Moderator: Greg Downing

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 7 posts | 
by night86mare on Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:57 am
night86mare
Forum Contributor
Congratulations! This is the Image of the Week selection for the Travel and Culture Gallery, week ending 12th October, 2012!
National Museum, Singapore.
WK
Gallery | FB | 500px

"We photograph to drive things out of our minds."

by Gary Briney on Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:05 pm
Gary Briney
Lifetime Member
Member #:00336
Great natural light shot WK -- the floor and windows suggest a buildling from long ago. The stairs are certainly a curiosity -- perhaps for access to storage? Since it's a museum, it makes me wonder what sort of treasures might be tucked away in the attic!
G. Briney

by Tom Robbins on Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:55 pm
Tom Robbins
Forum Contributor
Agree with Gary, I'd sure like to know where this staircase leads. Being in a museum, I suppose it might be an exhibit that goes nowhere. If that's the case, WK, please don't spoil the mystery. :)

by Gary Briney on Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:18 pm
Gary Briney
Lifetime Member
Member #:00336
Tom Robbins wrote:...please don't spoil the mystery. :)
Absolutely -- I'm with Tom on that score! :)
G. Briney

Last edited by Gary Briney on Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by SantaFeJoe on Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:42 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
I get tired just thinking about climbing this staircase, especially in the direction it spirals! It almost makes me dizzy! It definitely invokes emotion.

SFJ
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by Royce Howland on Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:23 am
Royce Howland
Forum Contributor
Member #:00460
Beautiful lighting on this. I really like how the glow from the two sets of windows highlights the ornate spiral of the staircase against the more plain & linear geometry of the walls & floors. The stairs have a sense of 3 dimensions within the space due to the window lighting on both sides, and due to rising up into shadow.

The toning of the image is an interesting addition as well; I typically favor warm tones over cooler ones but I really like how this looks. I think the cool toning contributes to the sense of mystery by making things appear a bit more austere, and even lonely. There's no artworks or furnishings nearby, nothing else on the floor, not even any details visible through the windows. Why is this staircase here, isolated in the corner of this room? Where does it go? What's the story?

I read a good quote recently that said you can make more powerful images by asking the viewers a question, and then not answering it! I see this photo as an example of that thinking. :) Very nice!
Royce Howland

by Glenn NK on Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:53 pm
Glenn NK
Lifetime Member
Member #:01120
This is a classic shot. The darkness at the top of the stairs add a lot of intrigue.

Much of its strength is in that is leaves us wondering what is up there. Excellent.

Glenn
Economics:  the study of achieving infinite growth with finite resources.

7 posts |