Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 13 posts | 
by OntPhoto on Sat Jan 30, 2021 11:46 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
One of the best I have seen.  Very entertaining and moves along at a good pace.  The principal character in the story is a punk rock listener living in the Hamilton, Ontario area.  Along the way he meets up with a band member from the punk rock band R.A.M.B.O down in Philly.  The whole band was into the great outdoors and he was a birder.  This is NOT a boring doc. 

https://gem.cbc.ca/media/cbc-docs-pov/s ... 13365f2a47

by Ed1946 on Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:59 pm
Ed1946
Forum Contributor
Cannot be view in US. When I click on the link - "Your internet connection appears to not be located in Canada, you can not access CBC Gem due to rights issues"

by Scott Fairbairn on Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:54 am
Scott Fairbairn
Forum Contributor
Member #:00437
Yeah, can't access it from Ontario either.

by OntPhoto on Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:41 am
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
Ed1946 wrote:Cannot be view in US. When I click on the link - "Your internet connection appears to not be located in Canada, you can not access CBC Gem due to rights issues"
Too bad to hear that.  It is viewable in Canada.  I just clicked on the link and it played without any issue.  One ad before it plays.  There is a subscribe option and maybe that will allow viewing in the USA?  I just wish they would get rid of these zone restrictions as I have issues too when trying to view some US programming from Canada. 

by OntPhoto on Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:43 am
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
Rare Bird Alert (CBC on YouTube)

I see it is on YouTube.  Hope it works OK in the USA.  The main character in the documentary, Paul Riss owner of his own advertising agency and punk rock listener living in the Hamilton, Ontario area in Canada has over 240 latin names of birds tatooed on his body.  He did a Big Year in 2011 and wanted to change how the general public percieves to be the stereotypical birder (older, fishing vest and tilley hat wearing).  

It is a fun and entertaining documentary.  He named his daughter Georgia "Wren" Riss. Got her hooked on birding when a chickadee landed in her hand.  In one scene a birder is imitating a great horned owl call (wish I had the vocal talents to do that) and Paul Riss says, "when people watch this and they go, birders are insane.  I just want to remind them that runner's tape their nipples".  

He also makes a trip to Cape May in the USA for fall migration.  Then to Philadelphia to meet a punk band friend Tony.  And a very touching story about how birding saved this one person's life. 

"I think a lot of people these days, just because of where our world is at, are dealing with more anxiety.  You hear more people talking about anxiety issues.  This is one of the only things that just takes it away completely.  It just all melts away."  - Paul Riss  

Of course, as a wildlife photographer I feel the same way.   :)

Last edited by OntPhoto on Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:46 am, edited 2 times in total.

by ricardo00 on Fri Feb 05, 2021 2:02 pm
ricardo00
Forum Contributor
OntPhoto wrote:Rare Bird Alert (CBC on YouTube)

I see it is on YouTube.  Hope it works OK in the USA.  The main character in the documentary, Paul Riss owner of his own advertising agency and punk rock listener living in the Hamilton, Ontario area in Canada has over 240 latin names of birds tatooed on his body.  He did a Big Year in 2011 and wanted to change the stereotype of a birder (older, tilley hat wearing).  

It is a fun and entertaining documentary.  He named his daughter Georgia "Wren" Riss. Got her hooked on birding when a chickadee landed in her hand.  In one scene a birder is imitating a great horned owl call (wish I had the vocal talents to do that) and Paul Riss says, "when people watch this and they go, birders are insane.  I just want to remind them that runner's tape their nipples".  

He also makes a trip to Cape May in the USA for fall migration.  Then to Philadelphia to meet a punk band friend Tony.  And a very touching story about how birding saved this one person's life. 

"I think a lot of people these days, just because of where our world is at, are dealing with more anxiety.  You hear more people talking about anxiety issues.  This is one of the only things that just takes it away completely.  It just all melts away."  - Paul Riss  

Not sure why, but when I click on the link, says not available? 

by DChan on Fri Feb 05, 2021 3:30 pm
DChan
Forum Contributor
ricardo00 wrote:
OntPhoto wrote:Rare Bird Alert (CBC on YouTube)

I see it is on YouTube.  Hope it works OK in the USA.  The main character in the documentary, Paul Riss owner of his own advertising agency and punk rock listener living in the Hamilton, Ontario area in Canada has over 240 latin names of birds tatooed on his body.  He did a Big Year in 2011 and wanted to change the stereotype of a birder (older, tilley hat wearing).  

Not sure why, but when I click on the link, says not available? 
Looks like it's available to Canada only. If you use VPN, connect it to a surver in Canada and try again.

by OntPhoto on Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:16 am
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
Interesting. I thought all Youtube content was available worldwide (except for countries that have restrictions or censorship of some form).

by mortsgah on Sat Feb 06, 2021 12:57 pm
mortsgah
Forum Contributor
For the US folks, the idea of using a VPN and connecting to or through Canada worked for me to view the link.
erik
http://www.erikhagstrom.com

by DChan on Sat Feb 06, 2021 2:18 pm
DChan
Forum Contributor
OntPhoto wrote:Interesting.  I thought all Youtube content was available worldwide (except for countries that have restrictions or censorship of some form).

Guess you haven't spent enough time on Youtube :-)

Why are some YouTube videos blocked in other countries?

by OntPhoto on Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:44 am
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
DChan wrote:
OntPhoto wrote:Interesting.  I thought all Youtube content was available worldwide (except for countries that have restrictions or censorship of some form).

Au contraire. :)  I spend way too much time on Youtube.  Podcasts are hugely popular now.  It's probably killing talk radio.  Less people watch network TV programming as well.  Youtube is also great for product reviews and how-to videos.  I must have just missed (or don't remember) the 'content blocked if you are in another country' type videos.  Good to know. 

by DChan on Sun Feb 07, 2021 3:00 pm
DChan
Forum Contributor
OntPhoto wrote:
DChan wrote:

Au contraire. :)  I spend way too much time on Youtube.  Podcasts are hugely popular now.  It's probably killing talk radio.  Less people watch network TV programming as well.  Youtube is also great for product reviews and how-to videos.  I must have just missed (or don't remember) the 'content blocked if you are in another country' type videos.  Good to know. 
Your "...I thought all Youtube content was available worldwide (except for countries that have restrictions or censorship of some form)" suggests otherwise. That link above asking about blocked YouTube videos was five years old to begin with. Even some videos from the States are not viewable in Canada or other countries. It's not Youtube; it's the content provider who makes the decision. You need to explore more :wink: :D

by OntPhoto on Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:29 am
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
DChan wrote:
OntPhoto wrote:
DChan wrote:

Your "...I thought all Youtube content was available worldwide (except for countries that have restrictions or censorship of some form)" suggests otherwise. That link above asking about blocked YouTube videos was five years old to begin with. Even some videos from the States are not viewable in Canada or other countries. It's not Youtube; it's the content provider who makes the decision. You need to explore more :wink: :D
I spend enough time on Youtube.  Not going to explore more just so I can happen onto some location restricted videos unless there is a need to  :-)  Maybe I have been lucky to have missed the location restricted content.  So, it just may come down to the type of videos you search for.  My typical Youtube viewing is for reviews, how-to's, podcasts (mostly), some sports related videos, news, etc. 

13 posts |