Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 6 posts | 
by Wildflower-nut on Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:24 am
Wildflower-nut
Forum Contributor
Trying to find a fanny pack (preferably padded) to carry a couple of lenses (24-105, 16-35) and things like a couple of filters, lume cube and an cable release (yes I know they are electronic now).  Thoughts?

by mortsgah on Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:03 pm
mortsgah
Forum Contributor
I have used Mountainsmith brand photo specific fanny packs and found them suitable. I do find I tend towards using a full backpack more often since I always seem to want to carry more than a fanny pack can fit. But the fanny packs I have tried, the Mountainsmith brand had the largest ones I saw (within reason).
erik
http://www.erikhagstrom.com

by E.J. Peiker on Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:06 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
I still have a 25 year old version of the Lowepro one, turns out they still make them - would easily carry those two lenses:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/Wais ... 4232860965

by Wildflower-nut on Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:17 am
Wildflower-nut
Forum Contributor
Feel like the 3 bears. This one is too small this one too large looking for one just right. Resorted to ebay and bought used lowepro orion. I've used them slung over a saddle horn and hiking in mountains. Most of the time I used a back pack but when traveling light fanny pack. Larry west ended up with just a small zipper bag to carry just a few accessories and no spare lens. another alternative would be a photo vest. Used to have Domke but I think they quit making them.

I've used the mountain smith duffel for years and they make good stuff. I'll look at that. The one lowepro makes now seems a little small compared to orion. I may order one and compare.

by SantaFeJoe on Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:16 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
I’ve tried large, I’ve tried small, but this one is just right for me. It carries my D700 with a TC14e and 300 f4 pf lens attached. I can also carry a 50mm lens, a spare battery and a pair of small Leica binoculars in the same compartment. In the side pocket, I carry an extra battery and lens caps.They have been discontinued, but there are still a few around. Anything larger just throws off my balance and makes me feel clumsy. Anything smaller just doesn’t carry enough. The model is called “Sideline Shooter”. One nice thing about it is that the flap opens away from your waist, so it doesn’t get in the way of access to the contents and it is also well padded at the hip side.

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by pablo on Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:12 pm
pablo
Forum Contributor
I have a Mountainsmith day pack that I got at  LL Bean over 15 years ago.  I added an Ape Case Cubeze QB3 flexible storage cube from B&H.  Love the combination . With the Cubeze inside the pack,  I can put my Canon R6 in a middle section with lens attached and there are two side sections for another lens plus more.  What I most like is the Mountainsmith has a fine suspension  to hold the pack close in the small of my back. It rides very well in place. The shoulder strap lets me swing the pack around to the front for access.   With the Cubeze I can pull the lens/camera out easily for when I am doing something else.

6 posts |