seagate, as a routine...
Make your life spectacular!

NSN00525

by Jens Peermann on Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:14 am
Jens Peermann
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:
Jens Peermann wrote:
They do, it's just called First Aid now.

First Aid does not include a Disk Permission verification or repair function. Apple removed that in El Capitan because it is basically an unnecessary utility and rarely needed. It is still available, though, but has to be started via a command line in the Terminal application.

More information here.

by Martin 095 on Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:24 am
Martin 095
Lifetime Member
Member #:01126
What's the difference between Command-Option-R-O and Command-Option-P-R? I thought the latter was the key combo to reset PRAM ...
Best wishes,

Martin
"[i]If there is a sin against life, it consists, perhaps not so much in despairing of life, as hoping for another life and eluding the implacable grandeur of this life[/i]." - Albert Camus

by Jens Peermann on Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:28 am
Jens Peermann
Forum Contributor
Martin 095 wrote:What's the difference between Command-Option-R-O and Command-Option-P-R?  I thought the latter was the key combo to reset PRAM ...
It is Command-Option-P-R. I was multi tasking at the time I typed that and got things mixed up. To my knowledge there is no Command-Option-R-O command. Sorry for the confusion.

by Martin 095 on Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:20 pm
Martin 095
Lifetime Member
Member #:01126
Hi Jens,

No worries, that's what I thought but wanted to make sure.
Best wishes,

Martin
"[i]If there is a sin against life, it consists, perhaps not so much in despairing of life, as hoping for another life and eluding the implacable grandeur of this life[/i]." - Albert Camus

by MPC on Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:07 am
MPC
Forum Contributor
Thanks for the advice, I tried both resets and still  seem to get the beachball on closing Quicken. 

As for the 2 empty slots of memory if I fill them with 8GB cards would it make Lightroom run better? It seems to freeze up sometimes after using it for awhile!

Thanks
[color=#000040][b]Michael P. Centanni[/b][/color]
[url]http://www.mpcentanni.com/[/url]

by signgrap on Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:51 am
signgrap
Lifetime Member
Member #:00424
MPC wrote:Thanks for the advice, I tried both resets and still  seem to get the beachball on closing Quicken. 

As for the 2 empty slots of memory if I fill them with 8GB cards would it make Lightroom run better? It seems to freeze up sometimes after using it for awhile!

Thanks
Lightroom has had this "freeze up" problem for some time. Its resources get overwhelmed when used for extended periods especially when doing lots of local adjustments. Closing and restarting LR makes most of these problems disappear till the cycle repeats itself with continued extended use. LR, PS and any other memory intensive program benefits from additional RAM. If your regularly using large files more RAM will be a help.
Dick Ludwig

14 posts |