Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Topic Locked  
 First unread post  | 9 posts | 
by SantaFeJoe on Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:03 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Occasionally, I see an image that stands out and like to post a link. This is one of them. Best to ignore the comments after the article. It doesn’t matter how or where the image was taken. It’s pretty cool!

BabyBarn Owl Running

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:11 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
LOL - that is very cool!

by Andrew_5488 on Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:17 am
Andrew_5488
Forum Contributor
SantaFeJoe wrote:Occasionally, I see an image that stands out and like to post a link. This is one of them. Best to ignore the comments after the article. It doesn’t matter how or where the image was taken. It’s pretty cool!

BabyBarn Owl Running

Joe
It matters very much how the picture was taken. It's sad that people at wildlife photography sites like this one don't recognize it.

by SantaFeJoe on Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:55 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Andrew_5488 wrote:It matters very much how the picture was taken. It's sad that people at wildlife photography sites like this one don't recognize it.
In the comments under the article, there were unfounded accusations that the image was taken at an owl preserve(conservatory) or a falconers place. Even if true, this person is not a professional wildlife photographer and there are no rules that say an image taken at a wildlife center is any less valid than one taken in the wild. We all have our standards, whether as professionals or not, and they are not the same. No one said the owl was harassed or disturbed in any way. Here at NSN, images of captive animals are allowed as long as they are captioned with a (C). A look at the Birds forum will show many captive bird images. I'm certain some people on this site probably sell images of captive wildlife and trained birds. That's their prerogative. From posting guidelines on NSN:

"For captive subjects it is recommended a (c) be placed after the subject title text, as well as in the message text."

Now if the image is photoshopped to alter it, and that's always a strong possibility, and it is presented as a straight shot, then there is a problem.

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by Ed Cordes on Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:53 pm
Ed Cordes
Forum Contributor
Member #:00700
Regardless of location or environment or captive or not, this image id COOL!!!
Remember, a little mild insanity keeps us healthy

by Andrew_5488 on Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:59 pm
Andrew_5488
Forum Contributor
SantaFeJoe wrote:
Andrew_5488 wrote:It matters very much how the picture was taken. It's sad that people at wildlife photography sites like this one don't recognize it.
In the comments under the article, there were unfounded accusations that the image was taken at an owl preserve(conservatory) or a falconers place. Even if true, this person is not a professional wildlife photographer and there are no rules that say an image taken at a wildlife center is any less valid than one taken in the wild. We all have our standards, whether as professionals or not, and they are not the same. No one said the owl was harassed or disturbed in any way. Here at NSN, images of captive animals are allowed as long as they are captioned with a (C). A look at the Birds forum will show many captive bird images. I'm certain some people on this site probably sell images of captive wildlife and trained birds. That's their prerogative. From posting guidelines on NSN:

"For captive subjects it is recommended a (c) be placed after the subject title text, as well as in the message text."

Now if the image is photoshopped to alter it, and that's always a strong possibility, and it is presented as a straight shot, then there is a problem.

Joe
Accusation was that photo op was staged and baby owl was baited with food.
No matter how small, exploitation is exploitation. It doesn't matter if a photographer is not a professional. They should educate themselves.
It's not a matter of a subject being captive. I don't have any issues with people taking pictures of captive animals in rescue centers or zoo (although I do have problems with existence of zoos). It's about animals being exploited. Dancing elephants, painting elephants, photo game farms, etc.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CSEsazDrwt-/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link
Please read description under the photo.

My hope is that we-people loving nature and wildlife- would not participate in activities which would encourage exploitation of wildlife for whatever purpose. I'm being constantly reminded that I'm hopelessly naive.

by SantaFeJoe on Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:34 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Andrew_5488 wrote:Accusation was that photo op was staged and baby owl was baited with food.
No matter how small, exploitation is exploitation. It doesn't matter if a photographer is not a professional. They should educate themselves.
It's not a matter of a subject being captive. I don't have any issues with people taking pictures of captive animals in rescue centers or zoo (although I do have problems with existence of zoos). It's about animals being exploited. Dancing elephants, painting elephants, photo game farms, etc.

My hope is that we-people loving nature and wildlife- would not participate in activities which would encourage exploitation of wildlife for whatever purpose. I'm being constantly reminded that I'm hopelessly naive.
I have no idea what description under the photo you are talking about. The accusation about the owl being baited is an undocumented allegation. We have been down this road before regarding ethics ad nauseam:

Previous Thread

Another thread

I think it’s best to just leave it at that.

Joe

by Andrew_5488 on Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:28 am
Andrew_5488
Forum Contributor
SantaFeJoe wrote:
Andrew_5488 wrote:Accusation was that photo op was staged and baby owl was baited with food.

I have no idea what description under the photo you are talking about. The accusation about the owl being baited is an undocumented allegation. We have been down this road before regarding ethics ad nauseam:

Previous Thread

Another thread

I think it’s best to just leave it at that.

Joe

Description about exploitation business.

The accusation was made by a person who supposedly was there. Why would I need documentation ?
What the person making allegation has to gain from it ?
Nothing.

If you don't like the push back, don't bring the subject up.

by E.J. Peiker on Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:58 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Without all the facts, we are just arguing for the point of arguing at this point. Both sides of the argument have been presented so at this point I’m going to close the thread.

9 posts |