« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 9 posts | 
by Porsche917 on Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:12 am
Porsche917
Lifetime Member
Member #:01310
Ladies and Gentlemen:

Will I need to purchase the new Photoshop Creative Cloud, which requires payment of a monthly fee, In order to process images made with my EOS 1DX II in Photoshop?  Years ago, I purchased the standalone version of Photoshop Creative Suiite and upgraded that software whenever upgrades were available.  But when Adobe changed their format for selling Photoshop to the Creative Cloud model,  I did not buy the membership requiring payment of a monthly fee.

Thank you for your thoughts and advice.

Best Regards,

Roman  :D

by Phil Shaw on Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:06 pm
Phil Shaw
Forum Contributor
Member #:00106
If you want to use Adobe Camera Raw to process your raw files you will need to subscribe to the Photoshop CC2015 package (includes Photoshop and Lightroom). You don't need to buy into the whole Adobe CC suite unless you want the additional capabilities of After Effect, Illustrator etc. There are of course other products that you could use for raw file processing like Capture One and DxO (?) for example, or the Canon software that came with your camera. Once you have a .tif file you can use the older versions of Photoshop to process your image further.
Phil Shaw
Essex, UK
[color=#008000][url]http://www.naturephotopro.com[/url][/color]

by EGrav on Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:00 pm
EGrav
Forum Contributor
Or you can use Adobe Dng converter

Last edited by EGrav on Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:47 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
As already stated, if you want to use Adobe Camera RAW to convert EOS 1Dx Mk II CR2 files then the answer is yes. However there are many ways around this. One way would be to convert the files to DNG using Adobe's free DNG converter, then you could use your older version of ACR to decode the files. there are also many other RAW converters on the market that do an excellent job and in some cases a Bette job than ACR. Once you RAW convert the files with one of the other ways, you can still use your version of Photoshop to work the TIF or PSD files that you generate with any of the methods.

I personally use Capture One for my RAW conversions and much of my image editing and then use Photoshop CS6 to finish the images.

by signgrap on Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:44 pm
signgrap
Lifetime Member
Member #:00424
Some Canon shooters prefer Canon's RAW Digital Photo Pro software as they like the converted files better - less noise, better color rendition cleaner files. As E.J. said, once the RAW files are converted you can use your older (assume CS6) Photoshop software without a problem. Sure saves paying your hard earned $ to Adobe every month.
Dick Ludwig

by Anthony Medici on Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:21 pm
Anthony Medici
Lifetime Member
Member #:00012
I'm still using Lightroom 6, which is still being updated for newer cameras at this time. I then use Photoshop CS6 by outputting PSD files from Lightroom. This will continue to work for me until they decide to not update Lightroom 6 for newer cameras and I buy a camera it doesn't support.
Tony

by Jeff Colburn on Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:10 pm
Jeff Colburn
Forum Contributor
I switched over to Photoshop Elements, and it meets my needs (I also have Lightroom 6). It reads my raw files and gives me the manipulation tools I need. I refuse to pay monthly rent for software.

Have Fun,
Jeff
Fine Art Prints and Stock Photography of Arizona www.JeffColburn.com See my ebooks in the NatureScapes Store.

by E.J. Peiker on Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:01 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Anthony Medici wrote:I'm still using Lightroom 6, which is still being updated for newer cameras at this time. I then use Photoshop CS6 by outputting PSD files from Lightroom. This will continue to work for me until they decide to not update Lightroom 6 for newer cameras and I buy a camera it doesn't support.
I'm sure you realize that LR6 is not being updated with all of the new features in LR-CC though.  But at least for now, they are still updating the camera tables.

by Anthony Medici on Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:56 am
Anthony Medici
Lifetime Member
Member #:00012
Yep though with some pre-sets I downloaded, I'm able to use some of the new features. The big question is "Will there be a Lightroom 7?" or will Lightroom 6 be the last version that isn't CC. In the meantime, It still works very effectively as a converter for the latest cameras.
Tony

9 posts |