« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 8 posts | 
by OntPhoto on Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:35 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
On very cold days, my iPhone can drop to 1% or too cold to operate very quickly.  It's happened a few times this winter.  I could try and place the phone on the inside of the coat but that means opening the coat.  I was looking for suggestions and came across a product called Phoozy.  I want to try it on some very cold days.  Today was cold but warmed up later in the day.  It seems to work and is better than just putting the phone into a pocket of the jacket.  I'm just wondering how you keep your mobile phones warm so the battery will not drain quickly? 

by EGrav on Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:14 am
EGrav
Forum Contributor
It is pretty rare for me to use my phone when shooting, so it is kept in my shirt pocket under my jacket. I guess if you use a photo app (I don't), then it would be inconvenient.

Last edited by EGrav on Sun Feb 14, 2021 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by SantaFeJoe on Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:32 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
There are many types of phone warmers available. This is one that works like disposable hand warmers:

https://ignik.com/products/air-activated-phone-warmer

I never trust anything like this to not overheat, though. Sometimes they get too warm and they only seem to last so long unopened before they are useless. They only have a fixed shelf life. Any type of hand warmer should work, as long as you don’t let it overheat your phone and damage it.

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by OntPhoto on Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:43 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
Here's the Phoozy I was referring to.  I just got tired of seeing my iPhone drop to 1% so quick and too many times.  It could be that my iPhone is getting a bit old.  I have been told that the newer models have better batteries. 

I had no idea these were even made until I started to Google 'how to keep phone from losing battery power in very cold weather'.  It must detect I'm viewing the site from Canada because of the price displayed.  The USD is from $29 to $34 depending on design (camo is more expensive versus a plain cover). 

Phoozy Phone Warmer

by SVincent on Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:12 am
SVincent
Forum Contributor
I had the same issue and addressed it with an external battery that keeps the phone charged. Sometimes I need the phone to be available (and not tucked into an inner layer) and this works well for me. For example, I've been doing winter bird atlas work and enter info into eBird, or need to check atlas boundaries or confirm a bird song/chip. I've never had an issue since using the battery, but it does require the phone to be attached via a cable to the battery. I currently use a small Anker portable battery.

by SantaFeJoe on Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:18 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Here’s another idea for you:

https://youtu.be/XKxxkzQpVWY

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by Wildflower-nut on Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:27 pm
Wildflower-nut
Forum Contributor
keeping batteries warm or my phone has not been a problem. I keep them under my coat. I don't have to get to them very often sot it is not an issue.

by OntPhoto on Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:32 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
After trying it out, I can say the Phoozy actually does work.  I kept my iPhone in the Large Phoozy and put the Phoozy in an upper side coat pocket (sticking out of the coat pocket a bit) so it is still exposed to the cold.  Mind you, today wasn't super cold, -9* C (checked TWN site for last 24 hours) with windchill of -16* C, it is colder but should not affect the iPhone as windchill only affects exposed skin.

At -9* C, the battery level did not drop.  On even colder days, there is a bit of a drop in battery power but at least it doesn't drop to 1% battery level.  

8 posts |