Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 5 posts | 
by Swissblad on Sun Feb 13, 2022 2:44 am
Swissblad
Forum Contributor
the development of more advanced 3rd party mirrorless lenses?

I just watched an interesting review of the Nikon & Tamron 28-75mm f2.8lenses, where the question was raised whether the "smaller size" of the Sony E-mount was restricting the development of more optimal or advanced 3rd party lenses for the larger Nikon Z or Leica L mount ie. Sigma lenses for the L mount are constrained by being designed in parallel for Sony, rather than being natively designed for the L mount.

Curious as to your views. 

by Scott Fairbairn on Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:45 am
Scott Fairbairn
Forum Contributor
Member #:00437
Interesting, but Sony has some great lenses so on the surface, it doesn't appear to matter all that much. I don't know that Nikon or Canon have any lenses that couldn't have been made for Sony, or at least ones that anyone would want to buy(thinking about the nikon 58mm NOCT).

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Feb 16, 2022 12:39 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
I think Sony has proven this criticism of the size of their mount to be wrong, or at best, just a bit more challenging for lens designers multiple time.

by hullyjr on Thu Feb 24, 2022 5:46 pm
hullyjr
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:I think Sony has proven this criticism of the size of their mount to be wrong, or at best, just a bit more challenging for lens designers multiple time.
Maybe the design of the sensor relative to the mount? See the bokeh section here:
https://opticallimits.com/sony-alpha-ap ... 95?start=1

Jim
Jim Hully
Grayslake, IL
Images now at https://www.flickr.com/photos/138068378@N06/

by E.J. Peiker on Sat Feb 26, 2022 10:38 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
That article makes no sense, there is no physical difference between the Sony APS-C and full frame mount, they are absolutely identical in every way. It is exactly the same spec - Sony E-mount. It's only the lenses that project a full frame image circle that are designated FE, there isn't an FE lens mount. The lens test is for an APS-C lens while the debate about the Sony mount being limited due to its size is all about full frame lenses and designs.

5 posts |