« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 5 posts | 
by SantaFeJoe on Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:56 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
The loser in all this is the fox, but it is a bit more complicated than it appears. 

https://fstoppers.com/animal/foxes-whistleblowing-cancel-culture-and-david-yarrow-549565

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by OntPhoto on Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:26 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
I was wondering WHY they had to euthanize the red fox until I read the part about it jumping onto golf carts and pinic tables.  It becomes a nuisance then.  Not sure if relocating would be an alternative or maybe it was too much effort to do so.  Certainly it would not be anywhere near people or the same behaviour would persist.  

The people feeding the fox did it for a selfish reason to get close-up photos without thinking about the consequences.  I haven't had any such issues with foxes being fed as I have seen a number of foxes being used to people due to feeding. But they're not jumping onto picnic tables.  Maybe the ones mentioned in the article live in an environment that is harsher or perhaps the feeding was over-done.  The foxes where I have seen people feed them were done sparingly so they were not walking up to people for a handout.

I have been very fortunate to observe and photograph a pair of foxes locally that are still wild and can be skittish.  I am sure people have fed them in the past but the photographers I know who photograph them do not.  One time I saw this couple leave 2 cups of what looked to be fois-de-gras for the foxes.  Once they left, I and another photographed picked up the food and dropped it into a garbage bin.  But the foxes regularly dig through these bins though.  One fox is tame and used to people but the other one is on the skittish side.  However, they do not run up to you looking for a handout.  They still keep their distance but are mostly not afraid of people.  The running up to people is something they would do if habituated (people as a source of food) over a period of time. 

Some dangerous animals to feed include bears and coyotes.  Many years ago while traveling the Cabot Trail in Cape Breton Natioanl Park, I swa people handing out pieces of a sandwich to a coyote.  This is the fastest I have seen of consequences.  The very next day, the warden had to close a trail where I saw the feeding the morning previous.  It was explained that a coyote had been following hikers around, walking right up to them.  The warden was trying to shoot the coyote as relocating would not work as they can find their way back.  Also, the association with humans and food was already ingrained in the animal. 

by Andrew_5488 on Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:05 pm
Andrew_5488
Forum Contributor
SantaFeJoe wrote:The loser in all this is the fox, but it is a bit more complicated than it appears. 

https://fstoppers.com/animal/foxes-whistleblowing-cancel-culture-and-david-yarrow-549565

Joe
No, it isn't. He did it because he's "big guy" and never cared much about animals or learned from his previous
experience and never got called for it. Well, times are changing. And hopefully people will more often expose
your ass. And yes, clicking your fingers, making noises, etc.  to get animal attention is as bad. You're still being an assh***
and worst of it because you're a "big guy" you're giving a bad example to all other people.

PS. I'm not for cancel culture but I'm for exposing assholes

by david fletcher on Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:58 am
david fletcher
Member #:00525
Andrew_5488 wrote:
SantaFeJoe wrote:The loser in all this is the fox, but it is a bit more complicated than it appears. 

Joe

PS............ but I'm for exposing assholes

Not mocking, nor disagreeing Andrew, but you might want to rephrase that.   :oops:   LOL.  (apologies for my dry old humour).
Make your life spectacular!

NSN00525

by Scott Fairbairn on Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:08 am
Scott Fairbairn
Forum Contributor
Member #:00437
I have no idea who the photographer is; I've never heard of him. But I do think you should be careful being judge and jury until a person is found guilty. Mainly because you usually only hear one side of the story, it is often emotionally charged, and the person could be not guilty. Once a gazillion posts go out there condemning someone, it is tough to remove that stigma if you turn out to be innocent.
I'm not condoning the photographer's behaviour, who, judging by posts I've seen about this issue, seems to confirm he's a jerk.

5 posts |