« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 10 posts | 
by SantaFeJoe on Tue Mar 29, 2022 11:48 am
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
This is an ongoing threat to photographers in SF. It can happen anywhere, though.

Canadian Film Crew Robbed at Gunpoint

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by OntPhoto on Sun Apr 03, 2022 2:30 am
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
While I have never been to San Francisco, I had no idea this was a big issue there.  Maybe the work of an organized gang.  I'm almost certain.  The surprising things is the police haven't been able to stop them yet.  The vehicle the robbers used likely was stolen.  Eye-opener for sure especially with the items they are going after.  

The only image in my head of San Francisco to this day are the hippies back in the 60's (Scott Mckenzie who had that iconic and still wonderful song, summing up that period of time), one of the largest chinatowns in the USA, the Golden Gate bridge.  Tony Bennet.  etc.

Last edited by OntPhoto on Sun Apr 03, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

by SantaFeJoe on Sun Apr 03, 2022 7:16 am
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
If you use the search bar at the top of the page and enter "Golden Gate Bridge" you will see a few entries in the galleries, so that's why I posted this advisory. It's a place many of us may consider to be safe. I used to photograph ducks at a lake in Denver with no concerns, but someone who lives close to there posted on these forums that it is not a safe area! Little did I know!!! It's always good to be aware.

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by SantaFeJoe on Sun May 22, 2022 6:29 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
It’s really a problem in San Francisco. The thieves are getting really bold.

https://petapixel.com/2021/05/24/i-was- ... as-rolled/

https://www.dpreview.com/news/552722249 ... -francisco

Sure, it can happen anywhere, as I stated in the OP, but these are some really bold examples.

Joe

by E.J. Peiker on Sun May 22, 2022 6:50 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Crime, especially robberies are way up in SF, largely due to misguided policy of the current DA for not prosecuting these kind of crimes. He is currently facing a recall referendum due to this.

by ricardo00 on Mon May 23, 2022 12:25 pm
ricardo00
Forum Contributor
Not sure what statistics you have seen EJ, but robberies in SF have been a problem for many years.  When I was commuting to work in SF in 1980-1984, my modest Toyota car was broken into 3 times by robbers looking to steal things even though there was nothing in the car worth stealing (they once took my radio).  When I started photographing wildlife I would go to Golden Gate Park in SF (2017-2019) and was warned by numerous people to be careful, go with a buddy, etc and was told stories of photographers getting mugged (no longer do this).  With COVID many people in prison charged with robberies were released (this was done by a different state office, not the DA).  Also more "organized" robberies like the smash and grab attacks on jewelry and computer stores began.  Don't think these can be blamed on the current DA who started Jan 2020.  Personally, don't know enough abut the DA to have an opinion on his recall (I don't get to vote on it so haven't looked into it).  However I can assure you that his recall will not dramatically change the fact that SF is not safe for people walking about with expensive photographic equipment.  How this compares with other large cities I don't know.  But unfortunately robberies will be a fact of life for most of us for the future unless camera companies make it possible for us to deactivate our gear if stolen (like the farm equipment that was stolen in the Ukraine).

by E.J. Peiker on Mon May 23, 2022 5:55 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
ricardo00 wrote:Not sure what statistics you have seen EJ, but robberies in SF have been a problem for many years.  When I was commuting to work in SF in 1980-1984, my modest Toyota car was broken into 3 times by robbers looking to steal things even though there was nothing in the car worth stealing (they once took my radio).  When I started photographing wildlife I would go to Golden Gate Park in SF (2017-2019) and was warned by numerous people to be careful, go with a buddy, etc and was told stories of photographers getting mugged (no longer do this).  With COVID many people in prison charged with robberies were released (this was done by a different state office, not the DA).  Also more "organized" robberies like the smash and grab attacks on jewelry and computer stores began.  Don't think these can be blamed on the current DA who started Jan 2020.  Personally, don't know enough abut the DA to have an opinion on his recall (I don't get to vote on it so haven't looked into it).  However I can assure you that his recall will not dramatically change the fact that SF is not safe for people walking about with expensive photographic equipment.  How this compares with other large cities I don't know.  But unfortunately robberies will be a fact of life for most of us for the future unless camera companies make it possible for us to deactivate our gear if stolen (like the farm equipment that was stolen in the Ukraine).
If you watch any national news (regardless of whether it's left leaning or right leaning) SF has been in the news a lot in the last year or so about the large increase in robbery and the lack of prosecuting the crimes.  In fact several national businesses have shuttered stores there since they are getting robbed very brazenly and out in the open with little to no enforcement.  

Here is a local area media summary of the issues but a simple Google search will turn up literally hundreds of articles on the problems.  
https://abc7news.com/san-francisco-crim ... /11727958/

It probably hasn't helped that CA reclassified property crimes and theft of less than $950 as misdemeanors.

On the other hand, SF stacks up fairly well with respect to violent crime like murder, rape, etc...

by Steve Cirone on Thu Jun 09, 2022 10:05 pm
Steve Cirone
Lifetime Member
Member #:00583
E.J. Peiker wrote:Crime, especially robberies are way up in SF, largely due to misguided policy of the current DA for not prosecuting these kind of crimes.  He is currently facing a recall referendum due to this.

He was recalled in the election.

DAILY IMAGE GALLERY:  https://www.facebook.com/steve.cirone.1

IMAGE GALLERY ARCHIVES WITH EXIF: https://www.flickr.com/photos/stevecirone/

by jnadler on Mon Sep 26, 2022 7:16 pm
jnadler
Forum Contributor
My main gear concern in SF would be slipping on the poop on the sidewalks and falling down, dropping my gear, My son is there for a week conference and is seeing this, even outside of the infamous Tenderloin district.

by SantaFeJoe on Sun Nov 13, 2022 2:12 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Here’s another incident:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dR8Sh-ysbo

Joe

10 posts |