Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 9 posts | 
by OntPhoto on Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:03 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
NYT story.  Someone's drone crashes leading to 2,500 terns leaving the Bosa Chica Ecological Reserve in California and abandoning 1,500 eggs. 

1,500 eggs waiting to hatch until drone crashes

by Swissblad on Sat Jun 05, 2021 4:05 am
Swissblad
Forum Contributor
Sad and sickening!

by david fletcher on Sat Jun 05, 2021 11:50 am
david fletcher
Member #:00525
Swissblad wrote:Sad and sickening!
+1500.  

Mind boggling!
Make your life spectacular!

NSN00525

by rajandesai on Sat Jun 05, 2021 2:28 pm
rajandesai
Forum Contributor
Member #:01263
Yeah, read it before. Get me so mad every time I read about it.

by ADKShooter on Sat Jun 05, 2021 7:12 pm
ADKShooter
Forum Contributor
Member #:02167
1,500 !! That's almost incomprehensible. Just terrible.

by Wildflower-nut on Sat Jun 05, 2021 7:41 pm
Wildflower-nut
Forum Contributor
It seems there is always someone who wants to do his own thing and in the process gives everyone a bad name. My guess drones are eventually going to be so highly regulated that they are not worth fooling with except for commercial purposes. Too bad. A lot of great photography coming from them properly used.

by signgrap on Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:26 am
signgrap
Lifetime Member
Member #:00424
This video might provide a more in-depth view of what occurred.
https://www.dpreview.com/news/300362461 ... one-pilots
Dick Ludwig

by Scott Fairbairn on Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:05 am
Scott Fairbairn
Forum Contributor
Member #:00437
Well, if it scares drone operators away from an area they're not supposed to be using, then I guess that's a good thing. Interestingly, the link shows people walking on a boardwalk, and they deliberately flush a tern off the rail as they were walking—no need to do that either. From reading further on it, it sounds like people flagrantly ignore the rules from drones to walking to dogs to bicycling. It's too bad, but it seems every new thing goes from wonderful to detrimental in a short time. I have a drone, but I feel like a criminal every time I use it, and that's in areas where it's allowed!

by SantaFeJoe on Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:02 am
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
I tend to agree with Jeff(archfotos). There are a lot of reasons why the birds could have abandoned their nests. The drone crashes are probably not the real reason, but every news story took those incidents and ran with them as if they were absolute fact. The terns didn’t use the LA Harbor site this year either. Why? There are many unknowns that could factor in to the equation. I also read that there was a problem with ground squirrels raiding the nests there at Bolsa Chica. The websites specifically dedicated to Bolsa Chica don’t seem to even mention the incidents with the drones. That’s unusual to me. They don’t even know where the terns went to. Dogs have also been a huge problem there, as well. Surely, there must be video footage of the drones impact on the birds, with the huge numbers of visitors there. Until hard facts come out, it is not fair to just blame the easy target. I don’t have a drone and don’t like them much, but I do believe in knowing the facts before blaming them for such a heavy crime. The nesting instinct is strong and can be witnessed all the time when you see a small bird chasing off crows, ravens and other larger birds from near the smaller birds nests. Even the terns are known for fending off intruders. I hope more info comes out and the true reasons for the abandonment of the nests becomes known. I’d bet it is not the drones. They surely only momentarily disrupted the terns. If it truly was the drones, I’d be very surprised. Here’s a link to some older info on terns nesting and predation:

https://nrm.dfg.ca.gov/FileHandler.ashx?DocumentID=3049

Note page numbered 7 in particular.

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

9 posts |