All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 17 posts | 
by Jeff Colburn on Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:30 pm
Jeff Colburn
Forum Contributor
Hi,

When you’re out taking photographs in nature, you need to be responsible for your own security. If you’re like me, you can be hours or days away from any law enforcement, while carrying a few thousand dollars of camera gear. In this video I talk about a couple tools I use for my security and to protect my gear.

I hope you enjoy this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixD50eq74Pk&fbclid=IwAR0i2Nxxhr2sbstIDU_BrAevkMaTvWSsNZan6Hqw2IhtWDmLVhQE8MDxk7Y

How do you protect yourself and your gear out in nature?

Have Fun,
Jeff
Fine Art Prints and Stock Photography of Arizona www.JeffColburn.com See my ebooks in the NatureScapes Store.

by SantaFeJoe on Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:03 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
It’s not only out in nature where we need to be aware, as this couple found out the hard way:

https://www.dpreview.com/news/552722249 ... -francisco

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by StephenFitzpatrick on Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:27 am
StephenFitzpatrick
Forum Contributor
Two people attacked on a photo shoot in a San Diego park:
https://petapixel.com/2021/02/08/robber ... -struggle/

by SantaFeJoe on Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:19 am
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
StephenFitzpatrick wrote:Two people attacked on a photo shoot in a San Diego park:
https://petapixel.com/2021/02/08/robber ... -struggle/
And beware of black Honda sedans!!! Both incidents involved them as getaway vehicles.

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by OntPhoto on Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:22 am
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
There were reports of 2 alleged muggings (one I know of personally as I met the photographer) right here at a popular birding and photography location in Ottawa.  This was about 2 year years ago but have not heard of any recent incidents.  People talk.

by Jeff Colburn on Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:49 am
Jeff Colburn
Forum Contributor
SantaFeJoe wrote:It’s not only out in nature where we need to be aware, as this couple found out the hard way:

Joe

Hi,

Sometimes, no matter what precautions you take, you're still going to be a victim of crime. Whether you're shooting or not, always be aware of your surroundings.

Have Fun,
Jeff
Fine Art Prints and Stock Photography of Arizona www.JeffColburn.com See my ebooks in the NatureScapes Store.

by flygirl on Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:33 am
flygirl
Lifetime Member
Member #:00824
Being a woman also comes into the picture. I have a carry permit and always have my Ruger 9mm with me. But, also stay aware of my surroundings. I have had to show it twice, NOT shoot it, but show it and the two men left the scene. My equipment has insurance, but my body does not, you know what I mean.

by SantaFeJoe on Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:02 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Way to go, Nancy.

Joe

by Jeff Colburn on Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:58 pm
Jeff Colburn
Forum Contributor
flygirl wrote:Being a woman also comes into the picture.  I have a carry permit and always have my Ruger 9mm with me.  But, also stay aware of my surroundings.  I have had to show it twice, NOT shoot it, but show it and the two men left the scene.  My equipment has insurance, but my body does not, you know what I mean.
Hi Nancy,

I'm sorry you had those experiences, and I'm glad it all worked out in your favor. There used to be an older woman in Sedona that hiked alone. She wore a large holder while hiking. No gun, just the holster. When someone approached her on the trail she would unsnap the safety strap on the holster and put one hand behind her back, as if she was holding her gun there. She never had a problem on the trial.

Have Fun,
Jeff

by Ed Cordes on Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:25 pm
Ed Cordes
Forum Contributor
Member #:00700
flygirl wrote:Being a woman also comes into the picture.  I have a carry permit and always have my Ruger 9mm with me.  But, also stay aware of my surroundings.  I have had to show it twice, NOT shoot it, but show it and the two men left the scene.  My equipment has insurance, but my body does not, you know what I mean.
Good for you Nancy.  Excellent use of the deterrant.
Remember, a little mild insanity keeps us healthy

by DChan on Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:46 pm
DChan
Forum Contributor
Jeff Colburn wrote:
SantaFeJoe wrote:It’s not only out in nature where we need to be aware, as this couple found out the hard way:

Joe

Hi,

Sometimes, no matter what precautions you take, you're still going to be a victim of crime. Whether you're shooting or not, always be aware of your surroundings.

Have Fun,
Jeff

First rule of self-defense is situation awareness. Easier to do if you're photographing in a large open area, not so if you're surrounded with trees or when your eyes are glued to the camera. Perhaps we should learn from the birds: always look around you. Back then when I was working for a chain grocery store, we were told to make eye contact with everyone entering the store, i.e., greet them when they enter, make them aware that we know they're there (and you think they're just being friendly huh?). Sometimes this alone can make the other guy think twice.

Still, I'd say if another party is there to harm you, there's gonna be distraction or an ambush.

by StephenFitzpatrick on Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:33 pm
StephenFitzpatrick
Forum Contributor
Oh the irony.

A San Francisco reporter for a local news station was conducting an interview about theft problems in the Twin Peaks neighborhood when he was accosted at gunpoint and robbed of his camera.
https://petapixel.com/2021/03/05/report ... robberies/

by ChrisRoss on Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:37 pm
ChrisRoss
Forum Contributor
You know reading all of this just makes me so happy living where I do - I never give security a second thought when heading out into nature with gear - and touch wood I've never found myself in a situation that I felt threatened, nor have I heard of anyone in the same situation. People have gear stolen from cars and stuff and you need to be careful what you leave in cars, bu otherwise only come across other people interested in the same sort of thing I'm doing.

I'd think twice showing a pricey camera in certain areas of the city at night, but I avoid cities anyway.
Chris Ross
Sydney
Australia
http://www.aus-natural.com   Instagram: @ausnaturalimages  Now offering Fine Art printing Services

by SantaFeJoe on Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:58 am
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
ChrisRoss wrote:.......People have gear stolen from cars and stuff and you need to be careful what you leave in cars, bu otherwise only come across other people interested in the same sort of thing I'm doing.

I'd think twice showing a pricey camera in certain areas of the city at night, but I avoid cities anyway.
Yes, parked cars are vulnerable everywhere, even in Australia:

https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1961209

Why leave equipment where it is so easily accessible? Insurance is always a good idea!!!

Joe

by OntPhoto on Sun May 02, 2021 5:46 am
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
Another comment about "personal security" if that also includes your vehicle.  There are dashcams that have what they call "Parking Mode".  It senses that the vehicle has been turned off and the cameras will start to record once it senses motion.  Motion detection.  I have this setup and can tell you, it works really well.

So, when I am away from my car and taking photos or going for a walk on a trail, the dash cameras will record everything.  You can set the motion detection to different sensitivities.  You may not want it triggered when leaves move in a breeze.  Some models have a front and separate rear camera (wide angle lenses). They are very discrete and you'll have to look close to see the cameras.

A newer model has 3 cameras. One is meant for the interior of the vehicle (for Uber drivers, etc.) and has infrared lamps for night vision recording. It too is activated by motion detection.  The good part for me is that it can also record out the side of the car windows.  This way you have a security camera coverage for the whole vehicle.  If someone is walking from the front or back of your vehicle it will trigger the motion detection and the interior camera will record what they do if they get very close to your car.

You can view the videos recorded on your smart phone or later on your computer.  I use an external battery (I have 2 chained together for more runtime in Parking Mode - up to 60 hours for a 2 camera setup - ambient temperature may affect runtime).  You can choose to record in 2k or 4k or 1080p or lower bit rates.  2k and 4k will use more power.  1080k will use less power and where I get the up-to 60 hour runtime.  

You can chain together as many batteries as you want for even longer runtime capacity.  These batteries use Lithium Phosphate which is safer (can withstand more extreme temperatures) than lithium-ion like in your camera batteries.

Just thought I'd share that as your vehicle is pretty "personal".

Added:  Best way to charge some of these external dashcam batteries is using add-a-fuse / tap-a-fuse.  Charges much faster than using cig-lighter.  Tap-a-fuse is much easier than you think.  

by Jeff Colburn on Mon May 10, 2021 2:57 pm
Jeff Colburn
Forum Contributor
Hi,

Every so often we get rashes of cars being broken into at trailheads in Sedona. The cameras would be a great addition to your security.

Have Fun,
Jeff

by OntPhoto on Mon Jul 11, 2022 8:54 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
Check out this guy's 4 camera setup.  It covers the whole outside of his SUV, back, front and both sides.  I have a different setup but always looking for new ideas.  It would be expensive to do the ISP part in Canada as our internet rates are much higher than in the USA.  I just want to catch anyone doing something like keying your vehicle.  

Many of these dashcams use capacitors so can take the heat inside a car on a sunny summer's day. I always have a couple of dashcams running when my car is parked.  The motion detection mode can be iffy but I run it in low-bitrate mode and it records constantly. I can fast-forward thru a video fairly quickly.  HDD is very affordable these days so can back up footage and review later if you notice damage on the car. 

4 Channel Dashcam setup. 360 degree recording. 

17 posts |