All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 7 posts | 
by SantaFeJoe on Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:23 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
DJI has been blacklisted by U.S. government:

https://www.dpreview.com/news/9052564107/chinese-drone-company-dji-added-us-economic-blacklist

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by WJaekel on Sun Dec 20, 2020 1:17 am
WJaekel
Forum Contributor
Let's see what comes next - maybe photogs aren't allowed to fly DJI drones anymore in the future  (i.e.  for E:J.'s nice drone photo, of the Factory Butte on the front page ;-))  - or visitors will be prohibited to bring DJI drones to the country, at least.  As it looks now, I probably wouldn't risk the trouble to get mine confiscated by the immigration folks and consequently leave it at home once I had to travel via an U.S. airport (after the pandemic). That said, from what I read, Apple also co-works with suppliers in China and smartphones are'nt secure either, btw - but that's certainly a different story.

Wolfgang

by aekn on Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:06 am
aekn
Forum Contributor
It would be good for photographers to understand the economic impact that supporting Chinese companies (or companies with large-scale production in China) for our hobbies/professions has on our lives and for our future.  Not to turn it into a political argument, but we've all been suffering for close to a year now due to a major accident or threat (pick whichever narrative you prefer) from China.

by WJaekel on Sun Dec 20, 2020 8:50 pm
WJaekel
Forum Contributor
aekn wrote:It would be good for photographers to understand the economic impact that supporting Chinese companies (or companies with large-scale production in China) for our hobbies/professions has on our lives and for our future.  Not to turn it into a political argument, but we've all been suffering for close to a year now due to a major accident or threat (pick whichever narrative you prefer) from China.
I don't think think that going back to protectionism and isolation will work in today's world where most companies and big players are globally linked. You'd need to cut and ban ALL their contacts, branches and supply chains with the Far East, at least- including important parts of your export economy which simply is unrealistic. General trade wars will have much more impact on the "lives and future" in the end than dji drones. I agree that sensitive and security relevant areas need to be prevented from being taken over, though. That said, I really can't see that photographers who use DJI drones will threaten the future with the ban rather being a pretext. If the home made products and offers would be better and attractive, people wouldn't buy dji drones. And the pandemic in fact is a real tragedy but I don't believe in the narrative of an intended attack. Since we shouldn't dive into political discussions here I leave it like that.

Wolfgang

by E.J. Peiker on Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:19 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
... Hasselblad is owned by DJI... :o

by DChan on Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:47 pm
DChan
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:... Hasselblad is owned by DJI... :o
darn, can't fly a Hasselblad anymore :-)

by Andrew_5488 on Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:13 am
Andrew_5488
Forum Contributor
aekn wrote:It would be good for photographers to understand the economic impact that supporting Chinese companies (or companies with large-scale production in China) for our hobbies/professions has on our lives and for our future.  Not to turn it into a political argument, but we've all been suffering for close to a year now due to a major accident or threat (pick whichever narrative you prefer) from China.
You're joking, right ?
Did China forced USA to move production of pretty much everything over there or did US companies chose to move production there?

7 posts |