Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 3 posts | 
by Kerry on Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:38 am
Kerry
Forum Contributor
I've been to White Sands once, more than 13 years ago, and may have the opportunity to return in a few months when I expect to be driving through the area.  I remember that the park is gated every morning and evening; when I was there, you had to get a permit to enter before sunrise and to stay in place at night, but you could hang around for awhile after sunset as a matter of course.  Or, you could camp in the backcountry and avoid the permit issue entirely.

I checked the park's website and I see that, due to COVID-19, there are no permits being issued for early arrival/staying into the night and backcountry camping is prohibited.  What I can't tell from the site is whether the general hours of admittance are unchanged.  That is, are they still opening the gate a bit after sunrise and can you still stay through sunset (and the evening glow) before you have to leave?  Does anyone know?

I'll try and contact someone with the park if need be but thought if anyone here knew I could save myself the trouble.

Thanks.

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:26 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Have you seen this page Kerry?
https://www.nps.gov/whsa/planyourvisit/hours.htm

by Kerry on Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:22 pm
Kerry
Forum Contributor
No, thanks E.J.!

3 posts |