« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 9 posts | 
by E.J. Peiker on Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:22 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Incredible losses by Nikon compared has the industry fearing that Nikon faces a similar uncertain fate as Olympus:
https://petapixel.com/2021/01/19/nikon- ... 720m-loss/

by Dan Kearl on Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:48 am
Dan Kearl
Forum Contributor
Member #:22021
Nikon deserves it.... there are still waiting lists for the D850 that they can't fill.. They make a product like the 500pf and then nobody can get them.
Terrible business model for a company that makes good products.

by Scott Fairbairn on Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:47 am
Scott Fairbairn
Forum Contributor
Member #:00437
I'd be sad to see Nikon go, I have fond memories of starting out with them...and also frustrating ones too. I love that 500 PF. I wish they had a mirrorless crop or high megapixel camera to go with it that could do birds. I bought the Z7 II but returned it after a week. It's improved over the first version, but it wasn't worth spending the money when it doesn't function well enough for me.
I shot Olympus for a few years too and unloaded it once I suspected they were going to fold. I'm starting to get the same feeling with Nikon, but I don't want to let the 500PF go yet.

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:25 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Scott Fairbairn wrote:I'd be sad to see Nikon go, I have fond memories of starting out with them...and also frustrating ones too. I love that 500 PF. I wish they had a mirrorless crop or high megapixel camera to go with it that could do birds. I bought the Z7 II but returned it after a week. It's improved over the first version,  but it wasn't worth spending the money when it doesn't function well enough for me.
I shot Olympus for a few years too and unloaded it once I suspected they were going to fold. I'm starting to get the same feeling with Nikon, but I don't want to let the 500PF go yet.
I seriously doubt that Nikon would disappear but selling it seems plausible, then it will depend on the new owners what the future is - similar to Olympus.  It all feels a little doomsdayish to me though, the name has a lot of value but it has really been poorly managed in recent years.  You never ever save your way out of a downturn.  the best businesses are strengthened by a downturn but Nikon seems to have decided that cuts are the best way forward when they rarely are.  They should have found an investor to keep R&D and development going several years ago so that they could have emerged stronger on the other side rather than on the ropes.  Just my opinion ;)

by DChan on Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:39 pm
DChan
Forum Contributor
Dan Kearl wrote:Nikon deserves it.... there are still waiting lists for the D850 that they can't fill.. They make a product like the 500pf and then nobody can get them.
Lucky me, when I wanted to buy my D850, I made a call and I picked it up in a couple of days. In Dec 2020, Amazon had a Nikon 500 f5.6 pf for sales and anyone could have ordered it and started shooting with it today. Just checked that Amazon.ca has four in stock as I write. Go order it if you want it.

Stupid me, I have no plan to sell my Olympus. And if Nikon goes down, I believe I'm still photographing my Nikon gears. Why not? They still work ! And I don't have to upgrade my Capture One, etc. for years to come :-)

by Scott Fairbairn on Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:54 am
Scott Fairbairn
Forum Contributor
Member #:00437
DChan wrote:
Dan Kearl wrote:Nikon deserves it.... there are still waiting lists for the D850 that they can't fill.. They make a product like the 500pf and then nobody can get them.
Lucky me, when I wanted to buy my D850, I made a call and I picked it up in a couple of days. In Dec 2020, Amazon had a Nikon 500 f5.6 pf for sales and anyone could have ordered it and started shooting with it today. Just checked that Amazon.ca has four in stock as I write. Go order it if you want it.

Stupid me, I have no plan to sell my Olympus. And if Nikon goes down, I believe I'm still photographing my Nikon gears. Why not? They still work ! And I don't have to upgrade my Capture One, etc. for years to come :-)

That's certainly true, but hanging onto gear isn't what manufacturers want or need. They want us to upgrade every couple of years. lol

by Langsey on Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:25 pm
Langsey
Forum Contributor
I read that Nikon is going to shift production to Thailand. Don't know if true.
John Langsenkamp
[url=http://www.naturescapes.net/membership.htm]NSN 0077[/url]

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:28 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Langsey wrote:I read that Nikon is going to shift production to Thailand. Don't know if true.
True, Nikon moved camera equipment production to Thailand but this is no biggie, they have been making cameras and lenses in Thailand for many years including the D850 which is still considered to be the best DSLR ever made.

by Jeff Colburn on Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:06 pm
Jeff Colburn
Forum Contributor
Hi,

I would hate to see Nikon go away. I used Nikons for decades when I shot film. I loved the FMs.

Have Fun,
Jeff
Fine Art Prints and Stock Photography of Arizona www.JeffColburn.com See my ebooks in the NatureScapes Store.

9 posts |