Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 9 posts | 
by neverspook on Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:35 pm
neverspook
Forum Contributor
It looks like I will need glasses to see clearly in the distance now that I am getting older. I find that I can get a sharp image through the viewfinder without glasses by setting the diopter. So I can just slip them off for that and keep them on a cord around my neck. But for walking around and looking for wildlife, glasses seem to be in the cards for me. Does anyone have any suggestions for how to manage with glasses when out in the rain? I live in the Pacific NW where it rains all the time and even with a bit rain hat on, the lenses get dotted with raindrops, especially if there is any wind.

Thanks,
Roberta Olenick
Vancouver, BC
www.neverspook.com

by photoman4343 on Sat Dec 19, 2020 10:43 am
photoman4343
Forum Contributor
I have had the same issue for most of my life (now 77). I just learn to live with it and see through the raindrops on my glasses. (Fog from face masks for me is a bigger issue.) I do carry a lens cloth to clean my glasses from time to time. I do not use those small micro cloths but use the larger ones that you can find at most pharmacies or auto stores. .
Joe Smith

by SantaFeJoe on Sat Dec 19, 2020 12:12 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
You can get a hydrophobic coating on your eyeglasses when you order them. Ask your eyewear provider about it. There are also sprays(DO NOT try Rain-x) that are designed to keep water off eyeglass lenses, as well as anti-fog sprays available. You can Google info easily.
Here’s a link to some info, but do note that this is basically an ad:

https://www.goggles4u.com/what-you-need-to-know-about-hydrophobic-coating

I have been very impressed with Zeiss coatings:

https://www.zeiss.com/vision-care/us/for-eye-care-professionals/eyeglass-lens-products/coatings/zeiss-duravision-platinum.html

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by Wildflower-nut on Sat Dec 19, 2020 12:49 pm
Wildflower-nut
Forum Contributor
Wear hat with wide brim like Tilley. The rim on tilley flexes easily when you look thorough viewfinder and puts a roof over glasses. I use bifocals around my neck and slip them under my coat and dark glasses just for distance not on a string. Cataract surgery helps too as I'm now almost 20/20 without glasses. Carry packtowl to wipe dry as needed. In winter, I wear a wool Stormy Kromer hat under my hood. Brim not as flexible but shields glasses and keeps hood from sliding down over my face. I have had to wear glasses all my life and as suggested, you will have to learn to live with some inconvenience.

by SantaFeJoe on Sat Dec 19, 2020 2:00 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Here’s a little bit more info on hydrophobic coatings and lens fog resistant sprays:

https://www.2020mag.com/ce/lens-care-it ... hing-worth

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by signgrap on Sat Dec 19, 2020 2:26 pm
signgrap
Lifetime Member
Member #:00424
I've worn glasses all my life, wearing a wide brimmed hat works for most rain except for when it's windy. The Zeiss coatings are great, but expensive, in my opinion worth every cent. Not sure that it will get rid of all the rain drops though - I wash my glasses with soap and water all the time but the Zeiss coating still lets water drops remain on my glasses after being rinsed. The coatings do keep the glasses much cleaner.
Dick Ludwig

by DChan on Sat Dec 19, 2020 6:15 pm
DChan
Forum Contributor
I've never heard anyone who wear glasses has any rain management program for wearing glasses in the rain. The only time that you will have your glasses covered with so much rain that you can't see through them anymore is when you are fully exposed in the rain, meaning you're not wearing a hat, a hoodie or using an umbrella and it's windy. Pacific NW has a lot of rain in the later half of the year but it's nothing like the kind you see in the Amazon, South East Asia or other parts of this planet Earth. Comparing to those areas, the rain in Pacific NW is nothing. Sure, you likely will have some tiny rain droplets on the glasses but it's not gonna be an issue at all. Now if you insist in photographing in a rain storm with no cover that's another story. I don't think any coating will help at all. So the rain droplets sliding/bouncing off your glasses, but it still water droplets on your lenses even though momentarily, right? If you're worrying about your vision, you don't think that still affects your seeing, I mean, your glasses are still bombarded by the rain?? Based on my experiences in shooting in the misty rain, fogging could be more an issue actually both on your eye-glasses and your camera lenses. Still, nothing major that stopped me from seeing what I needed to see and getting the pictures I wanted. Well, good AF helps, too, obviously :-)

And don't even bother buying all those lens cleaning products like the link posted above suggested. All you need is a tiny bit of dish detergent, lukewarm water and a piece of microfibre cloth (the one that comes with your glasses is fine). Even if the dish detergent may hurt the lens coating, it's not gonna be an issue before you need a new pair of glasses.

by neverspook on Sat Dec 19, 2020 10:47 pm
neverspook
Forum Contributor
Thanks, everyone.

by Jeff Colburn on Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:41 am
Jeff Colburn
Forum Contributor
Hi,

I just wear a baseball hat and deal with rain on my lenses. If it's really windy and rainy I call it a day as my lens will also be covered in rain drops.

Have Fun,
Jeff
Fine Art Prints and Stock Photography of Arizona www.JeffColburn.com See my ebooks in the NatureScapes Store.

9 posts |