All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 49 posts | 
by E.J. Peiker on Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:26 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Tim Zurowski wrote:I can only assume that all these View NX issues are primarily on Macs? 
The whole premise of the thread is an incompatibility of virtually all Nikon software with Mac OSX Sierra and a search for alternative software.

by Woodswalker on Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:51 am
Woodswalker
Forum Contributor
On a side note, I cringe every time there's a Mac OS change. Seems like it's always a losing proposition.

by Eia on Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:06 pm
Eia
Forum Contributor
One basic qr. How do I rename files? For the life of I cannot find where or how. Everything else is great! 
~AnnaMaria~

by E.J. Peiker on Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:18 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Eia wrote:One basic qr. How do I rename files? For the life of I cannot find where or how. Everything else is great! 
Where do you rename files in what?  Not sure what application, or OS, or whatever you are asking about ;)

by Eia on Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:22 am
Eia
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:
Eia wrote:One basic qr. How do I rename files? For the life of I cannot find where or how. Everything else is great! 
Where do you rename files in what?  Not sure what application, or OS, or whatever you are asking about ;)
Fast Raw Viewer....oops, hit submit before I was finished typing.  :oops:
~AnnaMaria~

by Cynthia Crawford on Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:37 am
Cynthia Crawford
Member #:00733
Hindsight...or foresight?

Much sympathy for the OP's dilemma.

FWIW, unless I have a brand new computer (Mac), I don't upgrade the OS for months until I know that everything I want will work- CC plug-ins, etc. I am also running an old printer and scanner, so I want to be sure those are also going to work.  The only thing I find NX-1 good for is seeing where the focal point is....or more importantly, where I missed. :(.  Why can't photoshop do that??  (grumble).  And some camera/lens data is there that is missing in PS/CC.  It can be found in Lightroom, I guess. Three windows open to get information!

I use bridge and Camera Raw (with my D500), before I go to CC- I find those to be adequate. I guess I wouldn't pay another $150 to find out what I might be missing, or even $15.00. Unless I HAVE to upgrade to Sierra, and want those Nikon functions. And I'm not sure if the above mentioned apps show the focal point(s).....

I guess it depends on what you want to get out of an APP. Nikon stuff doesn't cut it for me, nor Canon. But I've been a PS/CC user for many years.
Cynthia (Cindy) Crawford-Moderator, Photo & Digital Art
web site: http://www.creaturekinships.net
"If I Keep a Green Bough in My Heart, the Singing Bird Will Come"  Chinese Proverb

by ericbowles on Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:32 am
ericbowles
Forum Contributor
Nikon has several products.

View NX2 is no longer supported and is not updated for the D500. The same goes for Capture NX2.

View NXi should work fine. You probably simply need to update the software. View NXi is a pretty good RAW converter but mediocre editor.

Nikon NX-D is another supported program and should handle the D500. Again - it is a decent RAW converter but mediocre software.

Lightroom CC does an excellent job with D500 images. There is a cost. At it's core is ACR which handles RAW conversion. You could also use Bridge. With all these programs, you need the latest version.

While I use Lightroom CC, my main tool is Photo Mechanic. It is a fantastic browser, great for ingest, and does a wonderful job with keywords, captions, ratings, etc. It was developed for Associated Press photographers who have to turn around a lot of images very quickly. It's not an editor. But it does use the embedded JPEG in your RAW file, so you get to see the image as you would using the camera settings. Browsing and filtering is very fast because it does not need to create new embedded JPEG files for viewing. If you want to take an edited or unedited image and share them on social medial or email, it is very quick and can add watermarks and resize as required. If you are using another tool for editing, PM will use the embedded thumbnail so I can use PM for a group of images with edits in Capture NX2, Lightroom, and other programs at the same time and generate web sized images with watermarks in seconds.

If you are using a D500, you need to seriously consider investing in a good browser and editor. I can see using free tools, but some of the paid products are quite good. More importantly, there is a lot of training for some of the popular paid software products so you can get the most out of your purchase and shorten the learning curve. It makes little sense to save $100 on software but have to spend 100 hours on learning to use it because of limited education tools and support.
Eric Bowles
BowlesImages

by Cynthia Crawford on Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:08 pm
Cynthia Crawford
Member #:00733
ericbowles wrote:Nikon has several products.  

View NX2 is no longer supported and is not updated for the D500.  The same goes for Capture NX2.

View NXi should work fine.  You probably simply need to update the software.  View NXi is a pretty good RAW converter but mediocre editor.

Nikon NX-D is another supported program and should  handle the D500.  Again - it is a decent RAW converter but mediocre software.

Lightroom CC does an excellent job with D500 images.  There is a cost.  At it's core is ACR which handles RAW conversion.  You could also use Bridge.  With all these programs, you need the latest version.

While I use Lightroom CC, my main tool is Photo Mechanic.   It is a fantastic browser, great for ingest, and does a wonderful job with keywords, captions, ratings, etc.  It was developed for Associated Press photographers who have to turn around a lot of images very quickly.  It's not an editor.  But it does use the embedded JPEG in your RAW file, so you get to see the image as you would using the camera settings.  Browsing and filtering is very fast because it does not need to create new embedded JPEG files for viewing.  If you want to take an edited or unedited image and share them on social medial or email, it is very quick and can add watermarks and resize as required.  If you are using another tool for editing, PM will use the embedded thumbnail so I can use PM for a group of images with edits in Capture NX2, Lightroom, and other programs at the same time and generate web sized images with watermarks in seconds.

If you are using a D500, you need to seriously consider investing in a good browser and editor.  I can see using free tools, but some of the paid products are quite good.  More importantly, there is a lot of training for some of the popular paid software products so you can get the most out of your purchase and shorten the learning curve.  It makes little sense to save $100 on software but have to spend 100 hours on learning to use it because of limited education tools and support.
Hi Eric

Welcome to NSN!  I agree that getting new software can mean a steep learning curve, even with training programs out there. That can get expensive too.  That's why I've stuck with photoshop (now CC)/ bridge/camera raw for ...hmmm....15 years, maybe? I know what I can do there pretty well.   And I agree, the Nikon products aren't good editors. NXi doesn't work on Mac Sierra-which is what to OP was writing about. I can use it on El Capitan, and that's where I'm staying until further notice! ;).  Photo Mechanic sounds interesting, but expensive. Does it show focus points?

To get back to the original query....For browsing I would recommend PS Bridge , as referred to above- they update cameras regularly. But as also mentioned, I'm already used to it, and don't know anything about other apps mentioned. Not sure what is too slow about it- you can configure it  to view a lot if you like. I use the space bar to enlarge and  scroll through pictures on my Mac. If you are using the metadata browser on Bridge, you can see a lot of info. Thumbnails can be made fairly large, you can get several configurations for viewing.

Cynthia (Cindy) Crawford-Moderator, Photo & Digital Art
web site: http://www.creaturekinships.net
"If I Keep a Green Bough in My Heart, the Singing Bird Will Come"  Chinese Proverb

by Gary Gulash on Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:58 pm
Gary Gulash
Forum Contributor
Thanks Cindy, and everyone else who has been so helpful with ideas and suggestions. Much appreciated.

Gary Gulash

49 posts |