All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 5 posts | 
by Kitz65 on Sun Oct 31, 2021 4:56 pm
Kitz65
Forum Contributor
Hello, 
   I’d like to see the Bighorn Sheep rut this November/December and would appreciate advice on the best place to go to photograph/video. I believe by “best” I mean, closest access to them (I understand wild animal distance rules) , easiest area to access and largest herds to hopefully ensure sightings. 
   I’ve been searching online and have thought about Whiskey Basin/ Dubois Wyoming and Waterton Canyon in Colorado. If anyone could advise on current area to view them and which weeks in November/December seem the most likely to see them during rut, I would greatly appreciate it. ANY other information or tips are appreciated also.
         Thank you, 
             Kitz

by SantaFeJoe on Mon Nov 01, 2021 7:33 am
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
This is a good source of information for the Whiskey Basin area:

https://bighorn.org/

I've had success in the Georgetown, Colorado area in the past around Thanksgiving. You can try this:

https://georgetownbighornsheepfestival.wordpress.com/

In New Mexico, we have plenty of sheep, but I can't recommend a reliable area anymore, as things have changed recently.

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by Srcan on Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:31 am
Srcan
Forum Contributor
Been a couple of years since I've been to either but Waterton most recently. Georgetown had an access road that ran parallel to the interstate that allowed good access but it was discouraged, though not forbidden, private road, by CDOW. The sheep would at times get very close but it also allowed for more environmental shows when they would move up the mountain. Be aware that traffic heading into the mountains can be very heavy both ways. They can also be seen around Dumont (just before G-Town)
Waterton is a nice easy hike (flat and smooth). It's basically a "paved" dirt road running parallel to a river with steep canyons on either side. The times i've been there, the sheep were found within the first couple of miles. They also spent a lot of time on the road so if human elements bother you, that may be an issue. You can get some very good close ups and they do run up the canyons and across the river. There will be a lot of people watching, hiking, and riding bikes through the canyon. You may also see some Mule Deer at the beginning of the canyon.

by Srcan on Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:34 am
Srcan
Forum Contributor
Forgot to mention dates. Starting now through early/mid-December. We're unseasonably warm right now but I think some cooler weather is coming next week. I've always had good sightings around Veterans Day.

by Kitz65 on Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:01 am
Kitz65
Forum Contributor
Thank you Srcan,

At this point, I'm thinking that Waterton sounds the easiest to access. I really appreciate your and SanteFeJoe's information. If I have time to stay as long as I'd like, I'll also drive to Georgetown.

5 posts |