Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 11 posts | 
by Kerry on Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:33 pm
Kerry
Forum Contributor
I'm anticipating doing some stream hiking in Utah this spring.  I've waded into/through water countless times over the years using rubber boots, but that's not going to be appropriate for this excursion because a fair amount of hiking is going to be involved and because water levels may be high enough in a few spots to clear the top of knee-high boots.

When I hiked the Virgin River Narrows in Zion NP in early May nearly a decade ago I rented a full-blown drysuit given the water levels, how cold the water was and how much time I needed to spend in the river, but that's overkill for what I'm planning this year.

I'm wondering if anyone has a recommendation for water shoes and/or socks appropriate for what I'm planning.

Thanks!

by Jeff Colburn on Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:36 pm
Jeff Colburn
Forum Contributor
Hi,

I've given this some thought due to a hike I want to take, and the trails crosses a stream many time.

I've considered SCUBA booties or something like the Eddie Bauer Eddie Amphib.

Have Fun,
Jeff
Fine Art Prints and Stock Photography of Arizona www.JeffColburn.com See my ebooks in the NatureScapes Store.

by SantaFeJoe on Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:14 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Beware that if you are hiking with wet socks or boots, you may get blisters that will ruin your trip. It’s probably too much work to change boots every time you cross water, but you might regret hiking with wet boots.

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by merlinator on Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:40 pm
merlinator
Forum Contributor
Have you considered boot foot waders and wading boots. Easy and comfortable.
Roy

by delong1301 on Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:16 am
delong1301
Forum Contributor
On trips to Alaska I take a pair of Crocks with me and clip them to my backpack. When I need to cross a stream I simply take my shoes and socks off, roll up my pant legs and cross with the Crocks on. Very lightweight and being plastic I just shake the water off, put my shoes and socks back on...and I'm on my way. Works for me.

by Scott Fairbairn on Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:59 am
Scott Fairbairn
Forum Contributor
Member #:00437
My brother in law has waterproof shoes, some kind of kayaker shoe I believe. He wears neoprene socks and uses them for hiking in swamps, bogs, crossing streams , etc. He swears by them.

by Stephen Feingold on Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:33 am
Stephen Feingold
Forum Contributor
Korkers makes wading boots for fishermen. They are unique by having interchangeable soles for different purposes,
such as hiking, streams, wet rocks, or ice.

by RichS100 on Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:16 pm
RichS100
Forum Contributor
Stephen Feingold wrote:Korkers makes wading boots for fishermen. They are unique by having interchangeable soles for different purposes,

I'll second Korkers. I have them for Fly Fishing but have hiked several miles in them with no problems. I wear a pair of thin socks first then neoprene wading socks over them. When you buy Korkers you buy a size bigger than normal to make space for the neoprene socks. 
 Rich Strobel

by Scott Fairbairn on Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:45 pm
Scott Fairbairn
Forum Contributor
Member #:00437
RichS100 wrote:
Stephen Feingold wrote:Korkers makes wading boots for fishermen. They are unique by having interchangeable soles for different purposes,

I'll second Korkers. I have them for Fly Fishing but have hiked several miles in them with no problems. I wear a pair of thin socks first then neoprene wading socks over them. When you buy Korkers you buy a size bigger than normal to make space for the neoprene socks. 
 Rich Strobel

Where's a good place to buy them?

by RichS100 on Sat Mar 13, 2021 4:10 pm
RichS100
Forum Contributor
Scott Fairbairn wrote:
RichS100 wrote:

Rich Strobel

Where's a good place to buy them?

I think you will find them at Sportsman's Warehouse, they are a nationwide chain I think, you could try them on there just make sure to try them on with the neoprene socks.

Rich Strobel

by Kerry on Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:36 pm
Kerry
Forum Contributor
Thanks for all the suggestions, much appreciated.

11 posts |